Singapore Expats

EP renewal rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 6:29 pm

If you do that via local facilities, it will definitely help in the future as it show you are continuing to learn more, thus able to contribute more to the local economy, yadda, yadda, yadda. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 6:03 pm

Ever thought of applying for a PEP? Might be an option if you meet the salary criteria?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 6:33 pm

pilotmoon wrote:i should add, our HR think this is election-related (what does this mean exactly, I'm not sure). We feel there is nothing wrong with my credentials, as my P2 pass have been approved 3 times previously (original plus 2 renewals) and my salary has increased every year. :???:

Based on the facts provided by the OP, since he is on a P2 pass and has 3 years of experience on the same pass, he should be eligible to apply for an PEP.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 6:50 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
pilotmoon wrote:i should add, our HR think this is election-related (what does this mean exactly, I'm not sure). We feel there is nothing wrong with my credentials, as my P2 pass have been approved 3 times previously (original plus 2 renewals) and my salary has increased every year. :???:

Based on the facts provided by the OP, since he is on a P2 pass and has 3 years of experience on the same pass, he should be eligible to apply for an PEP.
You should try and read the whole thread, someone might have already suggested that

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 7:02 pm

Saint wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

You should try and read the whole thread, someone might have already suggested that
Saint,
I said that because you had quoted
>>Might be an option if you meet the salary criteria?
OP is already meeting the Salary criteria and also on a P2 pass for past 3 years. So he is surely eligible.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Saint wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Saint,
I said that because you had quoted
>>Might be an option if you meet the salary criteria?
OP is already meeting the Salary criteria and also on a P2 pass for past 3 years. So he is surely eligible.
singaporeflyer, you really have to start reading the whole thread and/or reading for content............. :-|
Saint wrote:Ever thought of applying for a PEP? Might be an option if you meet the salary criteria?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pilotmoon

Post by pilotmoon » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:32 am

Heard back from MOM early today, my written appeal got rejected :( My boss and HR are preparing now to go to MOM personally either later today or tomorrow. Hope this works ... :)

Another option we are looking at if the appeal really doesnt succeed is to make a new application for me, and use a 3rd party as an employer (like some of those recruitment agencies i guess). I dont know if this has better chances. but i guess it wouldnt hurt to try if it really has to come to this. Thoughts or advice anyone?
go brazil!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:45 am

Have you not considered the PEP option :?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:30 am

Frankly, I don't think the PEP option will fly now considering his renewal has been rejected as well as the appeal. The only unknown is the reason for the rejection. If it were due to quotas I would understand but EP's aren't subject to quotas.

Therefore, It's possible that OP is doing a job that MOM now feels there are sufficient locals/PRs available to do it. That or OP now falls outside of tightened up academic criteria (for whatever reason - I lost two early this year for that reason - no longer qualified).

If OP is very lucky, a face-to-face might turn the tide.

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 1:37 pm

Hm, this is a little bit worrying. Is this something that is getting more common - current EP holders not being able to renew? If so, then aren't we all in danger until elections are over?

Or is this a rarity, perhaps OP has a blemish on his record in the past 3 years? Like fines or arrests while in Singapore?

:?
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

pilotmoon

Post by pilotmoon » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:04 pm

No fines or arrests for me 8-)
Just heard from our HR, actually several employees in our company has their ep renewal rejected lately. So now they think it is something to do with the company itself, the employer.
Hopefully it all works out :)
go brazil!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 7:30 pm

As I said, I've had a couple of renewals rejected as well. But I have no issues with MOM. In fact, we are constantly have renewals every month. So far I've had two rejections but they were earlier this year. None since but that's not saying it won't happen again. They have tightened up on the criteria. For instance, if you had hired a "technician" on an S pass because he was from Myanmar and previously had a degree (famous for their "distance learning" degrees which are basically a joke) in administration or some such, you can be that it would not be renewed this time around as the degree and previous experience was not even remotely related. This has be the fault of MOM due to laxity on their part (then they needed the labour so closed one eye). Now, with more rigidity they no longer pass muster. Doesn't seem fair I know, but it's Singapore's ball & field.

pilotmoon

Post by pilotmoon » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:28 am

Guess what, my ep got approved :D
My boss and hr went to MOM yesterday, spoke with the officer who handled my case. The MOM officer first went through the application, then asked about the company's staffing policy. The HR was able to provide the info. Then the officer proceeded to ask my boss what my
current responsibilities are, which my boss answered, and he also added
that this year I will have a couple extra responsibilities, so basically I will have a slightly increased role in our department's operations. According to my boss, the MOM officer never said a word or showed any reaction while my boss or the HR was talking. So after these two questions, the MOM officer took the folder, went to the back, then reappeared after 2 minutes and promptly said the application is approved. I have my IPA now, and will go to MOM tomorrow to claim my card :D
go brazil!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:12 am

Congratulations. Sometimes, as I said, a face-to-face works. Not always, but at least this time it did. Now you can breath easy. :wink:

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:13 am

Congratulations =D>