Singapore Expats

Why do the buildings in the UK look so old and rundown?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tkuanhoo

Why do the buildings in the UK look so old and rundown?

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 8:25 pm

Just been there not long ago and they all look so old and rundown (especially outside London).

It looks like a second-third world country to be honest. Is it even safe to live in one of those castles? They have so much moss and algae and look like they are about to collapse anytime.

And there are no jobs in Britein these days?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 01 May 2010 8:32 pm

I hear 'ya man. And Old Trafford, what a dump compared to Bedok stadium...

tkuanhoo

Post by tkuanhoo » Sat, 01 May 2010 8:44 pm

aster wrote:I hear 'ya man. And Old Trafford, what a dump compared to Bedok stadium...
Old, dirty, stained, garbage all over the street. Glad Singapore isn't like that.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Sat, 01 May 2010 9:03 pm

The hypocrite returns - words from your own mouth:

"What a terrible little whiner " huh huh huh...sob sob"

Oh garbage in the uk sob sob sob, garbage in my street in Singapore sob sob, I cant get rid of my old furniture because i am to stupid to work out how to sob sob sob.

I see why you have to advertise for friendship and just to educate you a building is old if it was built a long time ago. Its a pretty simple concept.

urpos

Post by urpos » Sat, 01 May 2010 9:34 pm

Nath21 wrote:The hypocrite returns - words from your own mouth:

Oh garbage in the uk sob sob sob, garbage in my street in Singapore sob sob, I cant get rid of my old furniture because i am to stupid to work out how to sob sob sob.

I see why you have to advertise for friendship and just to educate you a building is old if it was built a long time ago. Its a pretty simple concept.
I don't think OP is whining, he sounds liike he is just disgusted. Anyone who has been to the UK would be disgusted as well. The country is rundown, no doubt about it.

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Sat, 01 May 2010 9:37 pm

urpos wrote:
Nath21 wrote:The hypocrite returns - words from your own mouth:

I don't think OP is whining, he sounds liike he is just disgusted. Anyone who has been to the UK would be disgusted as well. The country is rundown, no doubt about it.
funny that you write exactly the same as him and joined the day after each other.. hmmm. Your so clever. oh and whining is whining. Dont call other people out on it and do the same yourself. For further entertainment can you open a thread and have OP and yourself discuss a topic of interest to yourselves I think I might find it amusing.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:14 pm

urpos wrote:
:o Excuse me...... I live here and while the UK certainly has its problems it doesn't look rundown, a good many places look quite the opposite. Yes there are what some might call rough and unfriendly neighbourhoods but nothing defined as slum that I am aware of. [-X

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:19 pm

Actually urpos is the OP using his new nick after Plavt banned him. I just checked urpos' IP and surprise, surprise. Now he's banned as well. As will all forthcoming nicks as we don't mind him start his own threads to crap in, but when he starts crapping in other threads, then it's time to moderate.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:33 pm

Plavt wrote: Yes there are what some might call rough and unfriendly neighbourhoods but nothing defined as slum that I am aware of. [-X

Plavt , you should hangout more often in council estates.Some are bordering slums, okay maybe not to the same degree with the 'Favelas' but still pretty grim!

Hmm, cities and towns outside of London are actually better places to live in. They are generally cleaner and the people friendlier. Me favourite town is the largest one in Merseyside metropolitan county...I must have been a Scouser in my previous life 8-)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:52 pm

raden888 wrote:
Plavt , you should hangout more often in council estates.Some are bordering slums, okay maybe not to the same degree with the 'Favelas' but still pretty grim!
I live on a council estate in London and agree pretty much with what you are saying since I originate from a provincial town in Wiltshire which is pretty rural as you no doubt know. Don't know what the attraction of Liverpool is unless of course you are fond of the bottle. :P

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sat, 01 May 2010 11:12 pm

Hmm, cities and towns outside of London are actually better places to live in. They are generally cleaner and the people friendlier. Me favourite town is the largest one in Merseyside metropolitan county...I must have been a Scouser in my previous life
ha ha, I nearly spit my drink over the screen in surprise when I read that. Being born and bred in Merseyside, that's got to be the funniest thing I've read about Liverpool since Bill Bryson described it as appearing to be having a 'festival of litter' when he last visited.

Old, dirty, stained, garbage all over the street. Glad Singapore isn't like that.
LOL, you've got to have been living in a bubble on Orchard Road most of your life if you think that. Try walking along one of the rivers (or stinky canals as my kids call them). The Geylang one is a good one to start with - it's like cr@p city along there, especially after a bit of rain. Maybe that's why the gov blocked it off from the sea - not to make it a leisure waterpark as they claimed - it's to stop other countries having to suffer the tons of plastic bags and junk that float off into the sea from these shores every year.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sat, 01 May 2010 11:54 pm

BigSis wrote: ha ha, I nearly spit my drink over the screen in surprise when I read that. Being born and bred in Merseyside, that's got to be the funniest thing I've read about Liverpool since Bill Bryson described it as appearing to be having a 'festival of litter' when he last visited.
Well, that was a general statement regarding cities and town outside of London and not specifically directed towards Liverpool.Sorry to keep your hopes up, luv .So is your 'scared of roaches' hubby from Merseyside too? Thought they bred them tough up there?:???:

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 02 May 2010 8:38 am

raden888 wrote:
BigSis wrote: ha ha, I nearly spit my drink over the screen in surprise when I read that. Being born and bred in Merseyside, that's got to be the funniest thing I've read about Liverpool since Bill Bryson described it as appearing to be having a 'festival of litter' when he last visited.
Well, that was a general statement regarding cities and town outside of London and not specifically directed towards Liverpool.Sorry to keep your hopes up, luv .So is your 'scared of roaches' hubby from Merseyside too? Thought they bred them tough up there?:???:
I think you've got "BigSis" confused with me....

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:25 am

terenceong wrote:
BigSis wrote:
LOL, you've got to have been living in a bubble on Orchard Road most of your life if you think that. Try walking along one of the rivers (or stinky canals as my kids call them). The Geylang one is a good one to start with - it's like cr@p city along there, especially after a bit of rain. Maybe that's why the gov blocked it off from the sea - not to make it a leisure waterpark as they claimed - it's to stop other countries having to suffer the tons of plastic bags and junk that float off into the sea from these shores every year.
Oh here we go. Another gathering of drug damaged, tattooed, low class, vulgar, classless, violent peices of trash.
Ah yes, the old 'big nose' cliché. When people with limited intelligence and individuality try and insult someone they grasp desperately at the most prominent thing about them and dig away...........into a nice, big hole.

And why would you feel the need I wonder. Was it because I touched a nerve with my comment about Singapore not being as clean as people think? I'm sorry that the truth hurts but it IS the truth - the city isn't cleaner than anywhere else because of people somehow being bred cleaner - they're not, they simply have an army of cleaners following them around picking up the pieces. Like it or not, that's why this city is clean.
Last edited by BigSis on Sun, 02 May 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:31 am

raden888 wrote:
How can it have been a general statement when you said "Me favourite town is the largest one in Merseyside metropolitan county...I must have been a Scouser in my previous life". It was quite obvious where you were referring to :???:

What 'scared of roaches' hubby?