Singapore Expats

[Club Expats Singapore] Social Group - Gatherings

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
JJUKSG

Hi

Post by JJUKSG » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,

Im 28/F expat working here, would like to make some new friends in singapore for culture exchange and hang out. [email protected]

Cheers
Jing

openbox

Saturday June 19th - Hiking in MacRitchie with TreeTop Walk

Post by openbox » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:47 pm

Hi All, As most of you know, Julian will be serving his National Service starting this week. He asked us to help organize a few activities in the meantime so I'm planning the following hike at MacRitchie for this week, Saturday.

Hiking in MacRitchie with TreeTop Walk

Meetup Time: Saturday, June 19th - 10:00am

For those interested in working up a nice sweat to start off the weekend, especially to get rid of all the alcohol running in the system after Friday night, join us for a leisurely hike in Singapore's most well-known nature reserve at MacRitchie Reservoir.

Meet-up will be at MacRitichie Reservoir Car Park. Directions in the link below (click the pull-down tab for "Getting There")
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php? ... &Itemid=75

Route:

This will be a 3-4hr hike, approximate 6.5miles / 10km long, going along the Petai trail right at the beginning to see the flowers and lakes, then going up the main trail before culminating at the HSBC Treetop Walk. Slope is gentle for most of the way, with a few short steep patches. We'll take it nice and slow so as long as you are in average shape, it shouldn't be a problem. 5-10min breaks every hr. Trust me, this will not be a power hike at a brutal pace but it will be a good sweat. We want to take our time to see the monkeys, squirrels, iguanas, even the snakes that can be commonly found on the trail. For the photography enthusiasts, bring your cameras to take some memories!

After taking in the spectacular view at the Treetop Walk, we'll head down taking a shortcut through the Golf link bordering on SICC (Singapore Island Country Club) and make our way back to the Car Park.

We can finish it off with a picnic next to the reservoir (there is a nice cafe where we can buy snacks at the start point or bring your own food/wine) or head to the many nearby eateries for Brunch!

Pics:

Here are some photos taken off the net. I also did a run recently along the trail we'll be taking and came across the monkeys and other wildlife. Its a beautiful trek.

Lastly, if you're in the west, I can pick up a few people as I will be driving. Just give me a heads up in advance. Some of our members also drive so let me know who would like a lift and I'll check for those who live in the same area. You can also store stuff in the trunk in the beginning so you don't carry too much items during the hike.

Things to Bring:

I would suggest the following things be part of what you bring:

A) Water Bottles - Preferably at least 1L
B) Snacks to keep you going
C) Insect Repellent (optional)
D) Caps / Sunglasses / Sunscreen
E) 1 Change of Shirt/Blouse

There are also public showers/lockers that are relatively clean at the starting point for those who hate being sticky.

I can be reached at [email protected] so just give me a heads-up if you will be attending. Open to one and all and everyone interested. If you need more details as well, send me an email!

Cheers all!
Last edited by openbox on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

openbox

Post by openbox » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:21 pm

All pms replied too. I think some are worried about able to do a 6.5mile hike. Its not a walk in the park (hey it actually is), but you don't have to be super-fit to do it.

As long as you don't have existing heart conditions etc... most people should be able to walk that distance. I want to emphasize that we'll be taking a leisurely pace to take in the scenery. Also, most of the trail is under the forest shade so fortunately we won't be roasting under the Singapore sun for the majority of the hike.

Cheers all!

varsha2504

Post by varsha2504 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 2:41 pm

Hi everyone...

just moved to singapore from dubai last month...love place bt with no friends its definetly not fun...so count me in for any outings or so....

cloudiz just checked out the facebook grp...its really good work!!! can i join in...

