Singapore Expats

What do you do when you get homesick?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: What do you do when you get homesick?

Post by ozchick » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:09 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:And "fly home" is not a smart answer! I've got the blues and I'm starting to miss home a bit and am sure this happens to a lot of other people too. So any tips on dealing with "homesickness" anyone? ;)
So where's 'home' if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I should visit that wonderful place! Jeezaloo it could be Oz! :o
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:35 pm

ozchick wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:And "fly home" is not a smart answer! I've got the blues and I'm starting to miss home a bit and am sure this happens to a lot of other people too. So any tips on dealing with "homesickness" anyone? ;)
So where's 'home' if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I should visit that wonderful place! Jeezaloo it could be Oz! :o
I'm not sure how "traditional dress" would translate in Oz. Stubbies maybe?

I'm guessing from the sub-continent.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sun, 09 May 2010 7:41 pm

ozchick wrote:

Its actually ironic, this homesick feeling cause I've pretty much lived away from "home" (my parent's place) after I got out of High School. Lived in 3 cities since and don't remember missing home too much.

To answer your question, home for me is India, and I never worried about the politicians, the weather and other events beyond my control even when I was there. I miss my family and friends a lot though. I get along with the locals here pretty fine but I'm yet to make "friends".

Also, at work I've come to realise that I need to word my statements carefully. There've been times when people just don't "get" my humour or they don't understand an idiomatic phrase or something, and its kind of stressful for me, although an interesting learning experience!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 09 May 2010 8:57 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
ozchick wrote:

Its actually ironic, this homesick feeling cause I've pretty much lived away from "home" (my parent's place) after I got out of High School. Lived in 3 cities since and don't remember missing home too much.

To answer your question, home for me is India, and I never worried about the politicians, the weather and other events beyond my control even when I was there. I miss my family and friends a lot though. I get along with the locals here pretty fine but I'm yet to make "friends".

Also, at work I've come to realise that I need to word my statements carefully. There've been times when people just don't "get" my humour or they don't understand an idiomatic phrase or something, and its kind of stressful for me, although an interesting learning experience!
You are well on your way to being cured, because you now realise your problem here!
I get along with the locals here pretty fine but I'm yet to make "friends
people just don't "get" my humour or they don't understand an idiomatic phrase or something
I would suggest joining in with some of the expats, break the ice in your own tempo, that may or may not be a challenge for you, depending on your character. I'm mostly an extrovert for example, though i have my moments when i want piece and quite, I'm lucky to meet others once every 3 months or so, though family and work take most of my time.

These little tests in life, are again part of building ones character and confidence, I'm sure there are plenty of friends out there just choose them carefully and wisely. Keep an eye open for events and make that first step. Make sure you meet a gp of people to be on the safe side until you get to know people. Singapore may appear safe, but their are predators around.

You could maybe invite one or two females out, to a movie or something.
At lest you now know why you are homesick, so don't leave too long to take the initiative, otherwise depression will take hold.

Read this it may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homesickness

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:07 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
ozchick wrote:

This probably isn't exactly the same, but not long ago I asked my father whether he wanted to move to Singapore if the opportunity came up, and all his expenses were covered.

He replied with an answer I didn't expect... "but they're all asians there"... This was a surprise, because I know my dad isn't racist, and many of the suburbs he tends to shop back in Australia have a high Chinese/Vietnamese population.

I pointed out the apparent contradiction to him, as well as the fact that he doesn't really socialize much these days apart from with family, so what difference would his geographic location really make?

His reply was, "I just wont feel at home if I am always surrounded by Asians everywhere I go. I'll be the foreigner. Here in Australia there is a mix of nationalities and I'll at least see white people wherever I go"

So, essentially for him.. it's a sense of "belonging" that's the issue.

