Singapore Expats

Ex-PR thinking of applying for In Principle PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fujiwater

Ex-PR thinking of applying for In Principle PR

Post by fujiwater » Sun, 16 May 2010 7:51 pm

... wanted to run my profile and situation by the good folks here, and get an idea whether I should be applying for the landed PR scheme through SCMC.

About me: F/30/Indian Citizen

My history:
- Lived in Singapore from 1997 to 2007.
- Went to one of the local unis (NUS / NTU) on a full-ride Singapore government scholarship (through MOE) for my undergrad. Have a Masters degree in Science from the other university.
- Was PR from 2002 to mid-2007 (yeah, when ICA used to invite foreign graduates to apply post graduation). My PR was due for renewal in Q4 of 2007
- I was admit to a top MBA programs (Harvard/Wharton/Stanford) in 2007, and decided to attend it, leaving mid-2007. I lived in the US from 2007 to 2009.

Why I am not a PR any longer: Because I resigned from my job before I went for my PR renewal in early 2007. The good folks at ICA told me that as I was no longer employed full-time in Singapore, I could not renew my PR for a 5-year or 10-year block. At most, they could renew it for 1 more year, but that wouldn't help me because I would be a full-time student living in the US from 2007 to 2009.

The nice lady at ICA also told me that if I were to return to Singapore, she cannot assure me whether I can take up PR again etc. but I was left with little choice at that time.

So I decided to give up my PR (as it would have lapsed anyway) and withdrew my CPF funds to sponsor my USD 6-figure education (yeah, I also tried to talk to CPF about retaining my CPF funds and using the funds for my own education - apparently you can only use it for your kids :-))

Fast-forward 3 years - Recruited heavily for Singapore, however the recession happened, and good opportunities in Singapore were impossible to come by. I graduated in the worst possible time a B-school grad can graduate, I'm sure you all know :)

Post-graduation, I moved to a Private Equity house in Asia, and I've started sending feelers to Singapore contacts to test out the market. I haven't heard positively so far, but I imagine things are starting to look up.

I have been exploring all possible ways of relocating back to Singapore. In this scenario, does it make sense to put in a landed PR application through SCMC? That at least puts prospective employers at ease, and also allows me to move to Singapore to recruit.

Is there any anecdotal accounts of ex-PRs who were granted PR through the landed scheme?

[/list]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 10:41 pm

Are you prepared to replace all the CPF & Interest withdrawn PLUS any interest that would have accrued had it been left in situ during the interim? If so, then it's "possible". However, depending on your age, you may well be required to do NS this time around.

The following is taken from the ICA website:
Males who are granted Singapore PR, and who were previously Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of PR status they have been granted. For further enquiries, please write to:

Central Manpower Base
CMPB Podium
3, Depot Road
Singapore 109680
Tel : 1800-3676767 (local)
65-65676767 (overseas)
Email: [email protected]
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sun, 16 May 2010 11:24 pm

Yo SMS....been smoking too much eh :cool: OP did say she is female " About me: F/30/Indian Citizen "

With what I have learned from reading other posts your chances are slim.ICA has probably profiled you as a gold digger unless of course you have something valuable to give to Singapore...

am I on the right track, SMS?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 16 May 2010 11:53 pm

most unlikely. How will ICA trust a person who has renounced Singapore PR once before? that too at this strict approval times? Also Landed PR's are not easy these days and do take between 1-1.5 years in the recent times. They would have a clean record of that they offered u a one year renewal and u did not take it up that time.
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Sun, 16 May 2010 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2010 11:56 pm

I somehow missed the F/ . :shit:

But the rest still applies with regard to the replacement of the CPF & accrued interest. Just ignore the NS part although it needs to be there in case of other reading the thread who might be thinking about returning because they are finding the sh*t's worse in the rest of the world!

Gold digger? with her qualifications and working private equity houses, maybe I could be the gold digger! Of course "my" Indian wife might not like it though! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fujiwater

Post by fujiwater » Mon, 17 May 2010 2:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I somehow missed the F/ . :shit:

But the rest still applies with regard to the replacement of the CPF & accrued interest. Just ignore the NS part although it needs to be there in case of other reading the thread who might be thinking about returning because they are finding the sh*t's worse in the rest of the world!

Gold digger? with her qualifications and working private equity houses, maybe I could be the gold digger! Of course "my" Indian wife might not like it though! :lol:
LOL! Yeah SMS, NS does not apply to me!

I'm prepared to repay the CPF with interest - I clarified that with both ICA and CPF before I withdrew the funds - so that's not much of an issue.

As for ICA's suggestion of a 1 year renewal, as I mentioned, it would not have helped, because I pursued a 2 year degree in the US.

I'm hoping ICA looks on my case kindly because the timelines made it practically impossible for me to renew the PR, and the recession made it impossible for me to find a job in Singapore post-graduation.

I know I would definitely meet ICA's education + salary requirements with my profile and current job, but I have a nagging doubt that they may view me a PR-abuser, even though I'm trying to make the move after the worst of recession is behind us! :?
Last edited by fujiwater on Mon, 17 May 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

fujiwater

Post by fujiwater » Mon, 17 May 2010 2:25 am

singaporeflyer wrote:most unlikely. How will ICA trust a person who has renounced Singapore PR once before? that too at this strict approval times? Also Landed PR's are not easy these days and do take between 1-1.5 years in the recent times. They would have a clean record of that they offered u a one year renewal and u did not take it up that time.
I see your point. Regarding the 1 year renewal, she made the offer over the counter - this was over a conversation with the ICA officer - so I'm not sure whether there is any 'official documentation' in that regard.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 18 May 2010 10:11 pm

Hey SMS, think OP is young enough to be your daughter :)

Hey OP are you single and do you cook a good curry? :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 May 2010 10:51 pm

raden888 wrote:Hey SMS, think OP is young enough to be your daughter :)

Hey OP are you single and do you cook a good curry? :P
If she's half as smart as I think she is, she doesn't need to know how to cooka good curry, and if she's that young, I'll adopt instead! :P

Frankly speak though, I think she'll have little to no problems getting her PR back again. With brains, the government is always interested and with highly developed female brains, they be hoping she could add to a seriously depleted gene pool here. (or haven't you noticed) :o

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 18 May 2010 11:11 pm

Ya think SMS...Maybe cos she left to pursue MBA at an Ivy League school and now planning on returning , maybe the Gahmen might think this one can increase the local gene pool... 8-) but who knows the games the Gahmen play. Don't know if its badminton or ping pong, maybe both .....

OP I think the best is to apply after the elections or better yet get a job here..:) Things are perking up !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Ex-PR thinking of applying for In Principle PR

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 19 May 2010 5:39 am

fujiwater wrote: My history:
- Lived in Singapore from 1997 to 2007.
- Went to one of the local unis (NUS / NTU) on a full-ride Singapore government scholarship (through MOE) for my undergrad. Have a Masters degree in Science from the other university.
- Was PR from 2002 to mid-2007 (yeah, when ICA used to invite foreign graduates to apply post graduation). My PR was due for renewal in Q4 of 2007
- I was admit to a top MBA programs (Harvard/Wharton/Stanford) in 2007, and decided to attend it, leaving mid-2007. I lived in the US from 2007 to 2009.

Answer : Your chance is very good. There are 10 top Uni that are highly regarded by SG Gahmen. If you gave up your PR to pursue MBA and wanting to return , yes , you can as you are already earning scholarship by the Gahmen. They want you to "pay" some back.
GO to PR Application Section in Level 6(I think) at ICA.See the Commissioner or Senior Officer there. Please bring all your docs.
If this fail to get a response go to 4th floor Citizen Advise Bureau . Look for Mrs Soo SY. Not sure if she is still there but please have a go

I have been exploring all possible ways of relocating back to Singapore. In this scenario, does it make sense to put in a landed PR application through SCMC? That at least puts prospective employers at ease, and also allows me to move to Singapore to recruit.

Is there any anecdotal accounts of ex-PRs who were granted PR through the landed scheme?
Answer: Since you are prepared to return the sum taken out from CPF , prepare a Bank Draft under your name after checking with CPF how much to return to the last cent and get a letter from CPF stating this.You can always cancel this if not approved. Please come in person
Bring all this when you go to ICA.
You may be reinstated on either three conditions , PR In Principle, PR for One Year or PR for 3 yrs OR they offer you to get EP.
If they offer you to apply EP based on your qualification , get it writing and you can go to MOM which is another set of process which I think is not much an issue. SMS knows more about this than myself
If it comes to this, I suggest grab it first then you go from there

General rule of thumb, you relinquish your PR to go for study, there are cases like these and you wanted to return to SG. You ARE NOT PR ABUSER per se base on your info.
PR Abuser is a "SPECIAL NICHE GROUP" highly intelligent and like a swarm of locust going from one place to another which I highly doubt you are one from the onset of your intention.
There is some anecdotal evidence but I am forbid to go into detail as this is a public forum.
Nonetheless proof of the pudding is by eating eat, you have to show your earnest sincerity in this application.
Please remember you have only one chance so get all your docs prepared to the T even if they did not asked for it like previous employment in SG and ex-employer letter on why you resign
Every supporting documents counts. This is ICA, they have "a 10 year series book" with them so please do not muck it up.
Good Luck

[/list]
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 19 May 2010 1:03 pm

Wow...MS the man with all the answers. Bow down to the :king:

fujiwater

Spoke with SCMC again

Post by fujiwater » Wed, 19 May 2010 2:59 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts (in addition to the offers of marriage, a foster home, and a chef's job, from the sound of it :D )

I spoke with SCMC earlier this week - I think I'll take my chances with an In Principle PR application now and see how it goes from there. The lady I spoke with said that it usually takes between 3 to 6 months to hear back from ICA, which works well with my time frame as well - I'm looking to make the move within the next 6 to 8 months.

I'm planning on a visit to Singapore in August / September, so I may just drop by ICA as suggested by Mad Scientist (if I have not heard from ICA by then).

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys posted on the progress!

fujiwater

Elections?

Post by fujiwater » Wed, 19 May 2010 3:05 pm

By the way, is there any news on when the elections are scheduled for?

Also, there was a piece in yesterday's news on actual statistics for PR and New Citizenship numbers

Fewer get PR, citizenship

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Elections?

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 20 May 2010 5:08 am

fujiwater wrote:By the way, is there any news on when the elections are scheduled for?

Also, there was a piece in yesterday's news on actual statistics for PR and New Citizenship numbers

Fewer get PR, citizenship

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES
Read this . Food For Thought
Singapore almost doubled the rate it grants citizenship and permanent residence in the past five years to counter a falling birth rate, and let firms bring in thousands to work at hotels, shipyards and restaurants. The move saw foreigners make up one in every three people. The government plans to slow the inflow to avoid being “overwhelmed,”
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!