Singapore Expats

Public Holidays

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
IZY

Public Holidays

Post by IZY » Mon, 31 May 2004 2:06 pm

Can anyone tell me what the OFFICIAL line os on public holidays. By this, I do not mean "what is your opinion" or "what do most of your mates do".

I need to know where to get hold of something official (if it exists) that says that bank holidays occurring on a Saturday are taken in lieu for individuals who work in jobs where Saturday is a non-working day.

As far as I am aware, a workman, say, who usually works on the Saturday will take the bank holiday saturday off, and hence have a day off when he would normally be working. I am being told that, for example, over Christmas (with Christmas day falling on Sat), there will be no holidays.

If the official line is "at the discretion of the company" then can sb direct me to where they heard/read this.

Cheers

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 31 May 2004 11:10 pm

Try the Ministry of Manpower website: http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA

BTW this Wednesday is a Public Holiday - The general rule is if a Public holiday falls on a weekend then you don't get a day off - Saturdays that is as a Saturday is considered a normal working day here... :roll:

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Mon, 31 May 2004 11:18 pm

For Public Holidays in 2004, you can take a look at our page at:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/about-si ... glance.htm
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 01 Jun 2004 9:25 am

Bafana wrote:Try the Ministry of Manpower website: http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA

BTW this Wednesday is a Public Holiday - The general rule is if a Public holiday falls on a weekend then you don't get a day off - Saturdays that is as a Saturday is considered a normal working day here... :roll:
At least my company adds one day to your annual leave if a public holiday falls on a Saturday, and I doubt they do this out of the goodness of their heart...? You might want to check with the MOM.

IZY

Post by IZY » Tue, 01 Jun 2004 3:22 pm

Bafana - thanks for the link - you are bith right and wrong.

See: http://www.mom.gov.sg/MOM/CDA/0,1858,20 ... -1,00.html

"Is an employee entitled to another day off if a public holiday falls on a rest day or non-working day/off day ?
Yes. If the holiday falls on a rest day, the next working day shall be a paid holiday.
If the holiday falls on a non-working day/off day, the employer may decide to compensate the employee with an extra day's pay in lieu of that holiday or give him another day off as a holiday."

The general rule is NOT if a Public holiday falls on a weekend then you don't get a day off - because the MOM site states that bank holidays occurring on Sunday WILL be carried fwd to the Monday as Sundays are officially rest days.

Also, if occurring on a Saturday, you're company is not obliged to give you anything as Saturday is NON-WORKING DAY. It is their option.

Administrator - how did you think that link would answer my question. I could have types "Holidays Singapore" to get that info...

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 8:43 pm

MOM wrote: If the holiday falls on a non-working day/off day, the employer may decide to compensate the employee with an extra day's pay in lieu of that holiday or give him another day off as a holiday."
The above isn't legal text, but my parsing is that if the holiday is on a non-working day, the employer can either give an extra day's pay or another day off -- doing nothing is not an option!
IZY wrote:Also, if occurring on a Saturday, you're company is not obliged to give you anything as Saturday is NON-WORKING DAY. It is their option.
Time to dig up the law in question or give the MOM a ring...