The flip-side of this, is I see the opposite happen when friends of mine, who are, say, Greek, Italian, Korean, Chinese.... and have lived away from their country of birth for most or all of their lives (or their parents country, if they were born abroad), and suddenly visit. There's a 'connection' they always talk about - a feeling of belonging to something much bigger, even if it's the first time stepping foot in the country.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Mon, 10 May 2010 12:24 pm

I usually just have some kind of food from home or something like that. I'm from the UK and so I'll make toad-in-the-hole or a roast dinner (something nice and stodgy like that!) and that usually does the trick.

With all the election stuff going on there right now, I'm not missing it at all though - all the friends and family at home are totally fed up with it too.

If you're from India, is there a nice restaurant here that you can visit that might help to keep you happy? Try and meet up with some of the people who are always organising events on this forum - there are always new people keen to make friends.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Mon, 10 May 2010 1:39 pm

KSL i have to take my hat off to you, your posts are so insightful! it really shows your intelligence and understanding of life. What religion do you follow if i may ask?

Intellectualmuse - i have stopped feeling homesick but it took me about 4 yrs. I think it's knowing that this is not permanent, we are only here to experience life in another country and that there are positives and negatives where ever we go. We just make the most of whatever life throws at us and really go out there and try and make new friends and do different things. Though i completely agree with you, it's finding people that can understand what we mean on a much deeper level. I find a lot of people i meet here are really good when it comes to talking about $, but not too good when it comes to for eg. what plans they have in life to achieve self actualisation.

Chin up, smile and make the most of each day.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 10 May 2010 3:43 pm

KSL i have to take my hat off to you, your posts are so insightful! it really shows your intelligence and understanding of life. What religion do you follow if i may ask?
I'm actually christened a Catholic, though I have never practised religion, I do believe in one god, one creator with many different names, so all religions are of interest to me, in understanding faith, people and most of all myself.

I have not the need or the desire to be a regular visitor of church and/or temples, has my faith in all religions keeps me strong, though i am influenced by buddhism and the readings of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramahansa_Yogananda

Mostly because of my own life experiences of living on the edge of many different cultures that self realisation and understanding became important to me.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 11 May 2010 5:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ozchick wrote:
I'm not sure how "traditional dress" would translate in Oz. Stubbies maybe?

I'm guessing from the sub-continent.
:oops: Oh yeah....I did read that too. Then again if I had nothing else to do like 'certain' people I know on here, I'd be able to focus on it too! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 11 May 2010 6:25 pm

http://www.worldweave.com/procon.htm

Maybe some advice in this link on global nomads. Not that I'm one. It's a while since I've read it. But it does remind us of the benefits of being away from home, in case one has forgotten them! :)

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Wed, 12 May 2010 3:11 am

ksl wrote:i am influenced by buddhism and the readings of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramahansa_Yogananda
You and me both, KSL.

Interesting link, Ozzie. Just sent it off to my son.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 12 May 2010 5:34 am

intellectualsmuse

Home is where the heart is. You have to go out and meet the local halfway or else is all doom and gloom for you in SG
I have lived in part of India, 9 months in Arakere Gate ,Bangalore, 6 months in Kerala, 5 months in Kuc Ahmedabad and last one is in Old Madras.
Sitting in the open eating Nan with the workers from the clay oven cook right in front of you is unique. I was the only half white/asian boy makes me stand out like a beacon but they never dislike me in fact they were honoured that I eat with them. I bring myself to their level and feel how they feel and they talk the normal things in life like everyone of us do.
Very unique experience.
Every society has its own unique culture, the good and the bad.Just enjoy it while you are there and you will not feel any regrets once you leave the country.

No country is perfect. In SG , Indian population is quite substantial in number hence there are avenues you can let yourself down.
Don't put yourself in a box ,relax and enjoy life while you can

MS :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 May 2010 8:19 am

Only time I've felt homesick was when I was back in UK for Christmas. Couldn't wait to leave and get back to Singapore which I now call home.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 15 May 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm getting on better now. Have asked my parents to come visit us for some days and they said they would plan a trip. All I need now is a hug from my mom :)
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Joreal

Post by Joreal » Mon, 17 May 2010 5:32 pm

video talks and phone calls whenever i feel homesick.