Singapore Expats

The number of mobile phone shops

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

The number of mobile phone shops

Post by JR8 » Fri, 21 May 2010 7:18 pm

Thinking back to living in Toa Payoh (now enjoying last night in SG (for a pretty long while )in a hotel.) There is the outdoor Toa Payoh Mall with about 1-200m of small retail units on a promenade that dog legs around a right angle to another similar strip. In front of these units are unenclosed stalls run by separate vendors. Together with the other strip between KFC and Courts are about another 100 similar retail units. In total there must be something like 3-400 retail units.

Off the top of my heads I'd estimate half+ of the retailers sell mobile phones and/or accessories.

This seems extraordinary, especially as you seem to rarely to see people in these shops. Is there an answer as to how many retailers can co-exist?

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:33 pm

I always wondered that too especially if the shop is just selling Knick Knacks and located in an up market area. I'm thinking their overhead must be high , and the products they sell is not everyday use , so how do they break even or make a profit?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:41 pm

high profit margin, that's the only way to survive.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Fri, 28 May 2010 10:47 pm

It's like those little fashion boutiques on the 3rd floor at Suntec. There's never anyone shopping in them so I always wonder if they make any money. I know they are only small units but it's still a prime location in the city. They do seem to come and go very quickly though - they are rarely there more than 6 months.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 28 May 2010 11:46 pm

well, i once read about those mini stores (you know the one that is in the middle of the walkway!) in vivo city that their rental is from S$3k to S$5k per month!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 29 May 2010 12:25 am

durain wrote:well, i once read about those mini stores (you know the one that is in the middle of the walkway!) in vivo city that their rental is from S$3k to S$5k per month!
That is quite correct! That's why it is very important to collect statistics and ask questions in these areas, many people fail 9 out of 10 i would say. Though if you have good products its easy to build a fast customer base.