Singapore Expats

Singapore English, the new lingua franca

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 14 May 2010 11:32 pm

crap im late for the party :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 14 May 2010 11:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He ain't got no sense of humour (British or otherwise).
Trust you, you old fart and you hardly know me.[-X No free beer for you when you get to the UK (by that time it'll be so expensive I'll be needing somebody to offset the VAT):P

Yes 'our friend' lost it big time.

By the way: PM for you, not sure my function is working properly

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, I got it. That's why I replied here for fun. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 15 May 2010 12:24 am

Still one in my outbox to you. :???:

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 15 May 2010 8:08 am

Plavt wrote:For the benefit of the regulars I have removed the troll, just have to hope he doesn't come back again but don't count on it. :(
Sigh. I detected some weirdness in the way he was so emphatic in his glorification - doesn't he reflect the old warheads though? Simultaneously, his ranting and raving are signs that he needed help - do you turn away the sick who need help to get some poison in their system out? He sounds so desperate but he didn't know it of course. OTOH, he might think he's bantering with you lot. Give peace a chance? Anyway, he can't penetrate your metallic coat of arms. Can anyone?
We should just let him psychodrama - an old Malay cure for maladies of the heart and mind - it out. Create a special ward for trolls as you call them them and we can be his shrinks. Compassion is a fine thing.
Sorry for the digression. Re the Singlish issue , didn't they used to love Choa Chu Kang? There're many S'poreans who speak very excellent English but the heartlands are snobbish interlinguals who are proud to grate your ears with their peasantries. I mean, some of them speak Mandarin that's equally rough at the edges. You have proud non-conformist speakers like this in every country - street talk, slangs, Cockney etc . Are they dialects or a sublingual variant?
I was in Cambodia before the atrocities of the American bombings and their own civil wars - it was a beautiful country and could have been more so than Singapore, with its royal dancers, monks and diversities. Good to remember Vaucluse's appreciation of SG, err , after these nightmarish jingoisms.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 15 May 2010 8:43 am

Sorry Ann, we are not here to be therapists, apart from hijacking threads he was being abusive and perhaps personal at which I had no option. You can read some of his attacks in the rubbish forum.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 9:52 am

Yeah, Plavt is always spoiling my fun! :cry: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, Plavt is always spoiling my fun! :cry: :cool:
Mine too. I had the bait out and ready to reel him in .... And I am not yet an expat - a couple of months and then I will be kicking bootie and taking names... Interesting place this little island.

More seriously, these kind of xenophobic trolls exist in every forum. Usually they tend to be high-school age kids recently jilted.

Reminds me of the Serdar Argic spam bot on usenet from the early 1990s.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 15 May 2010 3:14 pm

beenthere wrote:
Mine too. I had the bait out and ready to reel him in .... And I am not yet an expat - a couple of months and then I will be kicking bootie and taking names... Interesting place this little island.

More seriously, these kind of xenophobic trolls exist in every forum. Usually they tend to be high-school age kids recently jilted.

:tongue: :tongue: To both of you.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 15 May 2010 3:29 pm

You found it 'fun' reading a stark ranting driven? The poor guy might 've been on the verge of psychological collapse - or will be if his outside world's so harsh. He might be a teen freak or an aspiring student, even an old general. Now no one'll ever know.
I would have liked to find out who he is and give him a bit of friendly diagnosis. SMS, I thought you'd been a truer liberal with allowing free speech - at least for a while, a few days, to calm him down.
The upshot - can Plavt allow geerang back to see how he'll ring changes?

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 15 May 2010 3:33 pm

beenthere wrote:

For someone who'd been there, you only get hardened. Ever consider going back for all its worth? lol
These guys might not mind being patronized by you, but I do. It's a dot as everyone knows it, microscopically tinnier than you can imagine.
You might do a better Western (cowboys and Injuns) on some other continent.
Who says there' no xenophobism in everyone and that it's something we need to sort out ourselves?

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 15 May 2010 3:46 pm

Plavt wrote:Sorry Ann, we are not here to be therapists, apart from hijacking threads he was being abusive and perhaps personal at which I had no option. You can read some of his attacks in the rubbish forum.
Try to get my name spelt right, Plavt; don't know why but it's case sensitive if you want me to regard you on equal terms, for whatever's worth.
Regarding attacks, surely they only reflect on his own imbalances? Besides, everyone does it here sometime or other. I'd say let a green shoot grow into a big tree. lol

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 4:26 pm

anneteoh wrote: I'd say let a green shoot grow into a big tree. lol
The problem is, with his type, the green shoot more often than not, is a strangler fig, that when given enough time, will eventually kill it's host. Read that as our regulars getting frazzled at the garbage in all the threads, so move on the better, smoother pastures. Without the regulars, the site dies. :-|

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 4:31 pm

anneteoh wrote:
You found it 'fun' reading a stark ranting driven? The poor guy might 've been on the verge of psychological collapse - or will be if his outside world's so harsh. He might be a teen freak or an aspiring student, even an old general. Now no one'll ever know.
I would have liked to find out who he is and give him a bit of friendly diagnosis. SMS, I thought you'd been a truer liberal with allowing free speech - at least for a while, a few days, to calm him down.
The upshot - can Plavt allow geerang back to see how he'll ring changes?
He would have to admit first that he had a problem for him to be helped which he clearly wasn't even near to even realizing. He also refused to appealing to reason a good number of us had already tried with him. He was clearly more interested in raising hell than engaging in dialog. He didn't respond to us speaking softly so we had to use those big sticks we've been carrying. If Plavt didn't ban him, even bigger sticks would have been used; not just by SMS.

About him coming back, give it time. These types always pop up eventually.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 15 May 2010 4:40 pm

anneteoh wrote: I would have liked to find out who he is and give him a bit of friendly diagnosis.
Without knowing the person and without being a trained psychotherapists/psychiatrist such attempts are best a danger to the individual involved. Sorry not yours or my problem.