Singapore Expats

Holiday in the Philippines any Ideas?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 08 May 2010 8:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:She married a PAGAN in direct violation of the Advocate Father's admonition here in Singapore. I guess she wouldn't have been a good Muslim as she liked pork! :cool:
Not really a direct violation. A lot of the so-called Catholic practices have their roots in paganism. :)

Blessed be!

-from another Catholic girl
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sat, 08 May 2010 8:44 am

morenangpinay wrote: i wanna see this place..pacita abad's house. :)

i didnt know they have four seasons? really? :) the wuthering heights of the Philippines
When I was in the uni, all the anthropology majors would always have a chance to go to the far north (Batanes) for their field work. I've always wanted to go there. In fact, some of them told me, I can volunteer. However I had to be a good girl and focus on my own coursework (which involved a lot of research, writing and other kind of field work).

@Girl_Next_Door: I first went to Boracay in 2001 when there was no jetty port yet. The boats will try to get as close as to the shore as possible and then we had to wade to the beach. Needless to say, one had to travel very light (use backpacks) and wear shorts. When I went back there 3 years ago, I was surprised to see some people with luggage. Then I saw the jetty port. One can now get to the shore without getting wet. :D

I still love Boracay. There's something magical about that place. But of course, I've been lucky to go during times when there were less people around (right after a major incident of kidnapping of some tourists from Palawan in 2001) or I stayed in a less touristy place (stayed in a more secluded and private place in 2007). :cool:

@raden888: If you really must go to Boracay, try to avoid going there in June. Around May, it's still ok but allot some extra time for weather changes so you can be flexible with your dates of arrival to and departure from the island.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 May 2010 8:54 am

Asian_Geekette wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:She married a PAGAN in direct violation of the Advocate Father's admonition here in Singapore. I guess she wouldn't have been a good Muslim as she liked pork! :cool:
Not really a direct violation. A lot of the so-called Catholic practices have their roots in paganism. :)

Blessed be!

-from another Catholic girl
shouldn't probably say this, but some pagans have their roots in Catholics! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Tue, 11 May 2010 1:48 pm

Hey SMS, trust you to spin a thread!! I think you will be well suited to work for the Singapore Opposition :D

@ Asian Gazzekette , Palawan seems like another interesting place to visit. It has low population density like Batanes. I hate crowds!! Maybe it will be less touristy towards the western half of the archipelago The islands closer to Sabah are rather dodgy with locals nicknaming them 'Abu Sayyaf islands'.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2010 2:01 pm

I spent quite a bit of time on Palawan, both in Puerto Princesa City and in the VN Refugee camp back in the late '80's ~ early '90's (among several other camps throughout the region). I really liked it down there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 May 2010 2:40 pm

* Sulu is really a problem right now; the Abu Sayyaf are now issuing receipts to make sure that you know you only get abducted by authorized Abu Sayyaf agents. They're also offering 20% off on your next ransom if you get abducted again (especially if you're from a Western country).
* raden888: have you considered taking a holiday in a farm, like---oh, I don't know---Hacienda Luisita?

-BA-DUMP-BUMP
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 11 May 2010 11:31 pm

nakatago wrote:* Sulu is really a problem right now; the Abu Sayyaf are now issuing receipts to make sure that you know you only get abducted by authorized Abu Sayyaf agents. They're also offering 20% off on your next ransom if you get abducted again (especially if you're from a Western country).
* raden888: have you considered taking a holiday in a farm, like---oh, I don't know---Hacienda Luisita?

-BA-DUMP-BUMP
lol infairness very funny tags. to be on the safe side, go to sulu when there's a Manny Pacquiao fight. im sure there's a ceasefire. no traffic too

:lol:

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 12 May 2010 12:21 am

nakatago wrote:* Sulu is really a problem right now; the Abu Sayyaf are now issuing receipts to make sure that you know you only get abducted by authorized Abu Sayyaf agents. They're also offering 20% off on your next ransom if you get abducted again (especially if you're from a Western country).
Thanks for the tip on the farm but don't think I want to enrich the Aquinos any further.:wink:

Sweet, even the Abu Sayyaf is having sales..Does it make any difference if you speak Sulug?
morenangpinay wrote:*lol infairness very funny tags. to be on the safe side, go to sulu when there's a Manny Pacquiao fight. im sure there's a ceasefire. no traffic too .
Manny is now a senator so too is Imelda :???:

Palawan does look nice though!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 12 May 2010 12:55 am

raden888 wrote:

Palawan does look nice though!
Congresscritters actually.

