Singapore Expats

Preferential treatment for Malaysian citizens in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:17 am

x9200, I'm inclined to agree with you. I deliberately tried to trigger him and all he seems to be able to come up with is something that smells. That and characterizing me the same (e.g., naive) instead of coming up with something of his own.

However, his data sets would seem to be his own as they are highly overinflated. But, let's see how he goes. He's definitely Singaporean though, has the same inferiority complex as most, therefore trying to defend the indefensible while overlooking the obvious. After attacking me on my military observations, he's now, bringing in the 5 power defense pact (e.g., allies) to support Singapore. Which is primarily what I said about the 72 hours standoff capability to give her allies the time to get here. So, he's trying surreptitiously to back pedal a bit. So maybe he's just another of the overly xenophobic academia here. Let's see where he goes..... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 14 May 2010 11:27 am

Yeah SMS, I even don't try to discuss. Assuming his best intention it is like yourself and Nakatago already pointed out plus often translating figures of speech to the factual statements so no point. As usual I am not on a mission.

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Fri, 14 May 2010 12:27 pm

In response to Geerang who said M'sian are queuing up to take Singapore PR/Citizenship ...... that is half true.

PR yes, but citizenship no.
Why must give up their M'sian IC for Singapore red IC. Best is to have the best of both world, or rather not get trap in SGland.

Have many M'sian friends during school days at the uni. Many told me that they were going to give up the M'sian IC for the Singapore ones. That was 20 years ago. Now when I catch up with them and asked them about it, all decide against it and instead just go for the PR. They got wiser I guess.
I work to live and not live to work.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 14 May 2010 3:17 pm

I know several who have dumped their MY citizenship for SG, and a wide move that is . . .

They now live in a country where their vote actually means something, where they can buy property on par with everyone else, where they don't have to worry about corrupt police, bureaucrats, politicians and rampant crime.

What's to lose? Not much, really. Any Malaysians who don't change to SG citizenship just don't have the gumption . . . also, let's look at the hundreds of thousands of Malaysians leaving Malaysia every year and taking up new citizenship . . .

Malaysia ta'boleh

'nuff said Image

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Fri, 14 May 2010 3:46 pm

waz wrote:In response to Geerang who said M'sian are queuing up to take Singapore PR/Citizenship ...... that is half true.

PR yes, but citizenship no.
Why must give up their M'sian IC for Singapore red IC. Best is to have the best of both world, or rather not get trap in SGland.

Have many M'sian friends during school days at the uni. Many told me that they were going to give up the M'sian IC for the Singapore ones. That was 20 years ago. Now when I catch up with them and asked them about it, all decide against it and instead just go for the PR. They got wiser I guess.
Trapped in SGland? Visa free to almost all countries in the world baby. 30 mins bus ride into malaysia, just grab your passport and go. Exchange rate is 1sgd:2.5ringgit. Can you say CHEAP food and groceries? Some nice women as well.

Do you know how inefficient and dirty australia is? 512kbps Internet that is capped? What year is this, 1995?

3 weeks just for a lazy bum to fix your air conditioner? I could have shipped an air conditioner from Korea to Singapore, have it installed, paint some pikachu pictures on it and build a new house in 3 weeks!
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Fri, 14 May 2010 4:14 pm

Hey guys,

Many M'sian want to become SG Citizen. Later on they realized their mistake and by then, got stuck in SGland. Though many M'sian become Singaporean, let us don't forget many Singaporean gave up their citizenship for other countries.

For Australia, inefficient yes, but dirty probably no. Depends on where you are. 3 weeks to fix a problem, as they say here - no worries. No pressure. It is great when you are on the other side of the coin. After awhile, you get used to it.

As for voting rights, don't really care. When I was in Singapore, my precinct had two consecutive walkover. What voting is that?

30 minutes bus ride to M'sia! Wow really a small island.
In down under, I drove and drove and drove ..... and I am still inside the same state.

Corrupt police, bureaucrats, rampant crimes..... also got in Oz. As a matter of fact in almost all the countries except Singapore. Super clean government & people.

Common guys, don't take it seriously. Just kidding. If not, I would be arguing this on the "strictly speaking" forum.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Fri, 14 May 2010 4:34 pm

SGD1:RM2.5?

