Singapore Expats

Rules of Usage of "Strictly Speaking"

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Rules of Usage of "Strictly Speaking"

Post by Pal » Tue, 16 May 2006 12:52 am

This forum is for serious discussions only. Any topic may be discussed within reason. As this is a Moderated Forum, Moderators or Admin will ensure that decorum is maintained. Posts digressing off tangent from the thread topic will be unceremoniously deleted or moved to the Jokes, Rubbish Forum. Whinging will be allowed in the regular discussion board about the Nazi Moderators but not in this Forum. :wink:

Light discussions that subsequently turn serious can, by request, be moved to this Forum for further discussion.

Regards,

Admin & Mod team

anneteoh

Re: Rules of Usage of "Strictly Speaking"

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 06 May 2010 6:34 pm

Pal wrote:This forum is for serious discussions only. Any topic may be discussed within reason. As this is a Moderated Forum, Moderators or Admin will ensure that decorum is maintained. Posts digressing off tangent from the thread topic will be unceremoniously deleted or moved to the Jokes, Rubbish Forum. Whinging will be allowed in the regular discussion board about the Nazi Moderators but not in this Forum. :wink:

Light discussions that subsequently turn serious can, by request, be moved to this Forum for further discussion.

Regards,

Admin & Mod team
Thank you for making it all explicit. But do people's threads need to be so strictly categorized? When people engage in conversations, they use language in various ways to create an impact. Is it always possble to categorise talk - even in formal debates, we crack jokes to amuse, entertain or persuade. Can't you just leave them to grow orgianically in their cells?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 May 2010 8:31 pm

It's worked okay for us for 4 years so you know the old saw, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". And, as you can see, it's well used and has worked very well for us.

If we want digressions, hijacked threads, etc. We have all the other threads for that, and if it really gets bad they get shunted off to the Rubbish forum. But, it's very, very rare that we delete them unless it is advertising, soliciting (same thing actually), tending to incite racial feelings, or just plain unsuitable for general readership - language primarily.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 06 May 2010 11:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's worked okay for us for 4 years so you know the old saw, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". And, as you can see, it's well used and has worked very well for us.
Indeed. A sensible proverb and I do think this forum is one of the most dynamic. It has the Singapore cutting edge drive. All's well...