Singapore Expats

Australia has a new PM

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Australia has a new PM

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:23 am

Will Australia be better off with a sheila leading the country?

Is it the person or the party?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vidya463

Re: Australia has a new PM

Post by vidya463 » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 1:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Will Australia be better off with a sheila leading the country?

Is it the person or the party?
It depends. If a Sheila is leading your house and you are better off, then
you can conclude that Australia will be better off with a sheila leading that
country.
Keep smiling like a flower
Which never bothers about its death.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 1:37 pm

But are the average Aussie ready to accept a woman PM? Sure, she's there now, but in 12 months when the elections come, do you think they (The population, not the party) will return a woman to power? A childless, single woman at that?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vidya463

Post by vidya463 » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 1:43 pm

Well, not sure how it works for them. Mine was ruled by a woman for long years who messed up everything. Hope the same fate doesn't befall australia.
Keep smiling like a flower
Which never bothers about its death.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 1:45 pm

vidya463 wrote:Well, not sure how it works for them. Mine was ruled by a woman for long years who messed up everything. Hope the same fate doesn't befall australia.
where are you from?

to add to the discussion, I found this article: http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/ju ... -z2cu.html
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 3:08 pm

in the end its the labor power brokers who hold the cards, likewise for the liberals.

Julia Gilliard is a very articulate person, her years spent as a unionist lawyer would help her in her new job. Time will tell if she has staying power.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 5:34 pm

Australian politics is now littered with the bodies of outsiders, Malcolm Turnbull, Rudd to name just the last of a long line that get flung out because they were not born and bred politicians but "outsiders". Once the gender novelty wears off we will see a skilled puppet politician who is a front for NSW Labor left, the most destructive force in Australia society. Have a look at why NSW is in such a big hole compared to every other Australian state even after 18 years of prosperity. Good luck to here im glad im in Singapore at the moment. She is an ex slater and gordon (for those of you who dont know who these crooks are considered the lowest form of scum in the legal fraternity - a significant achievement even by legal standards) ambulance chasing lawyer. Just who I would want running the country. Her background in achievements in politics is s digrace. she has stuffed up everything she has touched but she plays the women card like I have never seen played before and she will ask her sisters to follow her through one election "to give her a go" and the Australian public will lap it up. Another big ideas cant execute politician. At least we can tick off the box that we have a female PM, it might save us in ten years time getting an even more incompetent women as PM.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 6:37 pm

Nath21 wrote:..... she plays the women card like I have never seen played before and she will ask her sisters to follow her through one election "to give her a go" and the Australian public will lap it up. Another big ideas cant execute politician. At least we can tick off the box that we have a female PM, it might save us in ten years time getting an even more incompetent women as PM.
Australia's aging population puts the majority of 'sisters' in the pensioner or 'baby boomers' age. They won't be real keen on the childless one. The male population won't like it at all. A woman in charge?! :o
Oz is a blokey place. I'm amazed that she's been given this opportunity by the blokes in her party. They'll probably ditch her before too much longer. Queen Julia will be flat out like a lizard drinking to retain her throne. Interesting times.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 6:44 pm

Well all the Sheila's I have met on my travels have been real competitive especially in the PUB :lol: Certainly can't do a worse job that's for sure! Though OZchick has copyright! On the OZchick, So if she reads any article saying OZchick gets PM role,,,, $$$$$$ may role in! :lol:

On a more serious note I don't see Australian men taking it! But fair play to her, she will go down in history, that's for sure!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 6:52 pm

ksl wrote:Though OZchick has copyright! On the OZchick, So if she reads any article saying OZchick gets PM role,,,, $$$$$$ may role in! :lol:
Que? "What you talkin' about boy?" What are you drinking Kayser? Must be a good drop! BTW Where is that Aussie news channel ABC we had? I don't see it anymore on the new Starhub list. I'd like to see how this is all going down back home....bah humbug...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:59 pm

ozchick wrote:
ksl wrote:Though OZchick has copyright! On the OZchick, So if she reads any article saying OZchick gets PM role,,,, $$$$$$ may role in! :lol:
Que? "What you talkin' about boy?" What are you drinking Kayser? Must be a good drop! BTW Where is that Aussie news channel ABC we had? I don't see it anymore on the new Starhub list. I'd like to see how this is all going down back home....bah humbug...
Ozchick this is now your registered trade mark, no matter where you walzamatilda! I've actually been dry for 9 days, had to, I broke out in a bad allergy and i suspected my liver enzymes may have been a bit high. Been averaging 9.6km runs every night and lost 6kg to date :) Got to prepare for the next binge with SMS and the gang!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But are the average Aussie ready to accept a woman PM? Sure, she's there now, but in 12 months when the elections come, do you think they (The population, not the party) will return a woman to power? A childless, single woman at that?
She'll get beaten at the next election by the first Aboriginal PM. Gotta keep up the novelty acts rolling, ya know....

(and we already know historically black politicians trumps female politicians)

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:11 pm

About time we had a female PM.

It's great, I like it and I think it's good for the country. :cool:

Think you'll find most of the nay sayers on our Julia are Libs/Nats in disguise who are now stuck with a blokey bloke used car salesman grinning speedo freak as there best hope of winning the next election.

Poor old Rudd, but we have to thank him for finally getting rid of the midget mauler, saving us from a great depression, apologising to the aborigines, etc, etc...

Btw the election won't be in 12 months, it'll be in a few months.

Lot's of stereotyping (if I could spell it) going on here trying to deflate Julia's rise to the top. Do people really believe that in this day and age, men cannot accept a female PM in Aussie? It maybe so around the vaucluse Liberal's BBQ and full cow on a spit piss up held by your local bloke National, but the majority of Aussies are way past that rubbish. Full marks for wishful thinking anyway guys and best of luck at the elections.
Be Like Water

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 6:53 pm

Bafana wrote: Lot's of stereotyping (if I could spell it) going on here trying to deflate Julia's rise to the top. Do people really believe that in this day and age, men cannot accept a female PM in Aussie?
Hope you're not including me - I was just being tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, I'm sure most know she wouldn't have the top job, unless she really had the b***s for it. (I just can't help myself, can I? :D )

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 7:22 pm

Bafana wrote:About time we had a female PM.

It's great, I like it and I think it's good for the country. :cool:
Do people really believe that in this day and age, men cannot accept a female PM in Aussie? It maybe so around the vaucluse Liberal's BBQ and full cow on a spit piss up held by your local bloke National, but the majority of Aussies are way past that rubbish.
I'm a believer! A country that expects its new arrivals to learn about cricket and Aussie 'no-rules' football clearly has an attitude problem from the top down. Oddly, most Australian women have their heads in the sand and wouldn't recognise this fact if it bit them on the bum.
The Aussies are way past that rubbish?! I WISH!
And for the record Bafana, one of Mr Rudd's proud moments was his government's apology to our dark brothers. But like you, I'm really pleased about Oz having a female Aussie PM. I hope they allow her time to get into top gear before they start stirring the possum. BTW, with that hair, any money the media will start calling her 'Bluey'! :P