Wow, is that from some black market money changer? Tell me, I ask policeman go catch them.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Fri, 14 May 2010 4:52 pm

waz wrote:Hey guys,

Many M'sian want to become SG Citizen. Later on they realized their mistake and by then, got stuck in SGland. Though many M'sian become Singaporean, let us don't forget many Singaporean gave up their citizenship for other countries.

For Australia, inefficient yes, but dirty probably no. Depends on where you are. 3 weeks to fix a problem, as they say here - no worries. No pressure. It is great when you are on the other side of the coin. After awhile, you get used to it.

As for voting rights, don't really care. When I was in Singapore, my precinct had two consecutive walkover. What voting is that?

In down under, I drove and drove and drove ..... and I am still inside the same state.

Corrupt police, bureaucrats, rampant crimes..... also got in Oz. As a matter of fact in almost all the countries except Singapore. Super clean government & people.

Common guys, don't take it seriously. Just kidding. If not, I would be arguing this on the "strictly speaking" forum.
Yes it is not a problem going 3 weeks without air conditioner during hot summers or a working toilet bowl. Not a problem waiting 2 hours to download a 500mb movie as well only to find out your internet has exceeded its cap. Not a problem that all your employees stroll in to the office 2 hours late with a can of beer in their hands, telling you to "relax mate", while your company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Not a problem that all stores close and you cannot buy anything after work. Not a problem that spiders in your house can kill your infant within 15mins and that syringes are found on the streets , some of which are filled with violent pyschopaths and drug addicts.
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 5:05 pm

Ahhhhh, so you are another typical Singaporean illegal downloader of bittorrent movies is it? Bet you used Napster as well. :o

Considering the ISP you are using over there used to be famous as a seeding site for P2P stuff, it fits. You were/are probably well acquainted with the ISP, yeah? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 May 2010 5:09 pm

Before you diss others about their English, be it British or American spellings, you might want to proof your own stuff before you hit the submit button..........
geerang wrote:
Yes it is not a problem going 3 weeks without air conditioner during hot summers or a working toilet bowl. Not a problem waiting 2 hours to download a 500mb movie as well only to find out your internet has exceeded its cap. Not a problem that all your employees stroll in to the office 2 hours late with a can of beer in their hands, telling you to "relax mate", while your company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Not a problem that all stores close and you cannot buy anything after work. Not a problem that spiders in your house can kill your infant within 15mins and that syringes are found on the streets , some of which are filled with violent pyschopaths and drug addicts.
Must be damned big syringes!?! To be able to get violent psychopaths AND drug addicts in them that is! :lol:

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Fri, 14 May 2010 5:22 pm

Good one, SMS!

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Fri, 14 May 2010 7:08 pm

As wifey put it, " .......from hard- to-dream SGland, to living the dream with occasional nightmare in Ozland". We'll take the later.

It is true .... store close early. Cannot buy anything. Alas, have to spend time with family at home.

That's interesting ..... employee came in late and with beer in the hand. Wow, never see it before, maybe those dodgy companies. Have been in Oz for few years. Afaik, my employer at least, can't even pass thru the entrance if breath test failed. On the hand, I remember working few years back in SG in one of the semi-govt organization where one of the snr officer had smell of alcohol, and running big machines.

Syringes ...... never see meh. Must really keep a lookout.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 15 May 2010 8:39 pm

waz wrote:Hey guys,

Many M'sian want to become SG Citizen. Later on they realized their mistake and by then, got stuck in SGland.

You repeat yourselfs and still don't explain why they are 'stuck' . . .

Though many M'sian become Singaporean, let us don't forget many Singaporean gave up their citizenship for other countries.

And your point is? Geexz, you really need to brush up your discussion skills

As for voting rights, don't really care.

That's your opinion, not that of many others

When I was in Singapore, my precinct had two consecutive walkover. What voting is that?

Corrupt police, bureaucrats, rampant crimes..... also got in Oz.

So, you're saying that Malaysia and Oz are on par with these issyes? Proves you're a clueless prat

As a matter of fact in almost all the countries except Singapore. Super clean government & people.

The you clearly have a problem with English

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:49 pm

Hey V., methinks it's time you got a new keyboard. That one's giving you lots a problems again. :-|

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey V., methinks it's time you got a new keyboard. That one's giving you lots a problems again. :-|
Either that or V had a few too many VB's :lol: