Singapore Expats

WET PHONE

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

WET PHONE

Post by ozchick » Wed, 12 May 2010 6:40 pm

Can't believe it's happened to me again! My Nokia isn't even 6 months old and we got caught in the rain yesterday....sigh...but as insurance I sat it under a fan all last night and it was good this morning. But then this afternoon, damn, she's as dead as a doornail! So someone said to sit it in a container of dry rice. So that's where she is and my fingers are crossed. But it may be her final resting place. Can't believe I let this happen. I'm trying to save money before I leave Sg so I've stopped taking cabs for the most part and then get caught in the rain! So now I may have to buy a new phone..damn and bugger and bum ! :mad:
What would happen if I nuked it for 10 seconds? Nah 'spose not.........
Is there a 'wet-phone' salvage company anywhere? Course not, this is just the 21st century.....any other remedies?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 May 2010 7:07 pm

Wrap it up in one layer of a darker but not black fabric and place it in the direct sunlight for an hour or two.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 May 2010 7:30 pm

x9200 wrote:Wrap it up in one layer of a darker but not black fabric and place it in the direct sunlight for an hour or two.
Take the battery out and leave the cover off to promote drying within.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 12 May 2010 8:21 pm

buy a german mobile phone.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 13 May 2010 7:33 am

All phones nowadays are more sturdy and compact.
It is just a piece of either phenolic or glass epoxy circuit board with a multiple layer of 8 by 8.
All the components are COB with microprocessor with Digital RAM hence it it not easy to breakdown and a couple of SMD chips unlike it's predecessor using T cap or E cap with stand resistor and component.Very unreliable and fragile
There are only two part that makes it fragile and not work
The screen and the battery contact point for a single face phone. If yours is like the V3 then the flip part contact is a problem too.
Dry the battery first. Make sure it is dry
Take your battery phone and charge it with someone else phone similar to yours. If it can be charged then the battery is fine
Do the opposite with another person's battery with your phone.
from there you can confirm if it is ok or not
Please make sure you dry the phone first b4 you try this.
The contact point of the battery only need millivolt to get started. This area must be dry and the contact is good
It should work as you did not soak it in water. It is just got wet that is all
Hope this helps. good luck !!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

waz
Regular
Regular

Post by waz » Thu, 13 May 2010 1:09 pm

Happened to me manyu times.

Strip it the phone off as much as possible. And put it in a dry cabinet.
Let it stay for there for at least a couple of days.

Do not put the phone, especially the battery, under the hot sun. It will fry the circuit and damaged the battery. Won't be totally dry (inside) in Singapore humid weather.
I work to live and not live to work.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 13 May 2010 8:32 pm

Oh dear...so far no good...and I know why. Not being technically minded I didn't take the battery out until I googled the whole issue 24 hours after it happened. Now I can see you all going "What ? @#%*&+#@ !"
So don't start with me I feel bad enough. So yeah now it's in pieces and it sat on the warm rear TV vents (on advice from google) keeping nice and warm last night (all the bits of it) and then when that didn't work I put it back in the rice. :cry:
So I live in hope. But I did remember that I have an old 'spare' phone that the rooster gave me when I first did this same trick. So now I have my sim-card in the spare phone so that at least I'm on the radar again and won't have to buy a new one until I get to Germany which might all be a good thing I guess. "Every cloud has a silver lining" :wink: He he, even those nasty Singapore ones!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 13 May 2010 8:40 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:All phones nowadays are more sturdy and compact.
It is just a piece of either phenolic or glass epoxy circuit board with a multiple layer of 8 by 8.
All the components are COB with microprocessor with Digital RAM hence it it not easy to breakdown and a couple of SMD chips unlike it's predecessor using T cap or E cap with stand resistor and component.Very unreliable and fragile
There are only two part that makes it fragile and not work
The screen and the battery contact point for a single face phone. If yours is like the V3 then the flip part contact is a problem too.
Dry the battery first. Make sure it is dry
Take your battery phone and charge it with someone else phone similar to yours. If it can be charged then the battery is fine
Do the opposite with another person's battery with your phone.
from there you can confirm if it is ok or not
Please make sure you dry the phone first b4 you try this.
The contact point of the battery only need millivolt to get started. This area must be dry and the contact is good
It should work as you did not soak it in water. It is just got wet that is all
Hope this helps. good luck !!!
Thanks M.S Gonna check this all out in a day or two after LONG drying time. Should be able to use my own spare phone and its battery etc.
I'm learing a bit from this. I've also learned that my not-so-big umbrella is useless in a Singapore storm. Storms here are a whole new story when you're actually out there caught in it!

