Singapore Expats

The World Cup and soceer's slipping standards

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 2:53 pm

februus wrote:anneteoh, i think you are missing the point. let me make mine again....

even after last night i would rather have no video technology and it meant my country having a goal unfairly disallowed. when your country get to the world cup finals, you can have your say.
Most of us are aware of our complicated DNAs today but if you're still a neanderthal, you might not understand I'm British of Malaysian birth and Chinese ethnicity.I have my say now so shut your ears. China will never get to world cup finals - they've been sitting on silk cushions for too long and doing revolutions and businesses in between. What do you know anyway. LOL
Last edited by anneteoh on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 3:06 pm

kraikk wrote:Matches like last night have converted me to a believer in instant replay. The other game this year was Armando Galarraga's imperfect game. It seems to me that soccer and baseball are getting too comfortable in their popularity that the top brass are reluctant to change. Every other sport has gotten past their "human element" hang ups and admitted that cameras get it right almost all the time: tennis, American football, rugby, even cricket.
Glad to hear your voice on this. Yes, the most respectable football commentator, agreed last night that football was hundreds of years behind other sports where technology's concerned. There're two issues.
1. Footballers are not allowed to challenge the game like tennis players are with instant camera replay. The subtext is they're treated like gladiators, with no rights to question the limitations of referees, many of whom make gross errors that pose this question - is football still a sport if fairness is not a criteria to bother with?
2. The commentator made a point about the cost of having extra referees e.g. to stand by the goal posts ! Compare that to the overpaid footballer players and the whole issue of money and football as a sport slaps at one's intelligence, even if one's just being sensible.
What kind of fans that allow such basic blunders going on in their game?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 5:44 pm

Football at this level is no longer a sport, it hasn't been for years, so goal-line technology is a necessity for securing millions of dollars in revenue.

The problem is...... are we sure the referee is not working for some Russian gambling mob? Football was overtaken by all those around them in the real world about how to get the most out of the game. FIFA gets much less out of the deal than it probably thinks itself that it does.

It is correct that human error gets people talking about the game etc. and builds up emotional response but if fans cannot respect the results or the spirit of the game then all is lost.

Football chiefs hate looking at rugby as the way to do things. The two sports in themselves are like Germany and England in their rivalry but FIFA have to wake up and finally concede that what the RFU did years ago is working out very well for the sport.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:46 pm

should have known the English will be up in arms about the second goal but hey you know that even if that goal was allowed the Germans would have won the game. :P

I don 't think the ref would be working for a Russian gambling mob but most likely a Chinese triad :wink:

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 5:34 pm

[quote="ScoobyDoes"]Football at this level is no longer a sport, it hasn't been for years, so goal-line technology is a necessity for securing millions of dollars in revenue.

In the last few days, many eminent people in the sports world have come out to express similar views.

The problem is...... are we sure the referee is not working for some Russian gambling mob? Football was overtaken by all those around them in the real world about how to get the most out of the game. FIFA gets much less out of the deal than it probably thinks itself that it does.

True that fixing is a problem as past investigations revealed. Sometimes the same occur at music competitions and people mutter about'rigging' behind the scene. The sport's world is supported by rich and powerful barons. I'm not sure if they're patrons or gamblers, or worse, if any is involved with fixing.

It is correct that human error gets people talking about the game etc. and builds up emotional response but if fans cannot respect the results or the spirit of the game then all is lost.

That was the quick response given by the chairman (?) of FIFA. The high frequency of unnoticed fouls, poor judgement and outright cheating have definitely taken away the enjoyment and respect one has for football. There should be no victims in a fair game.

Football chiefs hate looking at rugby as the way to do things. The two sports in themselves are like Germany and England in their rivalry but FIFA have to wake up and finally concede that what the RFU did years ago is working out very well for the sport.

I like watching rugby in the international games, though the 'rugby club' has its own guanxi; but that's outside the sport, and it's their own business. It's high time FIFA clean up and use technology or extra referees if they want football to be a good sport with a respectable fanbase.

Today's update : Responding to the English write-off goal, Sepp Blatter (?), president of FIFA, stated the necessity for change in using technology in football.