Singapore Expats

NS for 1st generation PR undergrads

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
raikoken

NS for 1st generation PR undergrads

Post by raikoken » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 6:56 pm

Hi people!

I'm wondering whether I would be required to serve NS if I become a PR now. I am an Indonesian currently studying in NUS. Some time ago I got a letter from ICA telling me to consider to apply to become PR, complete with all the forms required - an invitation of sorts. It still hasn't expired now. My younger sister got the same letter earlier than me, used it and got the PR status. I am also tempted to use it, since I found it very difficult to find temporary jobs because I'm a foreign student. Question is, will they draft me for NS out of the blue? I would be a first generation PR; my parents are foreign.

Your help would be most appreciated. I hope for a straight answer for better or worse.

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Re: NS for 1st generation PR undergrads

Post by Tau Beta » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:46 pm

raikoken wrote:Hi people!

I'm wondering whether I would be required to serve NS if I become a PR now. I am an Indonesian currently studying in NUS. Some time ago I got a letter from ICA telling me to consider to apply to become PR, complete with all the forms required - an invitation of sorts. It still hasn't expired now. My younger sister got the same letter earlier than me, used it and got the PR status. I am also tempted to use it, since I found it very difficult to find temporary jobs because I'm a foreign student. Question is, will they draft me for NS out of the blue? I would be a first generation PR; my parents are foreign.

Your help would be most appreciated. I hope for a straight answer for better or worse.
Do you want to be a SGer? Like real bad? Perhaps you should answer this question first.

Logics tell me that the Gahmen wouldn’t draft you out of the blue since they came to you ‘coz you’re a college student in the 1st place [Note: I know very little of the NS process - there’re ton of SME here that can answer the question well]. I’m curious to know if you want to be a SGer real bad ‘coz if so, you shouldn’t need to worry too much about serving NS first (can’t always have the best of both worlds). I’m pretty certain that you’ll still get to complete your education eventually. Without your PR, you won’t be able to get a professional job in SG easily even after you graduate having save a couple of years [as you have stated].

raikoken

Post by raikoken » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:35 am

yep I do want to be a singaporean in the future. But that's still so far away. After I got my degree, I'll find professional work, and can then apply for PR under the PTS scheme, no problem. In fact, the govt offers foreign graduates PR status with the PTS scheme as soon as they graduate, like they did to my friend.

Why I want to be a PR NOW is only because I want to find work while I'm still studying. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of me being drafted to tekong :(

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 2:37 am

raikoken wrote:yep I do want to be a singaporean in the future. But that's still so far away. After I got my degree, I'll find professional work, and can then apply for PR under the PTS scheme, no problem. In fact, the govt offers foreign graduates PR status with the PTS scheme as soon as they graduate, like they did to my friend.

Why I want to be a PR NOW is only because I want to find work while I'm still studying. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of me being drafted to tekong :(
Looks like you're set either way. Nice! Might be a good idea to get the PR thing done & over with, and you get to work while you're in school. I don't know about SG but here in the States, internship is key to campus recruiting prior to graduation for good position and company. If you're not a PR or Citizen, most major non-high-tech Company will not take a second look at you even for internship. Let's see if the folks here can help you with your NS question. The guys here are awesome.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: NS for 1st generation PR undergrads

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 4:18 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

raikoken

Post by raikoken » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:11 am

so in other words, no PR for me till I graduate, huh :(

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:25 am

raikoken wrote:so in other words, no PR for me till I graduate, huh :(
Oh well... look at the bright side... few more years of partying :D College life comes only once a life time!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:30 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

raikoken

Post by raikoken » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 6:43 am

well, as you should have guessed, I want to get the PR status, but absolutely do not want to serve NS. According to you, there's no guarantee that they wont get me to serve, means no PR for me till after graduation when they'll give me PR with PTS. I'll call ICA to reconfirm. Thanks a lot mad scientist.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 7:08 am

Frankly, they shouldn't give you PR. You want to take from the country but you don't want to contribute? They really don't need your kind of thought processes for the betterment of Singapore. You think nothing has a price and all should be free? :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 8:03 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 8:30 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, they shouldn't give you PR. You want to take from the country but you don't want to contribute? They really don't need your kind of thought processes for the betterment of Singapore. You think nothing has a price and all should be free? :-|
I agree wth SMS. This is so wrong.

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:59 pm

What is so wrong with avoiding NS if possible? Very few of you if any would have taken up PR if it meant doing NS...

raikoken

Post by raikoken » Thu, 29 Apr 2010 3:15 pm

hey hey, not doing ns doesnt mean not contributing to the country. In the 2 years I can work and contribute to the economy, rather than doing BMT. Doing ns isnt the only way a guy can contribute to the country.

and mad scientist, I really dont get what you were saying in the last part of your post. I'm Indonesian, not malay. Can you say again in english?