Singapore Expats

The Great Singapore sale- Your take

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

The Great Singapore sale- Your take

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 27 May 2010 8:28 pm

So is it worth it braving the crowds to go to town and shop? What do you think?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 May 2010 8:31 pm

The way I see it, if you go there and buy a bunch of stuff because it's on sale, then it's not. You didn't save anything but actually probably spent more than you would have if you only bought what you needed at any other time. I stay far, far away from Orchard Road and the entire CBD if I can avoid it. In fact, I don't go to sales at all, because of that human trait.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 27 May 2010 8:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The way I see it, if you go there and buy a bunch of stuff because it's on sale, then it's not. You didn't save anything but actually probably spent more than you would have if you only bought what you needed at any other time. I stay far, far away from Orchard Road and the entire CBD if I can avoid it. In fact, I don't go to sales at all, because of that human trait.
That is SO like a "guy" answer!

Okay now, let me rephrase my question - Nothwithstanding your human tendencies to buy needless junk, do you think the GSS is a good time to buy stuff that you need. (Refer to Maslow's hierarchy for definition of "need").

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 May 2010 9:53 pm

Yeah, self justification of "need" is okay. Every woman needs retail therapy occasionally, so I guess if it's gotta be, it's better then than at other times. I only need retail therapy if it's a hardware store. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 27 May 2010 10:36 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The way I see it, if you go there and buy a bunch of stuff because it's on sale, then it's not. You didn't save anything but actually probably spent more than you would have if you only bought what you needed at any other time. I stay far, far away from Orchard Road and the entire CBD if I can avoid it. In fact, I don't go to sales at all, because of that human trait.

Okay now, let me rephrase my question - Nothwithstanding your human tendencies to buy needless junk, do you think the GSS is a good time to buy stuff that you need. (Refer to Maslow's hierarchy for definition of "need").
don't you have problems finding clothes that fit you here in singapore (re: other thread)? if yes, i doubt that you going to the sale for clothes will be productive. also, some merchants tend to mark up the "before" prices. or bundle a bunch of useless stuff with the item you want. just sayin'.

disclaimer: I'm a dude.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Fri, 28 May 2010 12:07 am

nakatago wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:

don't you have problems finding clothes that fit you here in singapore (re: other thread)? if yes, i doubt that you going to the sale for clothes will be productive. also, some merchants tend to mark up the "before" prices. or bundle a bunch of useless stuff with the item you want. just sayin'.

disclaimer: I'm a dude.
Well, what about shoes, handbags, accessories, soft toys, stationery? Any women out there wanting to reply :P

You're probably right about the sale thing being a gimmick. But I do think there could be some good deals out there which is why I posted this thread. Well, we'll find out :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Fri, 28 May 2010 2:29 am

intellectualsmuse wrote: Well, what about shoes, handbags, accessories, soft toys, stationery? Any women out there wanting to reply :P

You're probably right about the sale thing being a gimmick. But I do think there could be some good deals out there which is why I posted this thread. Well, we'll find out :)
If you've done your reconnaissance trip a few days before the GSS and done your covert price comparison... then you'll find it worth your while.

Seriously, I have only taken advantage of the GSS once, two years ago. This was when I was walking along Orchard Road and saw the offer in Giordano.

I typically tend to buy stuff from other countries because it's cheaper there. :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 28 May 2010 9:11 am

It's a waste of time. When retailers can post signs like this:

you know their appreciation for discounting is wanting.

Arwen

Post by Arwen » Fri, 28 May 2010 2:06 pm

I like sales I mostly buy shoes, handbags etc only on sale and check the prices before the GSS, and If I can get it for half I get it for half. However I just buy stuff on what I have decided that I really need it (e.g. I would not buy a 5th pair of black medium high pumps). So I genereally dont get that tempted :) but things that are nice to have on sale and if I urgently need sth than I buy it without beeing on sale

I am a girl :)

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Fri, 28 May 2010 2:19 pm

We arrived late June last year and were still able to pick up some bargains. But Orchard Road on a public holiday or weekend? - get in and out before midday!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 28 May 2010 5:53 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote: Seriously, I have only taken advantage of the GSS once, two years ago. This was when I was walking along Orchard Road and saw the offer in Giordano.
giardano is always on sales or "promotion offer"!. :P

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Fri, 28 May 2010 9:48 pm

I'd save the money to shop in usa sometime in the future. Living in north america made me realize that Singaporeans were paying $200+ for levis jeans that mexican workers pay $30 here. Some shrewd business men managed to create a luxury aura around certain really cheap brands and made a fortune in Singapore. Im also amazed at how Singaporeans got easily suckered into thinking polo as high end fashion when all avg americans buy them at giordano prices.

My advice is buy what you need in singapore, splurge when you are out of the country. The selection of fine fashion goods in singapore is pathetic and the price ridiculous, considering the govt's effort to discourage consumption through import duties and Singaporeans are just not fashionable enough to stimulate a broad selection. what else can you wear in this climate lol??

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Sat, 29 May 2010 3:34 pm

I love to look and buy household items as these are seldom on sale at regular times. And also other 'need' items such as undergarments, casual plain color t-shirts, etc.

As for clothes, I find it not so enjoyable when the store is crowded and there's a queue for the fitting room.

The thing with Singapore though is there're lots of pretty things and the key is to choose which to buy.

Definitely go on a weekday morning if you can.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sun, 30 May 2010 10:59 am

Well, my favourite accessories brand was on sale and I bought some pretty earrings at 50% off. Okay they were from last season but they go great with my outfit so who cares!

As for clothes, M&S on sale and found that some of the workwear shirts I bought last month were retailing for 15$ less :( They have some new stuff in with purple being the theme colour-these are obviously NOT on sale. Dorothy Perkins has 50% off too but I thought that the clothes on sale were really sad :(

Shoes and handbags update: Went with my husband who's very short on patience so couldn't get a look at any :( But will update this space later! ;)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 30 May 2010 11:00 pm

Yeah that's the thing - there is always a sale saying "$$% off'. The question is 'off what'?

Like Koalabear says, things they put on sale here are more expensive when not on sale elsewhere. Yes you can get some cheap things cheap here, but not for a lot of things. And a lot of sales are pushing out old stock, like these PC and Electronics shows.

Who ever said Singapore was cheap? I would ask, 'compared to what'?

I haven't shopped in HK in a long while but I'd heard it was cheaper than here.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape