Singapore Expats

DIET FIZZY DRINK, CORDIAL, SPLENDA/SUCRALOSE please help???

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
felicity_smiles

DIET FIZZY DRINK, CORDIAL, SPLENDA/SUCRALOSE please help???

Post by felicity_smiles » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 1:37 am

Ive just arrived in Singapore and to my shock and horror cannot buy my favourite products anywhere. I almost want to leave Singapore because I miss my sugar free beverages so much.
In Australia there is a wide selection of low calories cordials and fizzy drinks. The only options I have found here contains caffeine which gives me a headache. The only low calorie sweetener I can find is equal/aspartame which tastes disgusting and is said to cause cancer.
Can anyone head me in the right direction as to where I can locate-
A. diet soda/fizzy drink (non caffeine)
B. sugar free cordial
C. splenda/sucralose
If anyone has any of these items they are will to sell to me, I would gladly pay a decent price

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BodyBlitz » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 7:28 am

Sucralose is as just as bad as aspartame if you wanna look at it that way.

However Theres crystal lite retailing at cold storage/NTUC and marketplace at paragon.

I believe if you're really looking to get these, I suggest getting someone to ship it up to Singapore from Aussy.
http://bodyblitz.sg - A new era of fitness.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:11 am

I found Xylitol this past weekend in Cold Storage Novena. Comes in a 484g bag or sachets. They also carry Hermesetes (Sp?) there as well.

Coke Zero is a good drink (That's the only diet drink I'll drink as it is the only one that tastes almost like a real coke).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

felicity_smiles

Post by felicity_smiles » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I found Xylitol this past weekend in Cold Storage Novena. Comes in a 484g bag or sachets. They also carry Hermesetes (Sp?) there as well.

Coke Zero is a good drink (That's the only diet drink I'll drink as it is the only one that tastes almost like a real coke).
sundaymorningstaple you seemingly have nothing better to do than sit at your computer on singaporeexpats all day. I see this by the number of ill informed posts you've put up on the website. Xylitol is not a low calorie sweetener so I cant understand why you've recommended it. Its merely suitable for diabetics as it does not significantly raise blood sugar levels. Furthermore, the main sweetening agent in Hermesetas is aspartame, which was specifically what I stated I wished to avoid

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BodyBlitz » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:30 pm

Why do you specifically need the alternative sweetener for, i'm curious.
http://bodyblitz.sg - A new era of fitness.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 1:15 pm

felicity_smiles wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I found Xylitol this past weekend in Cold Storage Novena. Comes in a 484g bag or sachets. They also carry Hermesetes (Sp?) there as well.

sundaymorningstaple you seemingly have nothing better to do than sit at your computer on singaporeexpats all day. I see this by the number of ill informed posts you've put up on the website. Xylitol is not a low calorie sweetener so I cant understand why you've recommended it. Its merely suitable for diabetics as it does not significantly raise blood sugar levels. Furthermore, the main sweetening agent in Hermesetas is aspartame, which was specifically what I stated I wished to avoid
After losing 26 kg last year, I post the information because others have also asked about Xylitol (which IS a low calorie sweetener) in the past and it was never available on the open market here in Singapore. If you don't want to use it, that's your business. But others searching these threads might want to know that it's available and the fact that it is a low calorie sugar replacement that, unlike a lot of them, is suitable for baking as well.
Xylitol has 40 per cent fewer calories and 75 per cent fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolised, resulting in very negligible changes in insulin. About one-third of the xylitol that is consumed is absorbed in the liver. The other two-thirds travels to the intestinal tract where it is broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids.

Over 1,500 scientific studies have found that the more you use xylitol, the more you can eliminate sugar cravings, reduce insulin levels and alkalinise your body.

Who knows, with your attitude, maybe, if we're lucky, the lack of "exactly" what you are looking for will send you on your way back. Guess what! This isn't Australia, this is Singapore. you came on a expat posting to a country that has a vastly different culture, different diets and different concepts and just now realized 'oh my gosh, it's not like Oz! How to survive! Heavens! Well, welcome to the real world. Did you think it was Australia's 7th State or 3rd territory?

Oh, I'd be willing to bet my percentage of so-called ill informed posts is significantly smaller than your percentage of antagonistic posts which at the moment is 50%. (and also ill-informed it would appear) With only 2 posts, you are off to a good start.

BodyBlitz,

Maybe she doesn't want to be one of the Aussies who helped Australia put the US in 2nd place on the world Fat Map? (let's see if she also mis-reads that as well). :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dyzcyvdticon

Splenda/Sucralose

Post by dyzcyvdticon » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:19 am

Might want to check Carrefour if they sell Splenda/Sucralose. But at the moment Coke Zero contains sucralose. Do check Pepsi or Pokka drinks as well.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:57 am

dyzcyvdticon,

That is exactly WHY I mentioned it. However, it's recipe is different in Australia.

felicity_smiles

Post by felicity_smiles » Wed, 15 Apr 2009 2:18 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
After losing 26 kg last year, I post the information because others have also asked about Xylitol (which IS a low calorie sweetener) in the past and it was never available on the open market here in Singapore. If you don't want to use it, that's your business. But others searching these threads might want to know that it's available and the fact that it is a low calorie sugar replacement that, unlike a lot of them, is suitable for baking as well.
Xylitol has 40 per cent fewer calories and 75 per cent fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolised, resulting in very negligible changes in insulin. About one-third of the xylitol that is consumed is absorbed in the liver. The other two-thirds travels to the intestinal tract where it is broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids.

Over 1,500 scientific studies have found that the more you use xylitol, the more you can eliminate sugar cravings, reduce insulin levels and alkalinise your body.

Who knows, with your attitude, maybe, if we're lucky, the lack of "exactly" what you are looking for will send you on your way back. Guess what! This isn't Australia, this is Singapore. you came on a expat posting to a country that has a vastly different culture, different diets and different concepts and just now realized 'oh my gosh, it's not like Oz! How to survive! Heavens! Well, welcome to the real world. Did you think it was Australia's 7th State or 3rd territory?

Oh, I'd be willing to bet my percentage of so-called ill informed posts is significantly smaller than your percentage of antagonistic posts which at the moment is 50%. (and also ill-informed it would appear) With only 2 posts, you are off to a good start.
:
Xylitol is NOT a LOW CALORIE sweetener; it is a REDUCED CALORIE sweetener. The term low calorie refers to something that contains less than 160 kilojoules per 100 grams which xylitol does not. Furthermore when I did try xylitol I was running to the loo every 5 minutes and couldn't leave the house due to intestinal upset.
The reason I am specifically after splenda/sucralose is because it's the only non caloric sweetener that actually tastes like sugar and doesn't have a bitter aftertaste.
If anyone is genuinly able to direct me as to where I can get some, I would be grateful. Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Apr 2009 7:01 am

felicity_smiles wrote: Xylitol is NOT a LOW CALORIE sweetener; it is a REDUCED CALORIE sweetener. The term low calorie refers to something that contains less than 160 kilojoules per 100 grams which xylitol does not.
If you want to split hairs that's fine, but for my own knowledge, please cite your reference.

As for you running to the loo, that's a shame, but you did not indicate that in your ealier post either. It doesn't affect most and usually only the one's that it does are those who consume way too much of the stuff. Of course everybody's body's are different so you could be one of the exceptions to the rule. Still no reason to get belligerent though.

Thanks.

sms

felicity_smiles

Post by felicity_smiles » Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:07 am

My reference point is the Code of Practice as set out by FSANZ (Food Standards Australia New Zealand). You will find the information at www.foodstandards.gov.au
The low calorie claim is the same for the FDA.

I AM SO HAPPY I HAVE FOUND SUCRALOSE IN SINGAPORE. There is currently someone on ebay Singapore selling it in 10 gram sachets with free postage!
If anyone else needs some just go to www.ebay.com.sg and search for sucralose.

dx7

Re: DIET FIZZY DRINK, CORDIAL, SPLENDA/SUCRALOSE please help

Post by dx7 » Wed, 11 Nov 2009 1:25 pm

felicity_smiles wrote: Can anyone head me in the right direction as to where I can locate-
A. diet soda/fizzy drink (non caffeine)
B. sugar free cordial
C. splenda/sucralose
If anyone has any of these items they are will to sell to me, I would gladly pay a decent price
I was just at Takashimaya and found that Cold Storage in the basement sells granulated Splenda in tubs and Splenda in pill form. Other supermarkets that I think might sell Splenda are the supermarket on the top floor of Ion Orchard and Marketplace at Paragon.

Yeah I know what you mean about the lack of sugar free drinks here... in Australia all supermarkets sell Sprite Zero, Schwepps sugar free lemonade, sugar free caffeine free Pepsi/Coke. After returning to Singapore I have not had any diet soda.

As for sugar free cordial, I can only think of Crystal Lite.

Hope this helps!

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Thu, 20 May 2010 1:08 am

I do not wish to dredge up a year old "discussion" but I felt this thread would be relevant to my inquiry about current availability of Splenda? Is it more available these days or it is still a hit and a miss.

I am thinking of buying a crate full at Costco and ship 'em.