Singapore Expats

PR Interview

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rmsuleman

PR Interview

Post by rmsuleman » Mon, 10 May 2010 1:43 am

Chaps,
I moved to Singapore in April 2007 on a Q1 pass to work in the financial services industry. I left that job in Sept 08, surrendered my Q1 pass and went home for a holiday. Subsequently, I came back in Jan 09 on a P2 pass and applied for Singapore PR on March 19 2009. My contract ended on March 31st 2010 so by virtue of that, I was required to surrendered my P2 pass. I am now on a social pass. However, ICA has called me for an interview next week in regards to my PR application. Can you please share some thoughts on what to expect in the interview? Appreciate it.

Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:11 am

Did you inform ICA regarding your PR application that you no longer have a job here?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rmsuleman

Post by rmsuleman » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:51 am

No I haven't.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2010 11:14 am

As you are supposed to notify ICA if anything relevant changes on your application, the odds are not in your favour I don't believe. However, stranger things have happened. If your interview is already scheduled, you might be able to get away without the notification and once you've gotten the PR, you are home free anyway.

But be prepared for the worst case scenario.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rmsuleman

Post by rmsuleman » Mon, 10 May 2010 11:20 am

Sorry, should have been clear earlier. I have made a few trips to ICA and they know that my EP was cancelled on March 31 and MoM kindly allowed me to stay here till April 30th. I applied for a social pass and gave them a copy of the letter that I received from ICA regarding interview. So as per ICA is concerned, they know my status. Whether the relevant PR dept know about this, is a mystery to me!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2010 11:56 am

Odds are you should be okay then, but as I said before, just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. If the interview has not been canceled then you should be okay cause it's not really an interview as much as it is a finalization of procedures to get you your blue NRIC.

Have a read of this thread.....

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra3 ... iew#356899

rmsuleman

Post by rmsuleman » Mon, 10 May 2010 11:59 am

Cheers for the prompt responses! Will let you know how it goes. May I invite you for drinks pls? :)

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Mon, 10 May 2010 4:36 pm

Oh, rmsuleman, that is very discouraging. You are being interviewed after 16 months :(

I too in P2 pass. My pass will also expire in October.

By the way it is said that the slow in the process is due to the campaign by opposition against immigration. It is said this will continue until election. That means until 2012 ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2010 5:10 pm

Why is it discouraging? At least some are still being given PR.

The election will probably be in the latter part of this year as they have already redrawn the electoral boundaries and usually that happen no further than 6 months before elections.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with the opposition at all. Not sure where you are getting your information from. The problem is not the opposition but the average man-on-the-street's belief that Foreigners are taking away Singaporean's jobs. And frankly, due to very lax interpretation of the rules over the past 10 years or so, that's exactly what's been happening. So much so that there is now 1 foreigner here for every 3 Singaporeans. As there are elections coming up, the PAP needs to give face to the population if they want to keep a backlash vote from happening (the voting for the opposition would not be a vote for the opposition as much as a vote against the ruling party - not quite the same thing as you are saying). Frankly, it's about time considering the PR abusers that we have observed in recent years. I say it's about time to get back stringent vetting of applicants.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Mon, 10 May 2010 11:14 pm

Ahhhh... nothing have changed... almost 2 years, and first thing I see when I'm back here is SMS with his gripes on PR abusers :D :D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:32 am

:tongue:

But it's not just me anymore. :P

Welcome back, it has been awhile but not two years! only around 13 months!

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:59 am

Tx... It feels like 2 years, so I must be missing the site :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 11 May 2010 1:05 am

rmsuleman wrote:Sorry, should have been clear earlier. I have made a few trips to ICA and they know that my EP was cancelled on March 31 and MoM kindly allowed me to stay here till April 30th. I applied for a social pass and gave them a copy of the letter that I received from ICA regarding interview. So as per ICA is concerned, they know my status. Whether the relevant PR dept know about this, is a mystery to me!
If you have been called for a meeting you are more than 75% in the door, don't blow it, be positive that you have no problem finding work, only if they bring it up....Play on your kids future if you have any, there is a shortage here, so say you want to have more kids in a stable environment :wink: