Singapore Expats

What to bring to Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ttujess

Post by ttujess » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:28 pm

I am back home now for a couple of weeks and I am stocking up on sunscreen, cosmetics and shaving cream to bring back.

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 8:30 am

djfiii wrote:All good tips, thanks!

I tend to use Advil and Ibuprofen interchangeably, so perhaps I am confusing the two. I definitely don't want to smuggle anything in :) It might be the case that she was told you can only get Ibuprofen in tiny packets (as opposed to by scrip only), and that we should bring one of those big jugs with us.
Yes, I should have been clearer on my post. You can get Nurofen in small packs but the most annoying thing is that you have to get it from the pharmacist him/herself. In the Guardians near me the pharmacists start work late, have a lunch break and it seems that whenever I need stuff that they have to dispense they are not there.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:04 am

Bring an open mind and a good sense of humour.
Everything else is available here.

P.S.: I wouldn't bring dogs or other animals, as the import procedures are troublesome (quarantine!) and costly. I also doubt that a temperate-climate dog would like tropical conditions.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:07 am

I wish I'd bought my George Forman grill but other than that you can get most things here that you can back home the only problem is, is that it will be more expensive here.

Suncream is expensive and you can't get lower factors, probably due to the obsession for white skin. Which brings me onto face creams. If you/your wife has a favourite brand you may want to stock up on a few bottles. A lot of the creams contain whitening agents and my favourite brand Oil of Olay is double what I pay in the UK.

Baby clothes are crazy prices here and the best stocked shop for essentials is Mothercare but again, it costs nearly double what I would pay in the UK so I tend to make the most of the sales when they are on here. Either that or I save it for when I can get baby clothes from the UK supermarkets or Target/Big W whenever I go to Oz.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:13 am

beppi wrote:Bring an open mind and a good sense of humour.
Copycat :P

Anyway, just realise the OP is American so will need to discover a sense of humour first :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:34 am

Saint wrote: Anyway, just realise the OP is American so will need to discover a sense of humour first :lol:
:tongue: :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 1:59 pm

snowqueen wrote:I wish I'd bought my George Forman grill

Suncream is expensive and you can't get lower factors, probably due to the obsession for white skin.
For George Forman style grill, head to Tangs basement. Three or four similar machines available there.

Living pretty much on the equator, with British skin I am glad for the high factor sun creams...oddly high incidents of melanoma amongst expats who treat the sun like a 24/7 vacation and end up overexposed!

Trying to find a clicky regarding the sun thing...can't lay my hands on it right now. I do remember kidney stones are prevalent too, according to the article. Drink more water!

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 2:04 pm

beppi wrote:P.S.: I wouldn't bring dogs or other animals, as the import procedures are troublesome (quarantine!) and costly. I also doubt that a temperate-climate dog would like tropical conditions.
10 cents bet you’re not a dog owner… You can’t throw in a comment like that out the blue, they are family members and loved as such, not just put in the garage sale pile when you’re packing…

Ignore anyway, dogs are fine here…

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 2:15 pm

AndyD wrote:
beppi wrote:P.S.: I wouldn't bring dogs or other animals, as the import procedures are troublesome (quarantine!) and costly. I also doubt that a temperate-climate dog would like tropical conditions.
10 cents bet you’re not a dog owner… You can’t throw in a comment like that out the blue, they are family members and loved as such, not just put in the garage sale pile when you’re packing…

Ignore anyway, dogs are fine here…
I adopted a Singapore stray cat years ago, who despite being born here always had heat rashes (according to the vet!) and scratched her fur until bare skin was visible.
We took her with us to Europe, where she developed a beautiful fur and was obviously happier and healthier.
When we returned to Singapore, we left her with my Mom and believe this is in her best interest (not only because of the excessive paperwork and quarantine required here).
I still miss her, so we Skype every week (with my Mom).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 3:36 pm

If you use lip-balm, 'the Original Chapstick', you'll know nothing else is the same. Bring a stock, as you can't get them in SG (or anywhere else I've seen in Asia)...

p.s. keep in mind most white goods/appliances are designed for 60cm wide units. Might as well leave bigger baking trays etc at home...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 4:16 pm

JR8 wrote:If you use lip-balm, 'the Original Chapstick', you'll know nothing else is the same. Bring a stock, as you can't get them in SG (or anywhere else I've seen in Asia)...
FYI, there's "the Original Chapstick" in the Philippines.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:30 pm

Our dogs and cats are just fine here, no worries. I'd say their quality of life in Singapore is higher by a few measurements then if we lived a typical 2 income life in the US. We did leave behind a 12 year old Maine Coon cat when we moved to Singapore originally, but for most cats & dogs, Singapore is great. I'm not sure I'd make the move without them.

djfiii

Post by djfiii » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:51 pm

P.S.: I wouldn't bring dogs or other animals, as the import procedures are troublesome (quarantine!) and costly. I also doubt that a temperate-climate dog would like tropical conditions.
heh, we have two dogs and they are like our kids so we will definitely be bringing them, but we are aware of the cost / inconvenience of quarantine. One of them is an english bulldog, so we are also aware of the heat concerns. Fortunately her favorite activity is sleeping on the couch in the A/C :)

djfiii

Post by djfiii » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:59 pm

Saint wrote:
Copycat :P

Anyway, just realise the OP is American so will need to discover a sense of humour first :lol:
Ouch!

Well, fortunately my wife and I are very well traveled and are probably unlike the stereotypical American (the wife actually lived and worked in London for 2 years). I expect we'll fit in very well with the expat crowd :)

Thanks for all of the tips!

Sunblock, chapstick, foreman grill, Ibuprofen. Check!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 4:04 pm

djfiii wrote: One of them is an english bulldog, so we are also aware of the heat concerns. Fortunately her favorite activity is sleeping on the couch in the A/C :)

God, sounds just like my wife!

(Only joking sweetest!)

p.s. Another thing to watch, is bedding/bed-linen sizes. If you're bringing US beds/mattresses bring enough linen, as all your (US) sizes are different... I've racked my brains and honestly can't think of anything else that you're really going to miss (i.e. can't get in SG)