Singapore Expats

Looking for places with good crabs and seafood

Share your favourite eating haunts!
disagreement

Looking for places with good crabs and seafood

Post by disagreement » Fri, 07 May 2010 2:08 am

Hi all, I plan to organise a birthday gathering for one of my close buddy. He loves seafood by nature and crabs are his favourites. So I am sourcing for places in Singapore that serve good seafood and crabs. Any recommendations to offer? Currently I am looking into Famous Crab King Seafood Restaurant Pte Ltd. Prices are quite reasonable in my opinion. Anyone tried the food from there before? Or are there other places with better seafood and crabs?

Found this interesting
http://www.withinus.net16.net/

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 07 May 2010 2:15 am

There's a place in East Coast Park which is pretty famous, it might even be the same one that's in Clarke Quay next to the Swissotel Merchant Court.

There are a couple of good places, from Jumbo Seafood to No Signboard to Red House or something like that. Just pick a location you like..

klitz
Regular
Regular

Post by klitz » Fri, 07 May 2010 10:20 am

you can try long beach at dempsey.

yu jie

Post by yu jie » Sat, 08 May 2010 10:07 pm

I like no signboard seafood! hehe, it's a restaurant name.

mungbeans

Post by mungbeans » Sun, 09 May 2010 9:57 am

Or you can always try Newton Center. Conveniently open 'till sunrise.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 09 May 2010 10:26 am

Never liked Newton. It remains the only food court in Singapore that I have walked into... and then straight back out.

yu jie

Post by yu jie » Sun, 09 May 2010 11:16 am

Newton center is really not good, I have tried twice!

Expensive and seafoods just so so!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 09 May 2010 5:23 pm

yu jie wrote:Newton center is really not good, I have tried twice!

Expensive and seafoods just so so!
Disagree, have had several (4 or 5) excellent meals there....If you walked straight out again then you missed out! More value than a lot of tourist places, fun atmosphere - and delicious seafood! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 May 2010 6:30 pm

I've eaten at Newton off and on for the past 28 years at both the old and the new and I've NEVER been impressed with the seafood. I've been astounded by the prices though and depressed by the touting. Any pleasure derived from the food was consumed by the touts. Nah. You can have it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 09 May 2010 7:16 pm

Good few years ago we had the best jumbo prawns ever in Newton and typically stingray and squid rings were also pretty good. We tried the prawns later over there few more time but did not manage to get anything really impressive except for the price. Also for last two visits one before and one after the renovation practically every seafood we ordered was below awarage. Looks like it gets more and more touristic and the quality goes down. Same happened IMHO already few yeras ago with Lau Pa Sat.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 09 May 2010 10:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been astounded by the prices though and depressed by the touting. Any pleasure derived from the food was consumed by the touts. Nah. You can have it.
That's exactly what put me off. Going on vacation to Egypt a few times you really get used to the touting and learn to deal with it quickly. You don't really have much choice as a Westerner, it quickly becomes just a part of walking down the street in Sharm El Sheikh or elsewhere... Yes they are going to invite you into their stores, etc., just smile and say thanks and move on. :)

But Newton had this annoying side to it that I haven't come across elsewhere in Singapore, like hyenas instantly eyeing you out and yapping away to dissuade you from checking out all the stalls first, telling you that "this is not shopping", etc. I continued to make my circle and then walked out, just as the hyenas thought that I was going to order with them...

wazzup

Post by wazzup » Mon, 10 May 2010 12:15 pm

i had a nice cream butter crab at a restaurant in Defu lane. have to make reservations cause it's always full there.

berkshire_yorkie

Post by berkshire_yorkie » Mon, 10 May 2010 6:43 pm

Wouldn't go to Newton Court for Seafood. Best places are east Coast; Jumbo is ok but I think it's a bit pricey. There's 3/4 other nearby all similar menu and price to Jumbo. No Signboard I like v much and there's a great place on Still Road can't remember name, but they stop serving at 7pm and you can't book tables and there's usually a queue 'cos it v popular - so not a party venue :roll: . But their chilli crab and Black pepper crab are tops and I recommend you try on another occasion.
Never regret anything that made you smile

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Tue, 11 May 2010 7:04 am

aster wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been astounded by the prices though and depressed by the touting. Any pleasure derived from the food was consumed by the touts. Nah. You can have it.
That's exactly what put me off. Going on vacation to Egypt a few times you really get used to the touting and learn to deal with it quickly. You don't really have much choice as a Westerner, it quickly becomes just a part of walking down the street in Sharm El Sheikh or elsewhere... Yes they are going to invite you into their stores, etc., just smile and say thanks and move on. :)

But Newton had this annoying side to it that I haven't come across elsewhere in Singapore, like hyenas instantly eyeing you out and yapping away to dissuade you from checking out all the stalls first, telling you that "this is not shopping", etc. I continued to make my circle and then walked out, just as the hyenas thought that I was going to order with them...
That's so strange, at Newton I've had people approach me and all I said (smiling) was "no thanks I want to look around first" and they said things like "OK, of course you go and check! Then you come back!" (said with a laugh). Anyhoo, I do like going there now and again and I know several other people who go regularly too. BUT any of the big names - Jumbo, Red House, Long Beach et al - will give a great seafood meal....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2010 7:09 am

Sooooo, anybody wanting good service, low/no touting and a subjectively good seafood meal should ensure that this will happen by inviting Missis along, as it would seem, only a select few can sooth the savage tout! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers