Singapore Expats

New Mums To Be?

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
Kaela

New Mums To Be?

Post by Kaela » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:18 am

Hi there

I'm currently only 10.5 weeks pregnant with my first but would love to meet up with anyone else in the same boat. We've been in Sing for 5 months but what with planning a wedding and then a cocktail party, both back in Sydney, and having shocking morning sickness, I haven't been able to get out and about to meet people. Anyone interested in meeting up in a few weeks? (Still feel sick - hoping it will pass at 12 weeks!)

Michaela :)

klitz
Regular
Regular

Post by klitz » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:55 am

hi, i'm currently 7weeks pregnant with my first child too.
U're flying to sydney to plan for ur wedding? i tot its not safe to fly in the first tri?
Feel free to email me at [email protected]

blukitchen

Post by blukitchen » Mon, 03 May 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Michaela i'm Francesca i'm 27 weeks pregnant but no many pregnant friends so it will be good if we meet each other!just let me know!!!i live at Novina ......

lalabelle

Post by lalabelle » Tue, 04 May 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Ladies

I would love to meet up too...just moved to Sing 4 months ago and now found out I am pregnant (8 weeks) which was unplanned.
To be honest I could do with meeting up as my job is crazy so since moving here I have managed to meet almost no-one and now, due to morning sickness (which lasts all day) dont think Im going to be out being socialable anytime soon....also have lots of Q's about maternity care here which seems so different from the UK

Im in Farrer Park just near Novena

annakarin82

Post by annakarin82 » Wed, 05 May 2010 3:35 pm

Hey,

I'm so happy to see that there are more mothers to be out there. I just arrived to singapore from Sweden a couple of days ago. I'm 17 weeks pregnant and I will have my baby here in october. I would love to meet you all who are in the similar situation :)

About the morningsickness, mine was really bad at first too but disappeared over night after 12-13 weeks so there is good hope!

How about a coffee or something to meet up? I am not working so I am very flexible.

Hope to see you all soon!

blukitchen

Post by blukitchen » Wed, 05 May 2010 4:40 pm

Hi ladys why we don't meet up next week for coffee or something like at Starbucks Novina?my e mail is [email protected],let me know!Francesca

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Thu, 06 May 2010 3:18 pm

Lalabelle, I feel for you! Will be 12 weeks on Saturday and had 2 good days this week but today feel awful again. I don't know how you're working. Can you only meet up on weekends? To be honest, you may be out of action for the next 4 but would definitely like to meet when you feel better.

Francesca, I'll email you but am not sure I can meet next week just due to feeling sick. I'm hoping for the week after though? Fingers crossed.

Does anyone know how many posts you have to make on this thing before you can send a "private message"?

M. :???:

annakarin82

Post by annakarin82 » Fri, 07 May 2010 11:14 am

I couldnt either post a private message. Lets book a day by using email instead. my emailadress is [email protected]

lalabelle

Post by lalabelle » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:59 am

Thanks Ladies!

I would love to meet up.........feeling so low and my job is so stressful!!
I am working full time so can only meet at the weekends.

Already worried about having to come back to work after 3 months too, are you guys all not working here? Im 9 weeks now and just cant wait until I can tell people so at least they know that Im not the least sociable person ever to work here!

Lets try and organise a meet up, my email is [email protected]

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Prenatal care basics

Post by poodlek » Mon, 10 May 2010 3:56 pm

Hey Ladies!

I'm not pregnant yet, but am trying so hopefully I will be soon. My husband and I were wondering about prenatal care in Singapore. I'm from Canada, so I'm not used to dealing with insurance companies or different types of hospitals, etc--I'm used to just showing up at the doctor and getting whatever I need. Can any of you point me in the direction of some step-by-step advice on how to get the appropriate (and perhaps most affordable) insurance package for pre-natal care, and any other information about hospitals (ie. what's the difference between public and private?), clinics, ob/gyn, etc that I may not know?

Also, do any of you have any information about alternative (I see it as supplementary) pre-natal care like doulas or midwives?

Thanks!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Prenatal care basics

Post by poodlek » Mon, 10 May 2010 4:01 pm

Hey Ladies!

I'm not pregnant yet, but am trying so hopefully I will be soon. My husband and I were wondering about prenatal care in Singapore. I'm from Canada, so I'm not used to dealing with insurance companies or different types of hospitals, etc--I'm used to just showing up at the doctor and getting whatever I need. Can any of you point me in the direction of some step-by-step advice on how to get the appropriate (and perhaps most affordable) insurance package for pre-natal care, and any other information about hospitals (ie. what's the difference between public and private?), clinics, ob/gyn, etc that I may not know?

Also, do any of you have any information about alternative (I see it as supplementary) pre-natal care like doulas or midwives?

Thanks!

Kaela

Post by Kaela » Thu, 13 May 2010 11:54 am

Hi poodlek

My advice is to google, google, google! And there is info on forums on this website too. My husband and I have very basic coverage :( through his employer but I was also directed to Pacific Prime who I think are based in HK but have an office here.

In regard to public and private hospitals, I'm not 100% sure of the difference, apart from price. Because I'm choosing to have a water birth, I'm looking at NUH (public) and Mount Alvernia (private) as they're the only two that have facilities. Haven't had a tour of them yet but of course public will always be cheaper. Although NUH is cheaper, I have heard it's still very good but will let you know after I look at both!

I'll be having a doula (you have to for a water birth but I'd like one anyway) and from what I've been told (by a midwife), midwives are unable to deliver in Singapore (unlike Australia) so you'll always have to have an ob/gyn do the delivery. There are quite a few doulas around but once again, the internet is your best friend.

Hope this helps a tiny bit. And I hope it's all correct! It just what I've researched.

:)

Freckgirl

Post by Freckgirl » Thu, 13 May 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Poodlek,

Yes, like Kaela mentioned, google and forums are probably your best bet for finding details about insurance coverage in Singapore.
I myself delivered my first child in Canada, and we are planning for a second one here in Singapore. Along the lines of insurance, have any of you ladies done cord blood banking? I hear it's all the rage here, and it is considered a sort of biological insurance.

As for hospitals, I have heard from friends that the service is better in private hospitals and the wait time is drastically shorter as well. Thomson Medical Centre seems to be one of the more popular private hospitals for deliveries, whereas Mount Alvernia is a smaller, cozier hospital. I can't really comment on the public hospitals.

Hope this helps!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback ladies!

I am now 5 weeks pregnant and feeling great so far, just a little tired and often very hungry. I think I'm going to deliver at NUH--not sure of the OB yet, either Dr. Rauff or Dr. Chong. Depending on how I like either of them I guess I'll decide on whether to get a doula. Have you guys met up yet, or again recently?

The insurance thing was a bust--which was why I never found anything about it in google searches before posting here. Apparently nobody offers insurance coverage for pre-natal care or delivery. I do have insurance for hospitalization due to complications with pregnancy as well as any treatment related to congenital problems with the infant starting at 15 days old. This I guess is the best we can do, at least according to my insurance broker.

klitz
Regular
Regular

Post by klitz » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 6:14 pm

i bought prenatal insurance from a fren at prudential.
it covers the pregnancy till the child is 3years old.