Singapore Expats

Pest Control Recommendations

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Pest Control Recommendations

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:44 am

First of all: NO TOUTING.

Ok, saw SMS' links on his sig. Can anyone NOT RELATED TO THE BUSINESSES aside from being satisfied customers, give their testimonials/recommendations? The culprit: bed bugs. I want that nice balance of cost vs. effectiveness because I don't make as much money as I'd like to.

And before someone gives uninformed advice, I did my homework so I'll know if someone is talking hokum.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 1:08 am

sorry, no experience or advice.

good luck! Those buggers may be crawling around your apartment as well, not just your bed

in australia, one current affair show raided a hotel that had a bad reputation for bed bugs, and they were everywhere.. even on the edges of the carpets/walls

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 3:37 am

The DIY works for me, I use a vax 2000 wet & dry hoover on the mattress and then use a spray, works a treat, those buggers love my bottom :lol: Just like a new born baby :wink: I get the maid to do it every 3 months, though you have to show them how to do it correctly. May need doing monthly or even every 2 weeks if its bad but it is easy.

The are only in the centre of the bed at first light for their vampire activities when the body gets quite hot and humid, then feed and run, hide in the edges of the mattress, all the way around. Some fall from the ceiling too! So the room needs a very good going over! Only happens occasionally now.

I see a great deal of people in Singapore with bed bug bites, some are very sever, I guess they do not know about them, young children are covered in bites on their legs, its really bad.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 7:03 am

ksl, that's what you get for doing a half-way job. The place needs to be fumigated and not just the mattress treated although that's a start. But, as splatted mentioned, the house is probably infested so just doing a bed won't get it. They just crawl back out of cracks, nooks & crannies and reinfest again. (Oh, Nagatago, don't worry. We don't do fumigations anyway - and I'm an equal opportunity link server - only half of them are related. ) :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 8:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: - only half of them are related. ) :P
Dangnabbit; you're practically asian already!

I managed to kill a lot of them when I discovered them. But every now and then, there are a few sightings and itchy nights. I'm confident to say I significantly reduced their numbers but I'm contemplating complete annihilation now.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:05 am

we've used this company in the past for ghost ants (recommended by neighbor):

Fumiga (Pte) Ltd
Blk 265 Serangoon Central Dr #03-269
550265 Singapore
Phone: 6285 6745

they were reliable and not too expensive (didn't try and upsell either)

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 04 Jul 2010 11:19 am

one of the current affair shows back in Melbourne had a segment on hot beds and bedbugs again...

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/articl ... etter-beds