Singapore Expats

I want to work in Singapore. Unrealistic?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 1:01 am

Mad Scientist wrote: I am serious, a few of my friends lost their jobs here and can't find any. So happen there were vacancy for a kindy teachers in Japan.They wanted Ang Moh. Three of them took it up. One thing lead to another, there have been there for two years now which was meant to be six months only.

I was just giving option to him since he is taking Japanese Proficiency Test in Dec. This is an option he might wants to consider.
What is wrong with that ?
I don't altogether doubt what you say given your many other excellent posts here, but I doubt if the event you describe is that common. Most foreigners that are fortunate enough to have a degree and are under 30 try for the JET scheme (I assume it still exists) which usually has more applicants than vacancies and yes friends not infrequently fall out.

As for foreigners finding jobs outside teaching, most I presume would be in Tokyo where it is very difficult unless somebody had been living in the city along time. I would be the first to admit my information could be out of date but in these recessionary times I doubt it, not to mention Japan's economic problems.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 4:19 am

Plavt wrote: I don't altogether doubt what you say given many other excellent posts here, but I doubt if the event you describe is that common. Most foreigners that are fortunate enough to have a degree and are under 30 try for the JET (I assume it still exists) scheme which like many has more applicants than vacancies and yes friends not infrequently fall out.

As for foreigners finding jobs outside teaching, most I presume would be in Tokyo where it is very difficult unless somebody had been living in the city along time. I would be the first to admit my information could be out of date but in these recessionary times I doubt it, not to mention Japan's economic problems.
Honestly Plavt, I really do not know how they got it. As this happened two years ago but they got it. One day they were there, next day they were gone teaching in some kindy in Japan. Funny part is none of them are from teaching industry.When one is desperate and back against the wall, one will try anything to have food on the table.
Anyway I was trying to help OP as he is seems wanting to find any job at all overseas. I do not doubt at all on what you say given the current times :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jeskri

Post by jeskri » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 3:43 am

even i want to work overseas before i grow too old :cry: ( i am already 30) and before my mom again start nagging me to get married. :shock:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 4:10 am

jeskri wrote:even i want to work overseas before i grow too old :cry: ( i am already 30) and before my mom again start nagging me to get married. :shock:
:???: :???: :???:

=; =;

[-X

:wave:

:shooting:

:twisted:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jeskri

Post by jeskri » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 5:28 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
jeskri wrote:even i want to work overseas before i grow too old :cry: ( i am already 30) and before my mom again start nagging me to get married. :shock:
:???: :???: :???:

=; =;

[-X

:wave:

:shooting:

:twisted:
:P :cool:

pedrito

Similar situation here

Post by pedrito » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 1:35 am

Hi everyone!!!

I have read through this Thread, and found the information provided very interesting. I am in a similar situation as tennisdude818 and would like to outline my plan for Singapore to you all.

Background

-Finished University Studies in Law and Finance (Bachelor+ Master) in 2008
-Initial work experience (internships, trainee-ships): in Global Banking (6 months) and Finance Department of an industrial firm (7 months). All temporary contracts, since December 2009 with no job!
-Fluent in English, German and Spanish (all at native level). Basic knowledge of Mandarin >> 6 months Language Course in China
-27 Years old

Objective
Establish myself in Singapore and obtain a job in the finance or shipping sector. Return to home country (> 20% unemployment) not an option :D

The plan
-EPEC has been approved a couple of days ago
-Will apply for the ICS-ITI Foundation Shipping Programme http://www.smu.edu.sg/centres/iti/ProEd ... erview.asp , to keep me busy and to improve my employment possibilities

-Flight to Singapore (beginning of August), with return flight scheduled <3 months later (it's a requirement?)
-Obtain 3 month Social Visit Pass on entry to Singapore
-First two weeks: Staying in a Hostel and searching for a better accomodation. Is it possible to rent a flat with a Social Visit Pass?
Job Search and Shipping Programme will start here. Probably also make use of a Career Advisor to guide me and adjust my documents to local taste (any suggestion here? Sandbox Advisors only ones I know!)
-Once established in a permanent accomodation, apply for a Long Term Visa (1 year) to avoid having to leave Singapore every 3 months. With the EPEC Certificate I have good chances of obtaining a 1-year Visa.

