Singapore Expats

Total Cost for Maid / FDW / Helper

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
KindClare

Total Cost for Maid / FDW / Helper

Post by KindClare » Tue, 04 May 2010 8:43 pm

I have searched the forum for the answer and found loads of threads about maids, but not much about the total cost. What I know is there is
1) a monthly wage ranging from 400 - 600+ depending on experience
2) a fee to the gov't?? how much?? per month??
3) extras such as trip home? medical care, other?
4) also read something about a course you must take to employ FDW?

I'm trying to work out the total cost per month or year of having a live-in helper.

Thanks!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Wed, 05 May 2010 11:38 am

1) Yes, 4-6 seems the going rate.
2) S$267 per month, deducted from your bank account
3) We took out medical insurance through the agency. We give ours one trip home a year but her contract says once every 2 years (which we didn't think was enough).
4) Compulsory course which can be taken online. You need to get registered first - see MOM website for details.

tigerlily2010

Post by tigerlily2010 » Fri, 07 May 2010 8:50 pm

does the 400-600 wage mark includes food allowance or you hace to add this on top.
also can you please advise roughly cost for the medical insurance?

i am moving to singapore next month and i am trying to work the cost out too.

thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 May 2010 9:11 pm

Allow yourself $950-1000/mo just to be on the safe side and you should be right, this should cover all the costs & incidental costs (assuming here that you plan on only paying your maid the bare minimum as required by law or just ever so slightly above that).

Of course you can opt for a Sri Lankan Maid and reduce your costs by around 200/mo.

This does not, of course, take into consideration the cost of replacement of, clothes that have been scorched while ironing, dishes broken, or special foods eaten, or phone bills back to the relatives.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 09 May 2010 2:35 pm

Medical insurance isn't much. About $200-300 for 26 months. NTUC will sort that over the phone for you, as well as a guarantee (instead of the bond) and insurance on it, so if she runs away or gets pregnant your liability is reduced to $250 or something like that. Doctor's bills are not covered by insurance. But to be honest, I've probably only spent $100 or so on those a year.

I agree with SMS: allow $900-1000 a month.

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 09 May 2010 4:47 pm

"Food allowance"?? We don't do that. Our maid eats what we eat, if we're out she'll have something simple (her choice - I've told her she can have whatever's in the fridge which is usually more than substantial)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:26 pm

But, if you think about it, you like to eat, occasionally, the same types of foods you enjoyed back home. They also enjoy eating their own style of foods as well. So this usually add an additional cost as, for sure, the maid is welcome to eat the same things you do, but you may not like her preferred diet. It does make for a happier relationship when they know that they do not have to eat bland western foods because that's all Ma'am will eat.

:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tigerlily2010

Post by tigerlily2010 » Sun, 09 May 2010 7:26 pm

[quote="k1w1"] a guarantee (instead of the bond) and insurance on it, so if she runs away or gets pregnant your liability is reduced to $250 or something like that.

thanks a lot with all your advises. Can you please explain to me what is the garantee for? Why should i be liable if she runs away or get pregnant?...sorry we do not have anything similar to this in HK.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 May 2010 7:43 pm

Because that's the law here in Singapore. No other reason.

First mistake. This is not Hong Kong. It would be good to remember that. :wink:

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Mon, 10 May 2010 1:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But, if you think about it, you like to eat, occasionally, the same types of foods you enjoyed back home. They also enjoy eating their own style of foods as well. So this usually add an additional cost as, for sure, the maid is welcome to eat the same things you do, but you may not like her preferred diet. It does make for a happier relationship when they know that they do not have to eat bland western foods because that's all Ma'am will eat.

:wink:
While I can see what you are saying - we actually eat Asian food 80% of the time (we lived in Japan for 14 years before coming here) and we always discuss what the evening meal will be. If she (and it's very rare) doesn't want what we're having she'll ask if she can cook herself something else. This has happened twice in the one year she has worked for us!