Singapore Expats

Suggestion on things to buy in America when moving to SG

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 4:58 pm

Scanteak is more teak style while I am thinking more of modern minimalistic and/or leather furnishing?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 5:02 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Scanteak is more teak style while I am thinking more of modern minimalistic and/or leather furnishing?
Actually, Scanteak is Scandanavian design but using teak instead of birch or oak as they normally do. Leather furnishings? Novena usually carries a reasonable selection of Italian leather furnishings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 5:05 pm

noodlemama wrote:
OMG - I forgot about Triscuits....
Yeah! Triscuits! Occasionally you can find them in "The Market Place" and even rarer, in Cold Storage. They always look at me funny when I walk through there and happen to catch a rare instance of them on the shelves and I buy all of them on the shelf at one go! They are the best cheese cracker going! :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:50 pm

I have a gas grill, and it uses disposable 14.1 or 16.4 LP cylinder. Can I buy those disposable cylinder in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:55 pm

No, but they use refillable ones here (LPG) not butane. Your fittings may differ but usually those can be changed and you can find most types of adaptors here. Actually the gas supplier may well have just what the doc ordered. Just have to ask them. Provided you have a popular make western grill Weber or most of the aussie ones.

KindClare

Post by KindClare » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:33 pm

What about electric fans? (I live in UK, not USA so voltage is not an issue) I just saw an advert for a "Tower Fan" about 3 feet tall, oscillating, etc for £19.99 (about $40 SGD).
I'm thinking 1 or 2 of these would be a good investment (move fully paid by company) or can you get them easily and cheaper in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:57 pm

Good place to get some ideas is eBay Singapore. Will generally put you in the ballpark.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat, 01 May 2010 12:08 am

I got a little bit confused. The institutional difference is HUGE!

But here is the one that I have. Does it work in Singapore?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-566001-Port ... B000CDKHGM

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 01 May 2010 12:29 am

KindClare wrote:What about electric fans? (I live in UK, not USA so voltage is not an issue) I just saw an advert for a "Tower Fan" about 3 feet tall, oscillating, etc for £19.99 (about $40 SGD).
I'm thinking 1 or 2 of these would be a good investment (move fully paid by company) or can you get them easily and cheaper in Singapore?
Roughly the same price. I bought a couple of wall mount, remote control fans for S$38.80 at Carrefour. S$31 for non remote version. They had many wall mounts, floor stand, and table fans.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat, 01 May 2010 10:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, but they use refillable ones here (LPG) not butane. Your fittings may differ but usually those can be changed and you can find most types of adaptors here. Actually the gas supplier may well have just what the doc ordered. Just have to ask them. Provided you have a popular make western grill Weber or most of the aussie ones.
I got a little bit confused. The one I have is similar to the following one. Can you take a look and see whether this one works in Singapore? Thank you very much!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2010 11:06 am

Doc wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, but they use refillable ones here (LPG) not butane. Your fittings may differ but usually those can be changed and you can find most types of adaptors here. Actually the gas supplier may well have just what the doc ordered. Just have to ask them. Provided you have a popular make western grill Weber or most of the aussie ones.
I got a little bit confused. The one I have is similar to the following one. Can you take a look and see whether this one works in Singapore? Thank you very much!!

Send these guys an email and they might be able to sort you out. I notice they have the grill showing on their site that you are using (or at least it looks the same).

http://www.malshaenterprise.com/

sms

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Mon, 03 May 2010 12:00 pm

Maybe get enough big item stuff based on the measurement of your new apartment. Else, storage can be... :???:

Do get:
1. Good work and leisure clothes.
2. Undergarments, especially for female.
3. Snacks that may offer some comfort in the initial months, especially for the kids. But remember to bring the ones that does not melt, i.e. no chocolate, candy in the shipping.

Topshelf

Post by Topshelf » Fri, 07 May 2010 10:04 am

For the second time in two years, I cannot find any ladies shaving cream in Singapore. I've been to all the grocery stores/drug stores within a 5 mile radius of my house, and everyone seems to be out. What's more, they all tell me they never had it! "Don't have!" they all say, or "No stock!"while looking at me as if I'm crazy. What's up with that? Is there a container full of ladies shaving cream at the bottom of the Pacific somewhere? So, you might want to add that to your list.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 07 May 2010 1:14 pm

Not a hairy person, so never used ladies shaving cream. But I am positive that I have seen it in all supermarkets... which area do you stay? Are you looking for a specific brand?

I am pretty sure Cold Storage or Market Place have them.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 07 May 2010 5:54 pm

Topshelf wrote:For the second time in two years, I cannot find any ladies shaving cream in Singapore. I've been to all the grocery stores/drug stores within a 5 mile radius of my house, and everyone seems to be out. What's more, they all tell me they never had it! "Don't have!" they all say, or "No stock!"while looking at me as if I'm crazy. What's up with that? Is there a container full of ladies shaving cream at the bottom of the Pacific somewhere? So, you might want to add that to your list.
They sell it in Carrefour... to be more specific - on the bottom shelf of the shaving area that is located near the people mover (is that what it's called) that takes you down to the basement level. They also sell it at Mustafa center.