Yes, palawan is nice. Probably be going there myself.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 12 May 2010 4:10 am

nakatago wrote:
raden888 wrote:
You can't keep a "good" woman down! :twisted:

Wonder what songs are in her repertoire this time around to woo her voters. :roll:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE DANGEROUS…

The world’s best boxer, a woman with 3,000 pairs of shoes, military rebels and an alleged mass-murderer are among the characters contesting more than 17,000 positions in the May 10 Philippine elections. Here are some of the interesting personalities out for votes and an ego boost:

BENIGNO AQUINO, 50. According to opinion polls, the balding bachelor is set to win the presidential contest by a landslide.

MANUEL VILLAR, 60. The self-made property developer (above middle) is one of Aquino’s main rivals. But his popularity has plunged amid allegations he used his posts in parliament to enrich himself.

GLORIA ARROYO, 63. The president for the past nine years is seeking a seat in the House of Representatives in what her critics allege is part of a bid to eventually return to power as prime minister.

MANNY PACQUIAO, 31. The seven-time world boxing champion is seeking a Lower House seat three years after being knocked out in a similar attempt.

JOSEPH ESTRADA, 73. Estrada (top right) gained popularity as a film actor, playing the lead role in over 100 films. He leveraged his popularity to make gains in politics. Became president in 1998, but was ousted in 2001 over corruption allegations.

ANDAL AMPATUAN SNR, 65. The head of a powerful Muslim clan is running for vice governor of Maguindanao province while in jail with his sons awaiting trial for the murders of 57 people in an election-linked massacre last year.

IMELDA MARCOS, 80. The ex-first lady left 3,000 pairs of shoes when she fled Malacanang palace during a popular revolt that toppled her husband, Ferdinand. She’s standing for a Lower House seat partly to win redemption.

courtesy: http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... 20election
One man's meat is another's poison.

matthusky9

Post by matthusky9 » Wed, 12 May 2010 10:15 am

I went on this awesome trip to Ariel's Point with fantastic cliff divining & jumping last month! Enjoyed swimming, snorkeling and exploring the Nature's Beauty of this vibrant land of Paradise! Some people were just sunning or resting in the shade of the flourishing gardens. Tasty huge barbeque buffet and unlimited drinks were included ;) I lived an unforgettable, memorable experience and had lots of Fun in Boracay Island

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 12 May 2010 2:50 pm

raden888 wrote: @ Asian Gazzekette , Palawan seems like another interesting place to visit. It has low population density like Batanes. I hate crowds!! Maybe it will be less touristy towards the western half of the archipelago The islands closer to Sabah are rather dodgy with locals nicknaming them 'Abu Sayyaf islands'.
@raden888: If you're thinking of Palawan, just make sure you have plenty of anti-mossie (mosquito) spray and use it liberally on your skin.

It's Asian Geekette - not Gazzekette! I don't know where you got the Gazzekette from. :roll: :shock:

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 12 May 2010 3:04 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
nakatago wrote:
raden888 wrote:
You can't keep a "good" woman down! :twisted:

Wonder what songs are in her repertoire this time around to woo her voters. :roll:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Songs? How about this new CD? Here Lies Love by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim :shock:
I saw it in amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Here-Lies-Love-Da ... 142&sr=8-3

Seriously, most people don't remember their history. Though I'm a martial law baby (nickname for kids born during the martial law years), I remember growing up in an area which was a notorious dumping ground for "salvage" victims (otherwise known as desaparecidos in other countries). I remember having our school bus taking a detour since the driver didn't want us kids to see the crowds around the police blockage. I remember trying to desperately listen into the adults' hushed conversations about the latest "salvage" victim. I remember feeling scared that people can just disappear for opposing the dictator.

It's sad that people can easily forget... I know as a Catholic, I'm supposed to forgive and forget. But call me a crazy Catholic, I won't forget about those poor people who died.

Now back to regular comedy central... :P

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Wed, 12 May 2010 8:49 pm

My Bad Asian_Geekette! Palawan does look like a keeper and been reading about the mozzies , Baygon will do the trick.

Quite amusing to see that Westerners are still traveling to Mindanao if they get kidnapped then its nobody's fault but theirs.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 13 May 2010 9:59 am

raden888 wrote: Quite amusing to see that Westerners are still traveling to Mindanao if they get kidnapped then its nobody's fault but theirs.
I go to Mindanao every month, no problem at all . . . it really depends where as it is a big island

'nuff said Image