Singapore Expats

Finally the job happens!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 8:37 pm

this is all just an elaborate prank...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 8:30 pm

sofke wrote:Are you for real?
No, I'm surreal :lol:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 9:31 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
I'll say. I though you got lost in limbo somewhere. 12 days! Job must be a lulu! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:
I'll say. I though you got lost in limbo somewhere. 12 days! Job must be a lulu! :cool:
Well, after 2 months of waking up at 8.30 or so I am now required to be at work at that time...takes some getting used to, that and the whole "back to routine" thing! But I'm BACK :twisted:

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 6:40 pm

Congratulations!

This will certainly give those who are doing the same more hope, I remember reading your first post (i've been lurking longer than posting) and I am still trying to get across from Blighty and my wife will possibly be in a similar situation when I get there, so this will help me feel more confident!

nice one

Richie
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 9:39 pm

richie303 wrote:Congratulations!

This will certainly give those who are doing the same more hope, I remember reading your first post (i've been lurking longer than posting) and I am still trying to get across from Blighty and my wife will possibly be in a similar situation when I get there, so this will help me feel more confident!

nice one

Richie
Thanks :-) The good news is the economy is looking up so hopefully companies should start hiring in big numbers a couple of months down the line. All the very best!

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:21 pm

Thank you very much! I've been keeping an eye on the markets over there and the economy is looking more and more healthy, I ws thinking of moving some cash over there to ensure I am not left behind when I eventually crack a good job, £:$ is getting worse!!

Big bounceback is due and seems to be condusive of S'poreans and foreigners alike in SG saving their pennies and having little debt! Debt is a big issue still over here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:49 pm

credit card debt and mortgage debts here are over the top as well. Most singaporean don't have sufficient liquid assets to tap either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 4:12 am

Debt is everywhere not only in SG.

Most of the people here has debt up to their eyeballs!!!

They borrow more than they earn
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 8:18 am

Congratulations! As a job seeker myself, any advice you want to shed? Also, did you get it through networking or thru online job ads?

richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Post by richie303 » Fri, 30 Apr 2010 6:30 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Debt is everywhere not only in SG.

Most of the people here has debt up to their eyeballs!!!

They borrow more than they earn
At least your government isn't racking up debt to the tune of £30K per household per year!

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 01 May 2010 3:48 pm

chelseagirl wrote:Congratulations! As a job seeker myself, any advice you want to shed? Also, did you get it through networking or thru online job ads?
Thanks. Advice: Am sure you're already doing the JobsDB and other jobsites thing. But it is a good idea to list the companies in your sector in Singapore and send your resume to them. For instance I was working in a telecom firm in India in the Marketing team. I sent out my resume to relevant firms in SG and that's how the firm I now work with called me for an interview.

Networking helps a lot too- I think the challenge is to land an interview and you need to maximise your chances by ensuring your resume reaches people in relevant organisations-for instance you may send your cv to 10 consultants but you can't say for sure whether it actually got to someone who was hiring.

For most of us on DP our first starting point for "networking" so to say has to be people in our partner's organisations cause they may know people in other companies and so on. When I first got to SG I didn't know a single soul apart from my husband.

You need to work on all the above parallely and with the direction the economy is looking to take, I don't see why things shouldn't work out. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl » Sun, 02 May 2010 12:51 pm

Many thanks for your input! Will keep at it until something comes up, it is just a matter of when. :)

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Mon, 03 May 2010 8:06 pm

chelseagirl wrote:Many thanks for your input! Will keep at it until something comes up, it is just a matter of when. :)
Attagirl! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 May 2010 9:01 pm

That sounds familiar. :wink: