Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
~Just Me~

Post by ~Just Me~ » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 2:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi just fren.. just wanted to know how they bullied her? and did she made any mistakes? is that her first flight after training or in the training session? I will have my first flight soon, and kinda surprised... please let me know thanks
Well it was her first flight out after 4 mths of training.I dun know if she did any mistakes but if she did, they dun have to be sarcastic!Give her a break!she is new..they should understand it better..she claims they tend to be bossy and stick to their own clan instead of welcoming the newbies on board...how typical bimbos aren't they??They should reflect on themselves when they first started..if they were treated badly,they shouldn't do the same to others..We all have feelings..shessh!

grace

Post by grace » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 3:21 pm

~Just Me~ wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hi just fren.. just wanted to know how they bullied her? and did she made any mistakes? is that her first flight after training or in the training session? I will have my first flight soon, and kinda surprised... please let me know thanks
Well it was her first flight out after 4 mths of training.I dun know if she did any mistakes but if she did, they dun have to be sarcastic!Give her a break!she is new..they should understand it better..she claims they tend to be bossy and stick to their own clan instead of welcoming the newbies on board...how typical bimbos aren't they??They should reflect on themselves when they first started..if they were treated badly,they shouldn't do the same to others..We all have feelings..shessh!
hi,

yup, this is the culture of SIA. the seniors tend to bully or they called it 'zapping' of the juniors. they have the Seniors, Juniors thing within their culture. the juniors are to be submissive to the seniors, do what they told u to do.

my friend joined SIA four years ago and was always complaining that the seniors always bully the juniors, esp. those in probation. but it also depends on what kind of a crews u get on your flights. there are some who are nice people, very helpful towards juniors, whereas some are really snobbish, bossy and some are nice to you but stab u in the back.

and if u immerse yourself in the culture too long, u will tend to become like one of them. so when u are consider not a junior, but a senior, u will also tend to be like one of them, bullying the juniors and getting impatient with them. it is the cultural thing in SIA. u got to be able to not be suck into the culture and be like one of them, bullying the juniors when u become senior and stay in your own group, not mixing with the newbies.

my friend quit after her contract of 18 mths ends, coz she doesn't want to become like one of them (snobbish and bossy) and be like bimbos. but my friend did met some really nice crews and have a good time with them. while another friend quit after her bond ends.

so, i guess it all depends on your luck what kind of crew members u got and ur character if it is easily sway and become like one of those snobbish crew member.

user1

the minimum height

Post by user1 » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 4:56 pm

does anyone know if ppl of height 1.56 - 1.57m able to get in as sia Stewardess? :?:

~Just Me~

Post by ~Just Me~ » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 5:47 pm

How political..worst still if u are on a long haul flight..where can u escape from these bimbos??Seriously,it all depends on each individual.If u are a person with morale and kind by nature,no matter how pple ard u could be an influence,u'll still stick to u being ureself.
Really wonder..how these pple can be mean to their own crew on board and be nice to the passengers.Split personality??
And why does it seem that pple tend to see working as a cabin crew is a glamourous job when it's not??Really wonder y pple with a degree would want to waste their time on this waitressin job in the air when they could start a life long career on land??so weird isn't it??

Post by Guest » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 7:13 pm

cant be more than agree with u bout the split personality that happen and how come all the senior cabin crew can said that it is culture.. why they have to keep this bad culture while they can just change it. I wonder all the people who see this job as glamorous job know about this, well.. if they knew, i think they wouldnt even think to work for SIA.. i wonder if all airlines company is like this.

I think SIA got to do something before this thing will affect the good name of this airlines.. where they will judge SIA having cabin crew who has split personality and hate them because they're smiling in the front but they :evil: inside.

:shock:

lavine

Post by lavine » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 8:47 pm

Maybe the first few flights are always tougher because the newbies are checking the old crew out and have to get used to serving the passengers. The old crew are also checking out the newbies. I think the old crew will feel threathened cos there's a constant fear of losing their seniority...And if there's a really pretty new crew, the feelings will be stronger...

Pls dun punch me for this.. I'm not a cabin crew but this is how I feel.. :D

But I used to work in a restaurant during my sch vacations and the manager is an EX-SIA cabin crew. He's been with the airline for over 10 years and he's really really fair to all staff, regardless of whether you're new or an old bird. If you do something wrong, you still get the same lecture... So I think the mean crew vs. nice crew thing is really subjective and not hiding from it..

Good luck to all those suffering!

KKL

Re: Questions

Post by KKL » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 9:49 pm

shoegal wrote:
KKL wrote:I understand that the pool that all applicants need to jump into during the water-confidence test is 3 metres deep, how about the distance between the aircraft and the pool then? Is it very high because although I can swim but I'm rather afraid of heights. Though I know I won't be in any risk, but I will just get scared.

Can any kind soul out there kindly advise me of the distance? I will really appreciate it very much.

By the way, I'm just curious. How long will the successful applicants be expected to start training after they are notified of their selection and will they be paid during the training?

Thank you....

Thanks for your encouragement!

Is only around 1m plus from the aircraft to the pool. If u scare don't be the first 1 nor the last. when u see everybody in front of u jump, u will just follow and jump. Trust me if u really want the job u will have the courage. :D

amerimacka

Stewards

Post by amerimacka » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:07 am

Just wondering more about the stewards? How many stewards are there in an intake? I've seen some photos and I'm amazed by the "average" looks.

Therefore I assumed that they have been chosen for other reasons? Anyone has any details to share and specific interview process? Please advise.

Regards

SQGuy

Stewards

Post by SQGuy » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 1:34 am

Coz the face of SIA is the SIA girl - not the SIA guy!

That's why the guys look so plain!

Zapping.... ahem... just put it this way - if you're some graduate with attitude.... ahem.... just be nice to everyone i guess!

:)

huiying

Post by huiying » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 1:49 am

well,

that is the life in SIA. got to bear with the bossy attitude of the seniors if u are getting the job.

as for having prettier juniors is a threat, i suppose it is true. coz pretty stewardess are aften being court by rich men and good-looking pilots whereas average-looking stewardess aren't. :wink:

plus, for SIA looks are consider impt. but for airlines like Emirates, Qantas, United Airlines, Valuair, Air Asia, British Airway etc. aren't into looks, they are more into your personalities and your customer services. looks are secondary to them. plus for these airlines, you have to be above 21yrs, mature enough to enter the complex workforce, able to handle situations that pop up during the flights.

SIA emphasis on the exterior looks rather than nice personalities. that's why there are quite a lot of 'ah-lians' pattern stewardesses and those who can't even speak english and mandarin fluently.

what a shame... :(

my friend quit after one year to continued her studies in Masters, her purpose of becoming an stewardess is to save money for her studies. now she is working happily at the Singapore Art Museum.

so it really depends on your morals values and your character. and if u really can handle the bitchy working environment in SIA.

As for stewards, yah, i agree, they do look very normal. so i suppose the standards for stewardess and stewards are different. i guess for steward, they do not emphasis much on looks and figures. as for stewardess, u can't be too skinny cos u wouldn't look nice in the kebaya, u got to have the curves to carry out the kebaya. that's what my friend told me when she was going thru' the interview. cos the really skinny girls look thin and straight in the kebayas and are rejected.

so, all the best to u people who are shortlisted for the interview! :)

josie

Post by josie » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 2:02 am

SQGuy wrote:Coz the face of SIA is the SIA girl - not the SIA guy!

That's why the guys look so plain!

Zapping.... ahem... just put it this way - if you're some graduate with attitude.... ahem.... just be nice to everyone i guess!

:)
hi SQGuy,

are u working as a SIA Steward? a question to ask u. are there any stewardess trainees who are 27, 28 ,29 years old? and steward trainees who are 29, 30, 31 years old?

my friend applied for the 2nd april intake as a stewardess, she is 28 years old this. was wondering if she is too old? and i am thinking applying for the next intake, me 25 this year.

thanks a lot. =)

Post by Guest » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 1:08 pm

huiying wrote:well,

that is the life in SIA. got to bear with the bossy attitude of the seniors if u are getting the job.

as for having prettier juniors is a threat, i suppose it is true. coz pretty stewardess are aften being court by rich men and good-looking pilots whereas average-looking stewardess aren't. :wink:

plus, for SIA looks are consider impt. but for airlines like Emirates, Qantas, United Airlines, Valuair, Air Asia, British Airway etc. aren't into looks, they are more into your personalities and your customer services. looks are secondary to them. plus for these airlines, you have to be above 21yrs, mature enough to enter the complex workforce, able to handle situations that pop up during the flights.

SIA emphasis on the exterior looks rather than nice personalities. that's why there are quite a lot of 'ah-lians' pattern stewardesses and those who can't even speak english and mandarin fluently.

what a shame... :(

my friend quit after one year to continued her studies in Masters, her purpose of becoming an stewardess is to save money for her studies. now she is working happily at the Singapore Art Museum.

so it really depends on your morals values and your character. and if u really can handle the bitchy working environment in SIA.

As for stewards, yah, i agree, they do look very normal. so i suppose the standards for stewardess and stewards are different. i guess for steward, they do not emphasis much on looks and figures. as for stewardess, u can't be too skinny cos u wouldn't look nice in the kebaya, u got to have the curves to carry out the kebaya. that's what my friend told me when she was going thru' the interview. cos the really skinny girls look thin and straight in the kebayas and are rejected.

so, all the best to u people who are shortlisted for the interview! :)
Ah lian pattern that can't speak fluent English and Mandarin and they made it through??EMERGENCY call for SQ to review on its cabin crew!!!What the hell??..so what's with the CERT again??

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 5:59 pm

yup, u sld hear some of the stewardess speaking in english and mandarin. oh my god! bad bad english... spoke like an ah lian indeed and in broken english... guess they are recruited for their looks not on their fluency in mandarin and english.

i was shocked when i heard them talking among themselves at airport, what a shame...trust me, i often take SIA for my company trips.

i suppose they only speak good english and mandarin while doing the announcements. cos they are being trained on how to speak, pronounce the announcements, that's why they sounded ok during announcements, but there quite a few who still speak ah lian-ish english during the announcements. only leading stewardess are allow to make the announcements.

i am not trying to be mean or cruel, but that's what i hear and see.

but now the education level is brought up from 'O' levels to 'A' levels. so i think the standard of english and mandarin ain't too bad from now onwards. perhaps, the ones that i see and hear are the past batches of stewardess recruited during the 'O' level standards.

then again, there is no need to have much of a paper qualifications to be a flight stewardess, it is the attitude and personality that counts. great attitude and services are the ways to go!

but too bad, SIA emphasis a lot on looks. pity...

Post by Guest » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 9:57 pm

Seriously,even an A level holder speaks broken English..especially on pronouncation!!bad enuough.....Maybe they should implement ORAL READING TEST as part of the interview!!hahaha...

Lavine

Post by Lavine » Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:07 am

Haha. Last time when O Levels holders can apply, we say that the looks are good but spoken skills are lousy. Then they raise the standard and we complain that they can speak better but not so pretty. If they ever raise the bar to university grads, then maybe we'll say that they're well-spoken, but too bookwormish..

Haha. Maybe the ideal Singapore Girl can only exist in TV ads and past memories.. :(