Singapore Expats

New to parenthood, new to Singapore

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
UnexpectedAdventurer

New to parenthood, new to Singapore

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Fri, 21 May 2010 3:24 pm

Anyone out there also new to parenthood and trying an interesting combination of working mum, stay-at-home dad in a new country?
I'm hoping to make some new friends in our new town. Hopefully people who can help us make the transition to the new city and our new status as parents.
Any friendly advice on baby-friendly places around Singapore would be greatly appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2010 3:27 pm

Make use of the excellent search function at the top right of the page just under the "Profile" link.

Lots of information here. Once you have digested it, I'm sure if you have specific questions, there will be someone here who will have an answer.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

UnexpectedAdventurer

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Fri, 21 May 2010 6:32 pm

Specific question -- would anyone in a similar situation like to meet up?

UnexpectedAdventurer

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Tue, 25 May 2010 10:29 am

No takers? Oh, now I feel even more lost and lonely.

mahjong98

hi!

Post by mahjong98 » Tue, 25 May 2010 2:06 pm

hi! we'd love to help. pm me? where r u from, how old is your kid, etc? :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 25 May 2010 3:58 pm

There are quite a few in the same boat, I for one stay at home looking after our 4 year old. Wife works. The locals find it a bit odd though, so much so I was even interviewed for one of the local parents magazines.

You need to be a bit more specific on your post, How old are you, where from, your kids age, what you do, where you are staying, interest etc. Then you may get a bit more of a response.

Put in a note saying if anyone one wants to meet up PM (private message us) That way you can save face and don't like total looser when no one replies!! :lol:

UnexpectedAdventurer

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Wed, 26 May 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks for your replies. I can't PM yet... too new! I'm not sure if I can get PMs. Anyone want to try?

I don't want to post too many personal details but ... we're both 30ish (obviously). The baby is six months old. We've just arrived from Vietnam, happy to find Vegemite and Promite sold in Singapore. Vietnamese people absolutely adores babies and we were feted wherever we went there. We're not really feeling the love in Singapore yet!

In Vietnam, none of our friends have babies so we continued our usual social routine (restaurants, bars) with the baby strapped to our fronts. I'm not quite game to try that here because attitudes seem to be very different.

We will be living in the East Coast area in a few weeks. I've seen posts about baby play dates in the families section of the forum. But I'm hoping to arrange grown-up activities and possibly make babysitting arrangements with other people who enjoy nights out.

38Girl

Post by 38Girl » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 5:21 pm

would love to help - we have been here a year and my hubby is the SAHD with our two boys who go to the intl school. I'm too new to PM but if you want to set up an event or venue we'd love meet up.

canberra

Post by canberra » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:51 pm

G'day all. I am a WAHD here in Singapore. Have been here since May this year, originally from Australia, both my wife and I are in our mid-30s and have a 4 year old boy. Happy to meet with other dads for a drink or meal somewhere one evening. Anyone up for a beer at Clarke Quay maybe? Anywhere along the MRT line is convenient for me :wink:

UnexpectedAdventurer

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:41 pm

Hi 38Girl and Canberra,
Sorry, haven't checked this thread for ages!
I will try to organise something and let you know. My husband will be thrilled to meet another SAHD.