Singapore Expats

EMBA program

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Big Mac
Regular
Regular

EMBA program

Post by Big Mac » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:53 am

Not sure if this topic has been discussed previously as i cant seem to find a thread on it. So apologies in advance if it has.

I am contemplating the possibility of doing further studies (why put myself through hell again - i don't know) but anyway was wondering if anyone has any insights into EMBA programs. I know INSEAD runs a sg - europe or sg - ME program but i don't really want to entertain the idea of spending 8 wks overseas completing the second half of the program. NUS seems to to be the other logical choice as it seems to have a decent reputation. Any insights would be much appreciated.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:16 am

Consider where you want to work and why you want to do the course.

If it is just for the technical knowledge about management, then the NUS course would be fine.

If you only want to work in Singapore, then the NUS course is all you need.

If you want to work internationally in Europe, US and Asia, then the INSEAD programme has better recognition, and alumni in better positions internationally. This gives you a better network to use throughout your career.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 1:12 pm

Is there a program you can do remotely without having to attend classes for several weeks somewhere?

Big Mac
Regular
Regular

Post by Big Mac » Wed, 05 May 2010 4:59 am

god it feels good to be back in oz!!

Well as i stated below, INSEAD is pretty much ruled out because i just dont want to entertain the idea of spending 8 wks overseas especially when 1 of those is gonna be in the middle east again!

NUS MBA apparently has a very high rep in asia and i believe ranked in the top 10 in the world. Was more wondering if there are other institutions i have missed out on

@aster - i am sure there are classes you can do remotely. There are alot of uni's that now offer this, however as to the quality of the program or the reputation of the institution, i would not have any idea

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:57 am

Hi Aster

I am doing a MBA program remotely with an Australian University. Not sure whether this is something you are interested in.

Just another question, why are considering an EMBA and not MBA?

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Thu, 06 May 2010 6:00 am

University of Chicago's Booth School of Business has an MBA programme in town here. You see them out drinking at the pub in their matching burgandy t-shirts! ;)

If you are a PR, then the govt has a nice scheme if you are working for a "successful" SME. You can study an MBA at one of the local unis, and get a 90% subsidy for studying part-time or 70% subsidy for studying full-time. The devil is in the details of whether your company is acceptable. It is worth a shot though. It is the Management Development Scholarship.

http://www.spring.gov.sg/ENTERPRISEINDU ... t-mds.aspx

Big Mac
Regular
Regular

Post by Big Mac » Thu, 06 May 2010 6:16 pm

amiee40 wrote:
Is this question directed at me Amiee40 or at Aster?

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Sat, 08 May 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry, directed at you Big Mac

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 08 May 2010 6:20 pm

amiee40 wrote:Hi Aster

I am doing a MBA program remotely with an Australian University. Not sure whether this is something you are interested in.

Hi,

Actually considering a MBA, hopefully remotely like you are doing. Which university are you doing yours with?

Does NUS offer one (remotely) without too many classes to attend?

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Sun, 09 May 2010 12:20 pm

I have been considering a MBA for a few months now. At the moment I am swaying more towards a CFA - maybe

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 09 May 2010 8:21 pm

You need to evaluate opportunity cost before doing an MBA! You may lose more than you can gain, MBA's a 10 a penny, so you need to be able to deliver what is required in a result orientated position, if you don't shine, your out ASAP! So i would suggest looking closely at your strengths & weaknesses.

Example would be your negotiating skills, and management if you are limited in this area, what good are you. If I myself have to keep doing the negotiating because one lacks the skill and confidence there is not much chance that i would keep them on, unless it showed in the increased revenue and profits...practical experience far out weighs academic performance in reality for many.

So you need to be exceptionally good in most areas of business, to get the highest paid jobs...I would say at least 8 to 10 years work experience before considering paying out the fees...and even then if you are too weak in certain areas, you are doomed. Just my 10 cents

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Sun, 09 May 2010 8:48 pm

aster wrote:
amiee40 wrote:Hi Aster

Hi,

Actually considering a MBA, hopefully remotely like you are doing. Which university are you doing yours with?

Does NUS offer one (remotely) without too many classes to attend?
Hi Aster

I am doing the off-campus program with Deakin University in Australia. Assignment groups are usually online groups, lectures you can download so that you can listen to them in your own time and exams are based in Singapore. Textbooks can be ordered through online bookshop. Doing my last unit this trimester, so far no complaints.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 09 May 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Amiee, thanks for the info. How much of your time does it actually take up? Do you know the exam dates well ahead of time, are they extremely tough so if you don't dig through all the reading material then you are toast?

I take it a dissertation is also needed to complete the degree?

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:54 am

Hi Aster

It is recommended that each unit should take up 10hrs per week. Depending on the units/majors, some units are easier.

There is a hurdle requirement on the exams, if you don't pass 50% of the exam then you will fail regardless of the overall mark (incl assignments).

No dissertation required at the end. The program consists of 12 units, core and elective units. There is a residential unit option, where you attend the Geelong campus in Aust, attend a seminar and give a presentation at the end for credits. Look at the Deakin's website, you may be eligible for exemptions if you have certain qualifications.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 11 May 2010 1:58 am

Looking at the courses I think I might opt for a marketing degree instead. I'm also open to universities of various countries as long as the MA program can be done online, from Singapore.

I take it you're very satisfied with Deakin University?

Does anyone know of any decent UK/US/other universities with good remote programs?