Singapore Expats

renting HDB

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

renting HDB

Post by Splatted » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 5:23 pm

A friend of mine is moving to Singapore next week, and I was wanting to help him find a HDB flat for rent.

Are there any ways of finding a flat without using an agent? (eg some public hdb rental listing site)

I actually have a relative on my wife's side of the family who is an agent, and who was offering me (being related and all) 50% discount on agent commission, but I'm thinking even this is a huge rip-off.

(Please PM me rather than advertise any sites here)

nakatago

Re: renting HDB

Post by nakatago » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 5:30 pm

Splatted wrote:A friend of mine is moving to Singapore next week, and I was wanting to help him find a HDB flat for rent.

Are there any ways of finding a flat without using an agent? (eg some public hdb rental listing site)
Theoretically, yes but if you're scouring postings, it's very rare that one of them WASN'T posted by an agent.

Splatted wrote:I actually have a relative on my wife's side of the family who is an agent, and who was offering me (being related and all) 50% discount on agent commission, but I'm thinking even this is a huge rip-off.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 1:48 pm

You can have a look at the classifieds in Strait times, saturday edition. Even there majority are advertized by agents. But there are chances you may run into occasional owner ads.

It is really baffling though why do owners keep going to agents to find tenants, when they themselves have to pay a month's commission. The reach of internet is widespread here and they could save so much money by advertizing directly.

But I guess that will impact the GDP of Singapore significantly as a huge of number of property agents will be rendered jobless and also the cars that they move in will not be needed either. :lol:

skpsiva

Post by skpsiva » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 1:57 pm

revhappy wrote:You can have a look at the classifieds in Strait times, saturday edition. Even there majority are advertized by agents. But there are chances you may run into occasional owner ads.

It is really baffling though why do owners keep going to agents to find tenants, when they themselves have to pay a month's commission. The reach of internet is widespread here and they could save so much money by advertizing directly.

But I guess that will impact the GDP of Singapore significantly as a huge of number of property agents will be rendered jobless and also the cars that they move in will not be needed either. :lol:
You are right; but still need agent service as to manage balance..............

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:09 pm

skpsiva wrote: You are right; but still need agent service as to manage balance..............
Why?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

skpsiva

Post by skpsiva » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
skpsiva wrote: You are right; but still need agent service as to manage balance..............
Why?
Some people who are going abroad and renting the house they may appont an agent same as companies as well... many reasons ya...

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:18 pm

skpsiva wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Why?
Some people who are going abroad and renting the house they may appont an agent same as companies as well... many reasons ya...
The Landlord would need an Agent then but not the tenant.

skpsiva

Post by skpsiva » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:20 pm

Saint wrote:
skpsiva wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Why?
The Landlord would need an Agent then but not the tenant.
You are right ....I need to explore when a tenant need an agent.. hahahah!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 5:21 pm

:roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 3:54 pm

Well, when I came to Singapore, I needed one as a tenant. I simply did not have the time nor the patience to look for a place. Plus, I did not have a car. And we viewed many places!

vidya463

Post by vidya463 » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:44 am

I remember there was a case a couple of years back, must be 2001 or 2002, where an old lady was jailed for 6 months for renting her flat to a person whose WP/EP had expired and had over stayed. House owners were very much reluctant to rentout there flats without agents who were supposed to verify the validity of the WP/EP.
Keep smiling like a flower
Which never bothers about its death.