Singapore Expats

Singapore English, the new lingua franca

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 8:55 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 9:51 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Word!

Raden? Where's that from, eh? Another foreigner . . . Just like these pesky Singaporeans . . . foreigners, the lot of them!

Why am I the only one here who is NOT a foreigner . . . +1 and the like.

Foreigners . . . :(
Google is my friend too. :lol: Not sure if you could read it word for word.Its quite hillarious.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:20 pm

:) I did, thanks . . . very funny and so very true. Living here in Ta'boleh Land these last few years has really made me realise just how good Singapore is in almost every facety . . . compared to anywhere else in South East Asia, that's why I find it funny when I hear expats having an attack of the vapours due to 'Singlish' or 'spatial awareness' or 'driving habits'.

Singapore boleh!

Ah, isn't nakatago a welcome addition here . . . thanks for having a sense of humour, mate! :lol:

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:12 am

no problem, mate. i enjoy a good joke as much as thenext guy.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore English, the new lingua franca

Post by local lad » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 8:57 am

Vaucluse wrote:So, we've all had a laugh at Singapore English . . . which for my money is still the best English spoken fluently in Asia (excluding the PIs)

Last night at dinner I saw this little gem . . .

Singapore English, taught at all professional language schools near you

(And: "All new enrol students will enjoy 50% discount") :)
Where did you see this sign?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:45 pm

local lad wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:So, we've all had a laugh at Singapore English . . . which for my money is still the best English spoken fluently in Asia (excluding the PIs)

Where did you see this sign?
Menjalara, just up from Desa Park City. Off the LDP on the way to Kepong.

My wife's niece invited us to a good Chinese place we frequent. We had Singapore Fried Rice for the kids, Hokkien Mee (they have the dark sauce here), sweet and sour pork and some other HK-noodle dish . . . and a Heineken.

Precise enough? :)
Last edited by Vaucluse on Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:45 pm

Vaucluse wrote::) I did, thanks . . . very funny and so very true. Living here in Ta'boleh Land these last few years has really made me realise just how good Singapore is in almost every facety . . . compared to anywhere else in South East Asia, that's why I find it funny when I hear expats having an attack of the vapours due to 'Singlish' or 'spatial awareness' or 'driving habits'.

Singapore boleh!

Ah, isn't nakatago a welcome addition here . . . thanks for having a sense of humour, mate! :lol:

Yea,those perennial complain boxes! Send them to Mogadishu I say :lol:

Nakatago for President! If Imelda can still garner votes, I reckon Nakatago will be able to pull in the votes with wit and intelligence. Maybe then the Phillipines won't be such a screw up :cool:

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 9:35 pm

I would say Singaporeans are generally much more fluent than Philippinos. One uses it as their first language, the other uses it as a second or third language. Compare Gloria Arroyo or any Philippino parliament members with Lee Kuan Yew or any Singaporean parliament member. Standard Singapore English for the win! :)
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:30 pm

geerang wrote:I would say Singaporeans are generally much more fluent than Philippinos. One uses it as their first language, the other uses it as a second or third language. Compare Gloria Arroyo or any Philippino parliament members with Lee Kuan Yew or any Singaporean parliament member. Standard Singapore English for the win! :)
First, you spelled Filipino wrong.

Second, we don't have a parliament. Not yet, anyway.

Third, comparing LKY to GMA is intentionally picking biased examples to illustrate your point. And btw, GMA is fluent; sure her speech doesn't sound nice, but her English is at par with most English-speaking world leaders.

Fourth, this is an old thread, why dig it up? Or as I once heard, "why rake old ashes?" Talk about beating a dead horse.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Fri, 14 May 2010 1:14 am

nakatago wrote:
geerang wrote:I would say Singaporeans are generally much more fluent than Philippinos. One uses it as their first language, the other uses it as a second or third language. Compare Gloria Arroyo or any Philippino parliament members with Lee Kuan Yew or any Singaporean parliament member. Standard Singapore English for the win! :)
First, you spelled Filipino wrong.

Second, we don't have a parliament. Not yet, anyway.

Third, comparing LKY to GMA is intentionally picking biased examples to illustrate your point. And btw, GMA is fluent; sure her speech doesn't sound nice, but her English is at par with most English-speaking world leaders.

Fourth, this is an old thread, why dig it up? Or as I once heard, "why rake old ashes?" Talk about beating a dead horse.
Well take GMA's English and compare it to anyone of Singapore's parliamentary members then, doesn't have to be Lee Kuan Yew. Who speaks better? There is Singlish and there is Standard Singapore English.

Sorry to burst your bubble but GMA's spoken English is horrible and VERY hard to comprehend. There are no, zero, zilch, English speaking world leaders who speaks like her. For some reason, the average philipinos working in Singapore seems to speak better English than her.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 14 May 2010 7:57 am

You mean she has an atrocious accent. Different thing.

And to use your own argument, nobody in the world speaks like stephen hawking either.

Your point then is moot. You did, however, prove that you truly are singaporean. No doubt about it.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 14 May 2010 10:01 am

geerang wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble but GMA's spoken English is horrible and VERY hard to comprehend. There are no, zero, zilch, English speaking world leaders who speaks like her.

Kim Jong Il?

George W. Bush?

I found it very hard to comprehend GW not because he was difficult to understand, per se, but because he spoke Giberish.

KittyJules76

Post by KittyJules76 » Fri, 14 May 2010 2:14 pm

Dont know where to write so hope dont mind i write here. A friend of mine sister (same country as me) came here to find a job. She got MBA (from our country) and has work experience as HR in one of the big F&B company(owned hotels and restaurant chains) in our country. To cut the story short, this morning I sent an sms to her to cancel our appt tomorrow.

Me: Hi, dont think I can go to movie tomorrow. I am sick but will let you know later whether we can go on Sunday. Take care.

Her: Yes. what time I come you and meet where

Me: :? Dont know coz I am sick. I let u know when I feel better.

Her: Why are you sick? Are you one leave office?

Me: (translation by me: may be she's asking am i on leave) So I reply
I am sick with flu. I have some interview so no choice but have to go to office. Will go and see doctor this afternoon.

Her: Yeah. I am going back to my country on 23rd

Me : .......... :x :???:

Then she called me. I ignore the call, too tired to speak.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 14 May 2010 2:29 pm

^ :lol: Brilliant

'nuff said Image

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Fri, 14 May 2010 3:08 pm

KittyJules76 wrote:Dont know where to write so hope dont mind i write here. A friend of mine sister (same country as me) came here to find a job.
There is nothing more hilarious than watching a bunch of people, like some loser expatriates here, who obviously struggle with English criticising others.