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Thu, 13 May 2010 10:13 pm

I wonder if Ozchick is blonde :lol:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Fri, 14 May 2010 7:37 pm

raden888 wrote:I wonder if Ozchick is blonde :lol:
I WISH I were blonde- THEN I'd have an excuse! :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 May 2010 10:51 pm

I think you might have to say "buh-bye" to your phone. The key to saving a wet phone, or any wet device, is rapid response.

Always open up every cover you can. Immediately use things like a hair dryer to heat up internals so that moisture evaporates. Never turn it on until you have tried all drying possibilities.

Otherwise two things happen, maybe three.

a) Moisture remains in the phone when you turn it on and provides short circuit to fry key parts... most likely what happened to you.

b) Moisture left in too long before drying creates corrosion that cuts connectivity... buh bye.

c) Moisture left too long evaporates, leaving deposits that cause shorts.

Given that you have a DOA device, I'd heat it up quite hot, either in a warm oven (about 190 to 200 F) or with a hair dryer.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sat, 15 May 2010 6:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I think you might have to say "buh-bye" to your phone. The key to saving a wet phone, or any wet device, is rapid response.

Always open up every cover you can. Immediately use things like a hair dryer to heat up internals so that moisture evaporates. Never turn it on until you have tried all drying possibilities.
Yeah I've locked that into my tiny brain now. I failed year 9 science at school you know. The report said" Ozchick does not understand the basic principles of science". Yeah well, like I care cos I wasn't into chopping up dead frogs etc. And anway, I'm better at other things :wink: like languages and music and fun stuff!
BUT WAIT FOR THIS. I'd forgotten S.E. about the dead phone cos I was using the spare dinosaur Nokia. So after reading your reply, I went to 'exhume' dead phone from rice-grave and tried it with original components. Nothing happened. But after inserting spare battery from dinosaur phone she lit up like a Christmas tree! Whoo- hoo. It's like Lazarus after a heart transplant!
But of course I feel guilty with reliable old dinosaur phone sitting here with no sim-card and no battery. Ooh she's just an empty shell. :oops:
So now the next thing is to get a new battery. Are they more or less the same cost as a new phone anyway? Can one buy them anywhere other than a phone shop cos unless there's one at H.V. there's none near here. Are there generic batteries or must it be a Nokia? Grateful for advice on this aspect. A wee more learning and I'll be an expert on this phone issue I reckon. :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 15 May 2010 8:57 pm

ozchick wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:I think you might have to say "buh-bye" to your phone. The key to saving a wet phone, or any wet device, is rapid response.

Yeah I've locked that into my tiny brain now. I failed year 9 science at school you know. The report said" Ozchick does not understand the basic principles of science". Yeah well, like I care cos I wasn't into chopping up dead frogs etc. And anway, I'm better at other things :wink: like languages and music and fun stuff!
BUT WAIT FOR THIS. I'd forgotten S.E. about the dead phone cos I was using the spare dinosaur Nokia. So after reading your reply, I went to 'exhume' dead phone from rice-grave and tried it with original components. Nothing happened. But after inserting spare battery from dinosaur phone she lit up like a Christmas tree! Whoo- hoo. It's like Lazarus after a heart transplant!
But of course I feel guilty with reliable old dinosaur phone sitting here with no sim-card and no battery. Ooh she's just an empty shell. :oops:
So now the next thing is to get a new battery. Are they more or less the same cost as a new phone anyway? Can one buy them anywhere other than a phone shop cos unless there's one at H.V. there's none near here. Are there generic batteries or must it be a Nokia? Grateful for advice on this aspect. A wee more learning and I'll be an expert on this phone issue I reckon. :)
Well, Ozchick... if you are ever into a couple of biology lessons, let me know :) My talents cross multiple spectrums.

As far as electrical lessons go, there are 'generic' batteries but they are mostly cheap Chinese knock offs... they'll have high power ratings on the label compared to stock... and actually be worthless. Try dicey shops at Lucky and Sim Lim to get counterfeit stock.

I'd call/visit Nokia service center to get actual price. then visit Nokia dealers at Funan for exact replacement, ie, radar on if you get quoted for high power battery.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 May 2010 10:21 pm

what's wrong then with using dead phone's battery for lazarus phone? i mean, it's not like dead phone's gonna need it and you know it works with lazarus phone anyway?

also, try the sim card; it may still work.
ozchick wrote:

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 16 May 2010 8:02 am

ozchick wrote:

SO Ozchick the phone battery is the issue not the phone. So I am correct .
FYI most battery made in China from the original maker is the correct original one for the phone. Generic one made in Japan are not.
Make sure the NIMH and rating tolerance is the exact one that you have b4 you buy

Good Luck
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!