Singapore Expats

Alternative browser to IE

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Alternative browser to IE

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 3:31 pm

Hi, I'm running a PC on XP-SP3 and using IE (7?) as a browser.

I also have the Google toolbar installed within IE and am starting to get very hacked off with how when I open a new tab, enter search terms in the Google search box, half way through the cursor flips up to the IE address bar and the rest of the input goes there. I've googled the issue, it is not unusual it seems, but there appears to be no clear solution (personally I reckon it is M$ who've set that up to garner search/advert income). Still it's flipping annoying as you often have to type in search terms twice over.

If I uninstall/reinstall the Google tool-bar the issue resolves but only for a few days. SOOO. I've thinking of trying out another browser. Does anyone have any suggestions. Firefox, Chrome.... A.N. Other?

Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 3:38 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 5:05 pm

Ok thank you, from reading through that I think I will give Chrome a go.

Looks wise if I can run it in parallel with IE until I am happy it can access everything I need.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 5:08 pm

Oh, and this reminds me that trying to upgrade from IE7 to v8 last year buggered my entire system, which required a full OS re-install.

Take the 'fully reversible' System Restore function with the necessary 50kg sack of salt.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 6:23 pm

i mostly use firefox. only use IE6 and recently IE8 to access corp network. i turn off/disable most add-ons in the browser to make it as lean as possible.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 8:07 pm

I use FF as well as my primary browser. I also have chrome installed at home and occasionally will use it but as I STILL cannot figure out a way to get the Bookmarks menu to stay open and useable I find it's too cumbersome still although it does load much faster. The footprint is just as big as FF though if you tend to use multiple tabs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

$Pripps

Re: Alternative browser to IE

Post by $Pripps » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 5:29 pm

JR8 wrote:Hi, I'm running a PC on XP-SP3 and using IE (7?) as a browser.

I also have the Google toolbar installed within IE and am starting to get very hacked off with how when I open a new tab, enter search terms in the Google search box, half way through the cursor flips up to the IE address bar and the rest of the input goes there. I've googled the issue, it is not unusual it seems, but there appears to be no clear solution (personally I reckon it is M$ who've set that up to garner search/advert income). Still it's flipping annoying as you often have to type in search terms twice over.

If I uninstall/reinstall the Google tool-bar the issue resolves but only for a few days. SOOO. I've thinking of trying out another browser. Does anyone have any suggestions. Firefox, Chrome.... A.N. Other?

Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated.

The fastest browser currently available (after reading a test) is google chrome which is available at the google site. I personally don't like it because at some sites I have some compatibility issues.

Another fast good browser is Opera (http://www.opera.com) this is my standard browser nowadays after being fed up with Firefox becoming more and more slow.

A third I use is Safari, which exists both for Mac and PC. (http://www.apple.com)

That said, I think that you could fix your existing problem by downloading a program to scan for adware, there are basically two products that are free and well-known:

http://www.lavasoft.com has one called ad-aware and the other is called Spybot Search & Destroy http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search- ... 22137.html

Another alternative is to reinstall internet explorer, how to can be read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

HTH

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 7:05 pm

I use Chrome to open my Gmail and read the postings on this forum. For work, I use IE to open the intranet page (just because some of our sites are only compatible with IE). I also use Firefox to read some documentation.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 1:25 am

I like FF. It does everything it's supposed to do.

Safari would be my second choice, though Opera also has its fair share of fans.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 5:06 am

Thanks $Pripps, I appreciate that long list of Recs.

I installed SBS&D and did a sweep with that. I recall now that I used to have this app on a previous build (pre my OS going tits-up and having to reinstall), and there is a bit of user disquiet over an element of the prog, a thing called Tea-Timer. I might look into that again...

Meanwhile I'll continue paralleling IE with Chrome. And if I don't feel I'm making progress will give Opera a shot too.

Thx again for your help!

umar911

Post by umar911 » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 3:54 pm

Firefox
Safari
Google Chrome
Opera

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Thu, 20 May 2010 10:40 pm

Firefox
Chrome

Installed but not used: Safari and IE.

Opera has much bigger footprint - don't like it ....

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 12:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I use FF as well as my primary browser. I also have chrome installed at home and occasionally will use it but as I STILL cannot figure out a way to get the Bookmarks menu to stay open and useable I find it's too cumbersome still although it does load much faster. The footprint is just as big as FF though if you tend to use multiple tabs.
Try ctrl-B to get the bookmarks.

The Chrome footprint may be just as large as FFs but the chrome tabs are launched as separate threads. So one tab freeze is not going to freeze your entire browser.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 12:17 am

JR8 wrote:Ok thank you, from reading through that I think I will give Chrome a go.

Looks wise if I can run it in parallel with IE until I am happy it can access everything I need.
Both Chrome and Firefox has a "IE Tab" extension. This extension uses the IE rendering engine to display content in a tab in your FF or Chrome browser.

I use both FF and Chrome at work - FF for my work related stuff and Chrome for my non-work related stuff (have multiple tabs open in both instances).

To access my corporate Micro$oft Exchange Server from home, I use FF + IE tab.

I never open IE (I do have that Opera, Flock, Safar also installed on my machine) directly and have my corporate URL auto-mapped to using IE tab on my browser.

I am slowly gravitating from FF to Chrome as my primary browser.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:12 am

I don't like Google, especially after their recent "sorry, we've been secretly gathering data about you" (yet again) fiasco.

I don't imagine EVER switching to Chrome (just out of curiosity I tried it once when it first came out and thought it was utter %#$@), just like I dropped IE a long time ago, even when I was stlil a PC user.

For me it's Firefox all the way, with Safari as a back-up browser. Though I have heard that Opera is said to be the best browser out there, just too lazy to give it a thorough try...