Singapore Expats

Can you apply for Employment Pass if you're on Visiting Visa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
wiseguy185

Can you apply for Employment Pass if you're on Visiting Visa

Post by wiseguy185 » Sun, 16 May 2010 10:48 am

Can you go to Singapore on a visitor's visa for 90 days and apply to stay longer; or get a job and apply for Employment Pass. A Work Permit (Foreign Worker) to be exact?

I have gained plenty of experience in catering and restaurant jobs working in the UK. If I got a job in a restaurant or hotel, can they apply for work permit for me if I am on a visiting visa??

Do I have to be in Singapore to secure a job or can I apply over the internet too? If the answer is yes, can I apply for Work Permit without having to be in Singapore while I am in my country?

Please let me know if you know something. All your answers are appreciated! I am an Uzbekistan national.

Thank you very much for your answers guys!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Sun, 16 May 2010 11:36 am

They can apply for a work permit for you even if you are not in the country. So that will not be a problem. Lot of people come here in a short visit trying to secure a job when here. Not easy in the current situation, but possible.

If you stay in your country, as said, also Ok. I had my work secured before coming here (as high percentage of us), so I arrived Changi with my IPA letter already. Would not have sense to have to come here to apply, and then maybe to be rejected.

Good luck

wiseguy185

Post by wiseguy185 » Mon, 17 May 2010 7:25 am

I actually want to move there to go to University. I also want to work as well. I am not sure what I should do first - should I apply for a Uni online and if accepted, do I then apply for a Student Pass?

Or I am thinking, secure a job first from here, apply for WP and then hopefully once I am in Singapore, then apply to go to Uni afterwards? But the Uni's have limited admission period. Another thing, if you are on a WP visa are you allowed to study?

Which way do you think is better guys? Or should I do both at the same time? I mean, secure a job first, get a WP and at the same time apply for a Uni now because I want to get a scholarship or financial aid as well once I am accepted for Uni. Does anyone know or have been in a similar situation?

Asdracles wrote:They can apply for a work permit for you even if you are not in the country. So that will not be a problem. Lot of people come here in a short visit trying to secure a job when here. Not easy in the current situation, but possible.

If you stay in your country, as said, also Ok. I had my work secured before coming here (as high percentage of us), so I arrived Changi with my IPA letter already. Would not have sense to have to come here to apply, and then maybe to be rejected.

Good luck

ShineShine

hi

Post by ShineShine » Tue, 18 May 2010 6:00 pm

once u r on student pass, u r not allowed to work by spore law. however, students from certain universities like the government ones are allowed to work.

its quite tough for foreigners to get job here, unless u have those status like PR. Companies here always demand for Singaporean or PRs,. if u go through online ads u will see that. they dont like to sponsor u with Employment pass or PR.

myself, fresh graduate n looking for job too. Unfortunately always got rejected because I dont have the status PR.

Milrando
Regular
Regular

Post by Milrando » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 3:51 pm

Or you can apply EPEC for 1 yEAR IN SINGAPORE for looking a job..
for more details...
https://epec.mom.gov.sg/epec/index.do

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 4:10 pm

Milrando wrote:Or you can apply EPEC for 1 yEAR IN SINGAPORE for looking a job..
for more details...
https://epec.mom.gov.sg/epec/index.do
Getting an EPEC does not guarantee that you will get a one year pass to look for a job. Recently we've had one on here who application for a LTVP was rejected even though he's got an EPEC.

The only thing that the EPEC does is guarantee the potential employer that an EP application will not be rejected due to the potential employee's qualifications.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Milrando
Regular
Regular

Post by Milrando » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:02 pm

LTVP holders accompanying their children in Singapore schools

Such pass holders include mothers who have come to Singapore to accompany their children studying in mainstream schools (at primary, secondary or junior college levels).

These pass holders are encouraged to spend more time with their children, especially when the child is just starting school in Singapore. This will help the child adjust and provide a firm grounding to cope with the rigorous demands of Singapore's education system.

In line with this, these LTVP holders will not be allowed to work on a WP during their first year in Singapore. After which, they may apply for WPs to work in any sector subject to the prospective company's dependency quota. The WP will be subject to foreign worker levy.
Please note that these LTVP holders are not allowed to work in objectionable occupations such as bar/dance hostesses, masseurs etc.
S Pass or EP applications will be assessed based on prevailing criteria (i.e. educational qualifications, salary, occupation, experience).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:38 pm

Milrando wrote:LTVP holders accompanying their children in Singapore schools

Such pass holders include mothers who have come to Singapore to accompany their children studying in mainstream schools (at primary, secondary or junior college levels).

These pass holders are encouraged to spend more time with their children, especially when the child is just starting school in Singapore. This will help the child adjust and provide a firm grounding to cope with the rigorous demands of Singapore's education system.

In line with this, these LTVP holders will not be allowed to work on a WP during their first year in Singapore. After which, they may apply for WPs to work in any sector subject to the prospective company's dependency quota. The WP will be subject to foreign worker levy.
Please note that these LTVP holders are not allowed to work in objectionable occupations such as bar/dance hostesses, masseurs etc.
S Pass or EP applications will be assessed based on prevailing criteria (i.e. educational qualifications, salary, occupation, experience).
You've gone to a lot of trouble to copy & paste that from elsewhere, but I am not sure what your purpose was as the thread is not about a accompanying parent. It's about an Adult coming here to do a Degree and working at the same time. You are only succeeding in muddling up the issue at the moment as your post doesn't really have any bearing on the thread at all. :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Milrando
Regular
Regular

Post by Milrando » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 3:20 am

HI,

Firstly i just wanna ask you to read a Mom gov website.. read all..
secondly, doen't mean you have EPEC you will accept the LTVP .
Thirdly, friend of mine holding a EPEC alrdy looking a job for almost 8 months ( i think my friend just wanna stay here for relaxing 1st instead of working ) haha..
Fourth, if you wanna knw the answer 100% correctly, GO to Moe gov website email them for help. and they will reply you question within two days (normally)
and last, yes it;s right that the EPEC does is guarantee the potential employer due to the potential employee's qualifications.

so i dont hv any future comment
thks you