Small intro abt me:

I am 26 yrs old indian who lived all my life in dubai...jst moved to singapore with my hubby and we practically are lost when it comes to visit places or go out fr a drink or coffee since we gt no frnds here....so far i visited orchard road fr my shoppin (thts one of my fav hobby)

u'll can get in touch with me at [email protected]

cheers!
varsha

vee_nz

Post by vee_nz » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 3:38 pm

Hey, Varsha..

first, welcome to Singapore.... ^^ v

am 26 years old too.. maybe we can hang out together one day.. i like to meet new people... and also want to hear some story about Dubai... hehehe...

hmm, ya maybe for the 1-2 months, you definitely will like orchard road... but after 3 months,....hmmm, let me know if you still like orchard... hehehehe...

okay, see you soon...

elibird

Post by elibird » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 8:57 am

hi!

are there any upcoming events? I'm a local singaporean who used to live in australia. Am looking to make new friends and widen my social circle.

carot

Post by carot » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 3:07 am

Hi,
i'm new to this site. I'm 25/f working in Singpore for few months. Love to make friends... Plz count me in for next events

naughtbutwyn

Post by naughtbutwyn » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:55 pm

Hello all! I'm 22/f/Singaporean, used to study in Australia (and hence know that country a lot better than my own). I'm currently working now, so life is pretty boring. :D And I might have met some of you at the barbecue organised by Su Na tonight. I just joined the Facebook group, hope to meet up with you guys some time!

vee_nz

Singapore Friendship Gathering...

Post by vee_nz » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:42 pm

Heyall,

My name is Sylvia.. (one of culture-x member)
me and my friend will make an event for outdoor sports at ubin island next month. we will do cycling to Check Jawa and picnic.

and for those who likes photography, please bring your DSLR camera or pocket camera, any camera also can! hehehe... my photographer friends also will join us... so maybe yall can share something about it.

Pulau Ubin is in essence, the last 'kampung' (village) in Singapore. A stroll through Ubin takes you back to Singapore in the 1960's with the simpler pleasures of life. The slow lane starts as soon as you join the queue for the bumboat at Changi. As you arrive, all cares are left behind.

Ubin is a great day trip spent walking or pedaling through rustic roads under swaying coconut palms, exploring shady trails in overgrown rubber plantations, checking out secluded beaches and flourishing mangroves. On Ubin, the food tastes better, air is fresher and sights and sounds so soothing to the soul.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/ubin/index.html

Meeting Point at Tanah Merah MRT 8.30 AM
Date : 17th July 2010
Please bring T-shirt, Sunscreen, insect Repellent (Optional).

SMS me : 98442355
or email me : [email protected]
skype me : sylvialin83

if you want to join us, please sms me before 9th July.
Thanks yo ^^ v
Last edited by vee_nz on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mochi85

Peranakan on Tuesday 29 June

Post by mochi85 » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 4:12 pm

Helloww there...

Me + Shin83 has decided to organise dinner gathering Tomorrow (29 June), it is kinda last minute but I do hope that you guys can make it :D

Venue: Around Bugis
Cuisine: Peranakan
Time: 7pm

Please drop me an email if you are interested and i will provide you further detail.

Please RSVP early coz I would like to make a reservation :D

My email: [email protected]
~In every Ups and Downs in your life.. there are lessons that you must learn

cloudiz
Regular
Regular

Post by cloudiz » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 1:49 am

hi naughtbut, carot,
any questions about Culture X feel free to join the facebook group
Last edited by cloudiz on Thu, 12 May 2022 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come join our International social circle "Club Expat Singapore" facebook.com/groups/culturex

samuel.faith

Post by samuel.faith » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 1:41 am

I really like the idea of this group, and hey I just joined into the Facebook group.

Though I have already sent an email to Julian, figured I'd make a quick intro here as well.

I am Samuel Faith, male, in mid 20s and originally from Myanmar. Been here for like 3 years.

Just PM me, let's talk :)

cloudiz
Regular
Regular

Post by cloudiz » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 3:15 pm

hiya people bump&
hi Samuel, welcome to CX!
this week is French week, Culture X will be organizing Patisserie hunt this Sunday around the island!

do check it out @
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 956&ref=ts

cheers
J
Come join our International social circle "Club Expat Singapore" facebook.com/groups/culturex

mamba

Post by mamba » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:58 pm

Hey buddy,

Add me in for any future gathering...my life is getting kinda boring. If the same continues...i may get a ticket to Afghanistan(just for a change).. :roll:

dazz

Post by dazz » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 9:46 pm

Hi I bumped into this thread and like the idea of meeting individuals from different backgrounds.

I'm a Singaporean Chinese 23/m, avid traveller. In fact, I just returned from an international conference held in melacca and made many like-minded friends from all over the world. I'm planning to visit UK at the end of the year for exchange studies.

Let me know if there is any updates, my email is [email protected]. :)