Singapore Expats

Have you guys tried fortune telling before?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Have you guys tried fortune telling before?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 14

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:15 am

Feng Shui is neither metaphysics nor fortune telling (with these two also being completely different - look it up on Wikipedia!).

To my understanding
- Feng Shui is a system or arranging certain things in your life/environment in order to attract good and prevent bad luck
- Metaphysics is a science (it really is!) that explores the gap between natural sciences and philosophy
- Fortune Telling is bogus (but like other kinds of cheating, it often works and the perpetrators can be surprisingly successful and admirable)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:25 am

Fun idea. Preferably during a psychic fair or when two fortune tellers are very near each other.

* Go to one fortune teller
* Get a reading.
* Go immediately to the other fortune teller
* Get another reading
* Then say, "that's not what the lady/guy over there told me"
* Insist on the contradiction
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ivertan00

Post by ivertan00 » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:06 pm

Image :wink:

janelee13

Post by janelee13 » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 5:55 pm

Image :mrgreen:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 6:03 pm

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 6:07 pm

I just fired up the joss sticks and found my crystal ball under the kitchen sink.

Let me see... arh yes its slowing becoming clear, I can see a number, wait its looks like a phone number, and a name .... Ivertan00 and janelee13 they are swirling and swirling around a giant billboard that has a word that is out of focus.

Give me a minute to get some Windolene to really polish my ball and wait for the planets to align... It says S... C... A.... M... M... E... I cant quite make out the last letter.

I can now hear a strange noise Tic toc tic toc.. What does this all mean?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 7:26 pm

QRM wrote:It says S... C... A.... M... M... E... I cant quite make out the last letter.

Gimmie an "R" :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 7:39 pm

I bet they didn't see that coming. :lol:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:24 pm

nakatago wrote: give anyone enough time to train and practice and they could pass themselves as psychic.
I knew you were about to say that :P

jokes aside,... my father in law had to consult a fortune teller to find out what will be his chances of surviving a serious surgery.

Fortune teller told him 80%

My thoughts... it should either be 100% or 0% .. there's no in-between when it comes to true fortune-telling (if such a thing really exists)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:01 am

Splatted wrote:my father in law had to consult a fortune teller to find out what will be his chances of surviving a serious surgery.

I would have thought the surgeon doing the op would have a better idea? I asked my surgeon what chances I wont survive my serious surgery, he based his calculations on hospital records and came up with 5% dont make it.

As we are dealing with probability, its still a roll of a dice but at least I get an idea what I am in for. Trust the Doc more than a yellow canary picking up an etched bamboo stick for the figures.

It does make me wonder how much of the corporate decision making is carried out by the influences of the spirits around here.

Be fun to live life totally at the mercy of the tea leaf angle, like that book Diceman.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:05 am

QRM wrote:Trust the Doc more than a yellow canary picking up an etched bamboo stick for the figures.
In Indonesia, I'll take the yellow canary to do the surgery as well. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:38 pm

QRM wrote:
Splatted wrote:my father in law had to consult a fortune teller to find out what will be his chances of surviving a serious surgery.

I would have thought the surgeon doing the op would have a better idea? I asked my surgeon what chances I wont survive my serious surgery, he based his calculations on hospital records and came up with 5% dont make it.
Yes, that's the same answer the surgeon told us - 95% chance everything will work out OK.

Problem is, he didn't trust the surgeon.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 4:52 am

Splatted wrote:
Yes, that's the same answer the surgeon told us - 95% chance everything will work out OK.

Problem is, he didn't trust the surgeon.
Splatted,

This is my believe when I met with these three profession

Lawyers ARE LIARS

Doctors ARE KILLERS

Real estate agents ARE SUCKERS

:)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:13 am

Mad Scientist wrote: This is my believe when I met with these three profession

Lawyers ARE LIARS

Doctors ARE KILLERS

Real estate agents ARE SUCKERS

:)
You missed out dentists - those people who drill your teeth for the fun of it...........

Ijustihok

Post by Ijustihok » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:40 am

i used to give tarot readings, and even if i knew absolutely nothing, i ended up telling people what they want to hear (maybe) and get referrels because they claimed accuracy...

and i still have no idea how the 'accuracy' come from. i have read for people i knew, people i dont know (ie. total strangers) and usually they will be alarmed and go "omg thats soooo true".

yea, so....considering that i dont even know what im saying, i wonder if its just their ears trying to identify only the bits they want to hear?

humans.

after my conversion to becoming a follower of christ, i stop my 'old ways', and no longer give any more readings.