-By 2011 or earlier obtain a job, that will pay 2500 SGD a month, to obtain Employment Pass. And hopefully passing Shipping Foundation Diploma in April 2011.

MISSION COMPLETED!

Paying 30.000-40.000 SGD for a Master unfortunately is not a possibility.

Is this a good plan?

Any feedback is appreciated! :D

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:16 pm

-First two weeks: Staying in a Hostel and searching for a better accomodation. Is it possible to rent a flat with a Social Visit Pass?
you may not get a whole flat but you can rent a room but you must find an owner willing to accomodate you until you get some sort of pass.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:45 pm

What carlsum1986 neglected to tell you though, is that it is against the law to rent to someone who does not have a residency visa of some sort. So, if you do find someone to rent you a room, you are putting the landlord at risk and yourself as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 3:01 pm

yes that is true that is why i said willing to find a landlord to accomodate...

pedrito

Post by pedrito » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks for your replies.

But with a 1-year Visa granted for job search (EPEC) I would have no problem, to rent a room/flat for that time period?

How long could it take to obtain that Visa?

I know that with EPEC not in all cases, a 1 year Visa is granted!

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Similar situation here

Post by madura » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 7:39 pm

pedrito wrote:Paying 30.000-40.000 SGD for a Master unfortunately is not a possibility.
Why is it not a possibility?

It is common for fresh bachelor grads to be paid 40000 and upwards (especially for finance!) and they don't even come with knowledge of four languages.

pedrito

Re: Similar situation here

Post by pedrito » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 8:29 pm

madura wrote:
pedrito wrote:Paying 30.000-40.000 SGD for a Master unfortunately is not a possibility.
Why is it not a possibility?

It is common for fresh bachelor grads to be paid 40000 and upwards (especially for finance!) and they don't even come with knowledge of four languages.
I mean spending 30.000-40.000 SGD to study a Master in Singapore, and so have better possibilities to obtain a job later on. The local Universities in Singapore have better contacts to the corporations established there. You would also acquire local university studies that are more known to a possible future employer.

Its a money and time (application process is long) question. I would like to move next month to Singapore, and not exclusively dedicate my energies into a job search.
It would create too much of a gap in my CV.

That's why I am considering Ship Broking to keep me busy and as a future career possibility.
Mandarin or a Business Course would be also interesting but I haven't found something at a reasonable price or that would start in August/September.

I checked Inlingua and its like a 1600 SGD per month. Business Courses (Certificates): I have problems with the start dates and there isn't much on offer, that is decent.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 8:47 pm

pedrito wrote:Thanks for your replies.

But with a 1-year Visa granted for job search (EPEC) I would have no problem, to rent a room/flat for that time period?

yes you would have no problem to rent a room/flat.
it takes 4 weeks to approve.

pedrito

Post by pedrito » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 9:09 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:
pedrito wrote:Thanks for your replies.

yes you would have no problem to rent a room/flat.
it takes 4 weeks to approve.
Thanks mate!!

To follow the rules:

-I would have to live in a hostel/hotel for a month at least
-Apply for the visa with the Address of my hostel/hotel, as I can't apply from my home country
-Wait for the Visa to be approved and then go searching for a "long term accommodation".

:shock: :D

quicksights

Post by quicksights » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 9:33 am

I am new here

for me applying in Singapore has become, unrealistic
I have been applying for almost 1 year now since recession. Having been retrenched here in the Philippines. I have about 5 years experience
in Embedded/Firmware Software Engineering and Design Engineering. I am looking a job in this field but no interviews at all. What frustrating sometimes is I can really perform the job posted online. I have experience and I do this electronics and programming as a personal hobby. I guess I will take it easy for now on applying in Singapore and take a break.

I applied in some jobs in New Zealand and Australia, at least, I got some replies.