Singapore Expats

Direct Hire from Philippines - need advice please

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
jaema

Direct Hire from Philippines - need advice please

Post by jaema » Wed, 19 May 2010 7:08 pm

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum and to Singapore so please forgive if this is an oft-asked question. I did try to do a search but perhaps I was using the wrong terms?

Anyway....

We will be moving to Singapore at the end of June. We have found a potential helper who is in the Philippines and has never worked in Singapore before.

1) Any recommendations for a reliable/trustworthy agency that can help process everything for us (including the Philippines if needed)?

2) Does anyone know what documentation is required from both us and the helper to complete the application? I know the agency will be able to tell us, but was hoping to get a heads-up for both us and the helper. :)

3) Is it feasible to do a direct hire, especially if the helper is currently in a province and doesn't want to go to/fro from Manila to process documents. She only wants to go there for the final "check-in".

4) Any ideas how much this would cost? I found one agency who quoted about $1400 - is that the market rate?

5) Any other advice on this matter?

Apologies for my first post being so "verbose" and thanks in advance for any advice.

:)

raika

Maid from Ph

Post by raika » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:38 am

Hi,

This is what I'm doing. You can actually do the paperwork yrself. Pretty uncomplicated. Or go thru an agency.

Create a Sing pass id for yourself. Then login to MOM-- Ministry of Manpower. If you are a first time employer you'll have to pass a test :D showing you will not illtreat or endanger the worker.

Then you will have to apply for a work permit for the maid. In 24 hrs, you'll get an IPA notification (In principle approval). Then call/login to NTUC income and do the insurance for her. 24 hrs later MOM will issue you the IPA. Fax that to her with the tkts and you are almost done.

She will have to buy/create a Performance Bond from Phillipines and come to Sing with it. In 3 days of her coming she'll have to do a test in Eng and a safety course. And go thru a medical test.

This is it in a nutshell.

R

jaema

Post by jaema » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it difficult to get a performance bond in the Philippines? And are you going the embassy route, i.e. using the embassy contract and such? Finally, what visa is your helper leaving the Philippines on, is it a tourist visa?

Finally any agencies you would recommend, since there are tons and probably most aren't that trustworthy.

Thanks again, I am just trying to figure out the process and if it would be best just to go through an agency.

Thank you so much again.

raika

Post by raika » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:57 am

Hi,

The girl/maid can only come in with the IPA. If you're on a tourist visa you are not permitted to work.

She has to apply for the bond from Manila. Not sure of the procedure. I googled it -- its abt SGD 2000.

Go to the MOM website. Its very comprehensive. If you know the person who is going to work for you why pay an agency $ 600-1000? They are not going to stand guarantee for her or give you a replacement if its only paperwork they're going to handle.

But yes, they probably have contacts back in the Ph to do the bond easily.

All the best,

R

raika

New complications

Post by raika » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 7:10 am

Hiring from the Philippines is more complex than I thought. My friends who'd hired from Indonesia and India had advised me to do the paperwork myself and I tho't it wd apply to a Filipina as well. Not as smooth sailing.

I've spoken to 3 agencies so far and several maids, and have reached this conclusion-- use an agency to bring her in. You need their contacts in the Philippines to get the girl out. The agencies charge you for services rendered on the PH end, for a return air ticket and for services rendered on the SG side.

Why a return ticket? They use it to show that she is leaving as a tourist. If you are in no hurry to bring her in, you can get good deals on either Tiger airways or Cebu Pacific.

Services on the SG side-- Pick up from airport, English test, Safety Awareness course, Fingerprinting, trip to MOM for WP collection. Saves you a lot of trouble and running around.

Services on the PH side-- the less one knows the better.

Talk to some accredited agencies and get quotes. If it is not significantly higher to go the whole hog with them, just use them. Otherwise do the MOM application yrself, the Insurance yrself and then ask for help.

The quotes I've gotten are SGD 1000+, SGD 920 and SGD 700. This includes the return airfare.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

R

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 8:17 am

We used BCS employment services to bring in two direct hires. They handled all the paperwork, collection from airport, fingerprinting, training accommodation during transit period etc. We just gave the details of the person in the Philippines and a few weeks later she was on our door step. Very painless.

jaema

Post by jaema » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 8:19 am

Thanks for the update/clarification.:) I have gotten higher quotes - talked to 2 agencies, was quoted SGD$1200 and SGD$1650! Any chance you could/would share which agency you are using? :)

And the agencies I spoke to did not mention a return ticket - they would just buy a ticket, process the paperwork, and help administer the exams.

Did the agencies you spoke to mention if the helper would stay with you, and you would pick her up at the airport, or would they have her stay with the agency first? One agency I spoke to said I could have her stay with me, and then I need to bring her to the agency for the exams. The other one said she was not allowed to stay with me for the first 3 days and must stay with them! So as you can tell I am confused....

Also any ideas if it is mandatory for the helper to pass a medical in Manila first? Again the answer varies depending on agency...

Thanks for your continued patience and helpfulness - I am truly grateful for your advice.

raika

Post by raika » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Jaema,

Contact Martino Agency in Lucky Plaza and ask for Madelyne. She is sweet. her number is 8396 4867. You can mention that Radhika gave you this number.

They are charging me sub 700-- 155 for the PH side+ 150 for all the work in SG after she comes in+ 370 for return airfare.

They are picking her up at the airport and keeping her overnight. Taking her for the Eng test on the next day. She has 3 attempts to pass it. They'll also do the medical and the SAC on day 2 or 3 and take her for finger printing. I've authorised them to collect the WP.

Hope that answers yr questions. :)

jaema

Post by jaema » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Raika,

Thanks so much - that is great information to have! :) May I ask one more question - is the agency recommending you have the maid undergo a separate medical exam in the Philippines prior to coming to Singapore? Some agencies I spoke to say it is a must, some say optional?

Thank you again, you have been tremendously helpful and generous with your advice, and I am so grateful to you.

:)

ex-pat
Regular
Regular

Post by ex-pat » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 8:50 pm

According to my own experience i brought a maid the easiest way possible.
Step 1. Make sure the maid has her own passport ready
2. Book her a 2 way ticket ( for the period of ten days, the shorter the days the easier for her to get out from the ph immigration, choose tiger if she lives in the north jetstar or cebu pacific if she lives near Manila)
3. Note that for a tourist to get out of Ph she needs to pay pesos 1,620 as travel tax plus 700 pesos as immigration fee.
4. Medical is not necessary as she is leaving the country as a tourist
5.Bring a small amount of clothing so not too obvious that she is gonna stay here forever.
6.She needs to carry at least 10,000 pesos as a show money to SG immigration in case they ask her for proof that she is coming for a holiday.
7. Give her your full contacts, address, phone etc...she needs that when filling up immigration form.
9. As soon as she arrive , she can stay in your place, dont let her stay with the agency ....you dont want your newly arrive maid to starve in the cramp angencies.
10. I recommend Prestige Agency in Tanglin Shopping Center as they are very good in handling newcomer.
11. They will tell you everything what papers to provide...
12. Make sure that they dont charge the maid a single cent...some agnecies rip the maids money even before she starts work.
13. Make sure you dont pay beyond 700 SG dollar.
14. Remind your maid to be smart when answering immigration people in ph or here in sg..Good luck
Pm me if you need more assistance.