Singapore Expats

Visa application - old driving conviction

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
princessemma

Visa application - old driving conviction

Post by princessemma » Thu, 20 May 2010 9:27 pm

My husband and I are planning to move from London to Singapore in the next couple of months with his company. We're midway through filling in our applications and are a bit worried now we've remembered that he has an old driving conviction.

It was over 10yrs ago but was for drink driving. He was only just over the limit / next day breathaliser etc so isn't quite as 'criminal' as it sounds at first but he was fined and lost his license for 18mths.

I'm really worried this will affect our application.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of this kind of thing?

Many thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2010 9:40 pm

It's not a criminal conviction but a driving conviction. Don't sweat it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 20 May 2010 10:30 pm

ahem... in the UK, drink driving is a criminal conviction. driving conviction would be parking tickets, speeding, etc.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2010 11:16 pm

Fair enough. But I still wouldn't sweat it. I had a dui in the US before coming here as well, and it didn't cause me any problems.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 21 May 2010 4:51 am

I have to agree with SMS. Most countries, and I say again, most countries when you are applying for PR or EP. They will ask if you have any criminal conviction for the past 5 or 10 years or whatever including convicted in the court of law and jailed.
Criminal conviction is divided into two. Heinous , fraud, rape, child abuse, murder etc under serious crime which is A NO GO ZONE
Petty crime like speeding , DUI, parking is not a crime per se as it is not detrimental to the security or state health system of the applicant country.But if the speeding resulted in injury or death and you are jailed then you are a NO GO ZONE too.
As long as it is a fine and petty not jail time, it will not cause a problem for you.

The only countries that link convictions, unpaid tax and unpaid fines that I know of is between OZ , Kiwi and UK
This is my humble opinion : :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!