Singapore Expats

Bombshelters????

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Tue, 11 May 2010 8:28 am

$15 a bottle is a bargain if the wine was drinkable :)

What makes me wondering in Cold Storage are those bigger (I think they are 2l?) bottles if Carlo Rossi, which one day may cost over 40 dollars and the next something like $27.

And here we go - from bomb shelters to wines. What would expat keep in a panic room in the first place? :lol:

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:21 pm

it is a bargain. The cheapest I ever found here was $10 - it was red which I don't usually drink but I still bought it because I couldn't let a bargain like that slip by..........I put lemonade in it (I'm not a lush..........honest :wink: :lol: )

What would I keep in the panic room if I had one? Well it wouldn't be wine because it gets drunk too quickly in our house to form of a 'wine cellar'. We'd probably keep junk in it (a bit like an alternative garage - in the UK most people keep everything but the car in their garage, we'd keep everything but the people in the panic room!).

Post by 24601 » Tue, 11 May 2010 6:28 pm

Ah yes the UK Garage with the additional freezer, broken armchair, kids toys, the lawn mower and BBQ that you bought and never used and yes probably a few bottles of wine as well!

But I assume if you were actually scared of bombs then bottled water and tins of canned beef :( Though realistically I'm thinking walk-in wardrobe!
Life in a box is better than no life at all... I expect.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Tue, 11 May 2010 10:02 pm

ooooh or a walk in Carlsberg fridge like in that advert :)

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Wed, 12 May 2010 8:58 am

My husband used to brew his own beer here couple of years ago. He got the special license and all the equipment and yes - he has used the maid's room for that :lol:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 May 2010 5:55 pm

Carlo Rossi California Red, [email protected]@JelitaCS today. Not the cheapest one of this sort but well drinkable. Hurry! :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 12 May 2010 6:07 pm

Its a real bummer if you use a lot of wine in cooking, been looking for the holy grail of cooking wines, so far the best we found is $15 per bottle. Probably be $5 per bottle in the rest of the world.

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 5:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
24601 wrote:Wow that's shocking. Singapore failing to meet basic human rights....
Why is it shocking? This is still Asia isn't it? Life is considered cheap here. Especially if they are employees or slaves/maids. The really don't consider maids to be humans so therefore it okay to treat 'em like animals. Actually, animals are treated better normally.
There are laws against maid abuse in Singapore and these criminals are given hefty punishments. Maids are generally treated well. I think most people don't use bomb shelters as maid rooms and when they do, they leave the door open and install a fan for ventilation, so it is not as bad as you make it sound like.

Asia is big and has some poor countries just like Europe but there are many countries which are the richest and in the world like Singapore. No guns, no drugs, no smelly lazy thugs.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 13 May 2010 7:21 pm

geerang wrote:.... and when they do, they leave the door open and install a fan for ventilation, so it is not as bad....
A view like that can only come from a Singaporean :shock:

geerang
Regular
Regular

Post by geerang » Thu, 13 May 2010 7:33 pm

QRM wrote:
geerang wrote:.... and when they do, they leave the door open and install a fan for ventilation, so it is not as bad....
A view like that can only come from a Singaporean :shock:
Nah SundayMorning is trying to paint a picture of a maid locked in a 4 by 4 without any air or sunlight and says there are no human rights here.

In reality, the maids leave the doors open and have a fan for proper ventilation. They also roam around the house most of the time and use the room just for sleeping.

Maids have legal recourse and many avenues to voice their complaints and the authorities do take them seriously. If a maid was locked in a room without ventilation, this being Singapore we are talking about, you can expect the employer to be seriously dealt with.
Sgporean in France for one year master degree. Back to Spore by 2011!

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Thu, 13 May 2010 9:10 pm

And in your opinion the bomb shelter is indeed a good room from a human being? I am sorry, but with the door open and installed fan it can be a good storage place and nothing else than that.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 14 May 2010 9:43 am

The real mystery to me is how it makes any kind of sense to have a high rise 'bomb shelter'! I would have thought it defeats the whole purpose...
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 14 May 2010 11:15 am

Addadude wrote:The real mystery to me is how it makes any kind of sense to have a high rise 'bomb shelter'! I would have thought it defeats the whole purpose...
Your body will be much better preserved in a concrete sarcophagus.

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Mon, 17 May 2010 11:33 am

i wonder how much complaints we'll hear if we made some of the employers stay in a 4 X 4 room with a fan and the window open??

whatever happened to a persons right to PRIVACY???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 May 2010 12:08 pm

patsy_sg wrote: whatever happened to a persons right to PRIVACY???
That left with the advent of HDB housing & condos so close together that you can shake hands across the maintenance balcony. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”