Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
artsan
Regular
Regular

Post by artsan » Tue, 25 May 2010 12:03 pm

flumpet wrote:
bananayogurt wrote:anyone went for med checkup on 12may wed received call alr?
I went for check up on 10th may and did my 2nd xray on 12 may afternoon.
Got called up yesterday (monday, 24th may) at around 510pm.

Starting training 14th June
Flumpet, your notice period is 2 weeks? Looks like there's a regularity of batches: 1/June, 7/June, 14/June, 23/June. Hm. I hope I can make it for the 14/June batch. Tsk tsk tsk...

flumpet

Post by flumpet » Tue, 25 May 2010 12:05 pm

artsan wrote:
flumpet wrote:
bananayogurt wrote:anyone went for med checkup on 12may wed received call alr?
I went for check up on 10th may and did my 2nd xray on 12 may afternoon.
Got called up yesterday (monday, 24th may) at around 510pm.

Starting training 14th June
Flumpet, your notice period is 2 weeks? Looks like there's a regularity of batches: 1/June, 7/June, 14/June, 23/June. Hm. I hope I can make it for the 14/June batch. Tsk tsk tsk...
Nope mine was IMMEDIATE. but i went for holiday for 4 days last week. And the HR lady noted and wrote down my vacation date on the pre-employment form on the pre-employment briefing day. Thats why probably i got pushed to 14th. If not i might be in the earlier batches.

My friend who gave 2 weeks notice starts her training 23rd June. And she got called up last Wednesday.

whimsicalgiraffes

bad news

Post by whimsicalgiraffes » Tue, 25 May 2010 12:26 pm

oh man. i got the worse news ever!

i just got a call from shenton medical from paragon saying i need to go back for a second xray for my scoliosis. they said they made a mistake and forgot to call me thats why my report until now still pending! arghhh!

and all this while i have been waiting and waiting and waiting..

sighh. got to go for my checkup later. hope scoliosis wont affect my chances

derenla

Post by derenla » Tue, 25 May 2010 2:54 pm

hope everything goes well for you :) and congrats to those who got the long awaited call! :)

can i ask sth. do most of you not know you have scoliosis prob until the medical checkup? cos i do know that some ppl know that they have it and im not sure if by declaring it will decrease the chances of getting in. if they know it beforehand does it mean it's a gone -case? since it shld be quite serious tt why they know about it.

whimsicalgiraffes

Post by whimsicalgiraffes » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:09 pm

About declaring whether u have scoliosis or any other illness. My advice is don't declare anything. Cause they'll just make u go for extra checkups n scans etc. That means bearing the cost of the additional medical on your own. Yupp. Hope this helps

artsan
Regular
Regular

Post by artsan » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:43 pm

whimsicalgiraffes wrote:About declaring whether u have scoliosis or any other illness. My advice is don't declare anything. Cause they'll just make u go for extra checkups n scans etc. That means bearing the cost of the additional medical on your own. Yupp. Hope this helps
whimsicalgiraffes, are you heading down to Shenton-Parkway for the second x-ray? Craps, now I'm not even sure if my medical report has been submitted to SIA HR or not.

In any case, the follow up x-ray is done at Mt Eliz and costs about SG$160.

derenla

Post by derenla » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:46 pm

artsan wrote:
whimsicalgiraffes, are you heading down to Shenton-Parkway for the second x-ray? Craps, now I'm not even sure if my medical report has been submitted to SIA HR or not.

we have to pay for our 2nd medical check up?

keirat

Post by keirat » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:54 pm

Congrats to those who have got their call!
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for mine. Getting really worried now. Anyone have not got the call too?

flumpet

Post by flumpet » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:54 pm

derenla wrote:
artsan wrote:

we have to pay for our 2nd medical check up?
Yes it costs S$160.
As for the question regarding if you need to declare if you have scoliosis or not. I guess if it was quite serious, you would have known it already.

It is usually when your Cobb's angle is more than 20 degrees that it can be a problem. And if it is so, you would have heard about it from your doctor when you were young.

If you were like me, and only found out about this 'scoliosis' after the check up, then i think you have nothing to worry about.

just be patient and they will call.

Hope this helps.

artsan
Regular
Regular

Post by artsan » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:55 pm

derenla wrote: we have to pay for our 2nd medical check up?
derenla, yes dear. I paid way more than $160 cos I was having some mild high blood pressure on med check day and was referred to a cardiac at Mount Eliz (turned out to be false alarm, no hbp) and a scar in my ear drum and was referred to a ear doctor (turned out to be a birthmark, which was okay too).

So yes, to answer your question, we have to pay for whatever follow-up check ups.

derenla

Post by derenla » Tue, 25 May 2010 4:12 pm

woah artsan you gotta check for so many things? even a scar at the ear? seems like the medical check up is not so simple. hmm.

oh no cos i was being referred to health promotion board when i was in secondary sch for scoliosis but nth was done, im not sure if it was considered mild that's why nth was done, or maybe there was nth they could do. sigh.

artsan
Regular
Regular

Post by artsan » Tue, 25 May 2010 4:19 pm

derenla wrote:woah artsan you gotta check for so many things? even a scar at the ear? seems like the medical check up is not so simple. hmm.

oh no cos i was being referred to health promotion board when i was in secondary sch for scoliosis but nth was done, im not sure if it was considered mild that's why nth was done, or maybe there was nth they could do. sigh.
The clinic will eventually call you back for the x-ray, since you had a history of scolio. Anyway, many of my friends who went for the 2nd x-ray didn't even know they had scolio before, so yes... the check is definitely not so simple.

Oh also, the clinic assistants at Shenton-Parkway don't really say much ("Don't worry, Mr XXX, we will call you if we need you for any more follow-ups.") But they're actually quite nice cos there's a Filipino staff who even recommended me to consult with a government hospital to save me the costs, but I guess I want it too badly and too quickly that's why I took the expensive route.

Now I just hope I'll get called up soon (not by the clinic but by Mary from STC!) I wonder how soon I can commence training if I called them to change my notice from a month to like 2 weeks. Dying~

nashikin

Post by nashikin » Tue, 25 May 2010 4:31 pm

congrats to all who made it. m so envious though.
cant wait for nxt opening to try my luck!
need a job tt can be called a career with gd benefits!

flumpet

Post by flumpet » Tue, 25 May 2010 4:43 pm

nashikin wrote:congrats to all who made it. m so envious though.
cant wait for nxt opening to try my luck!
need a job tt can be called a career with gd benefits!
Remember to be yourself and SMILE SMILE SMILE.

Cannot emphasize enough how important smiling is. You could be the most handsome/beautiful person there but if you got a black face you will surely not make it.

Smile, and smile like you mean it.

And you'll make it.

derenla

Post by derenla » Tue, 25 May 2010 4:47 pm

thanks artsan for the information :)
i hope you'll recieve the call soon!

i cant wait for the next interview too there's like no news on it at all. dont you think that SIA actually held considerably many interviews thus far? it's not even half a year and there were 3 already. i hope they'll have the 4th soon.