Singapore Expats

Wee bit of a housing emergency.

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
HurrDurr

Wee bit of a housing emergency.

Post by HurrDurr » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 2:49 am

So I'm an American student who's going to be working in Singapore from May 14th to August 14th. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find a place to stay. With that May 14th date barreling towards my still-without-housinged-self pretty rapidly, I'm starting to get worried.

I've been trawling this place's classifieds as well as ..com.sg, but between people failing to respond to inquiries, reluctance to rent out for such a short period of time, and my budget (SGD 1000 per month MAX), I'm not having much luck.

So... help?

Search By

Edmundfo

Re: Wee bit of a housing emergency.

Post by Edmundfo » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:45 am

HurrDurr wrote:So I'm an American student who's going to be working in Singapore from May 14th to August 14th. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find a place to stay. With that May 14th date barreling towards my still-without-housinged-self pretty rapidly, I'm starting to get worried.

I've been trawling this place's classifieds as well as ..com.sg, but between people failing to respond to inquiries, reluctance to rent out for such a short period of time, and my budget (SGD 1000 per month MAX), I'm not having much luck.

So... help?

Many exchange students face similar difficulties when they come here, even if they are going to stay here for several months. They typically have to spend their first weeks at a backpackers hostel. So you may risk having to spend your stay here in a dormitory (beds from USD 13 to USD 22) unless your employer has the decency to help you find a place. If you are not happy with that, you may want to consider doing something else in the summer. I have never met any landlord who was willing to sign for less than 1 year lease.

Edmundfo

Re: Wee bit of a housing emergency.

Post by Edmundfo » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:51 am

Check this one out for some tips if you haven't: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic68790.html

RalphVR

Post by RalphVR » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 2:26 pm

Hello Bro,
I have a room for you for temporary use.

Please call 91376733

I was approched by this person saying tht this person has a room to let out temporarily.

Do SMS to tht number immediately.

-Vineeth
vinzlife.blogspot.com

HurrDurr

Post by HurrDurr » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 4:30 pm

I SMSed, but I'm not sure if my cell plan permits overseas SMS-ing.

Any chance this guy has an email address?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 5:25 pm

Check out the classifieds section (button on the top bar of the web page) for short term room rentals.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 5:38 pm

RalphVR wrote:Hello Bro,
I have a room for you for temporary use.

Please call 91376733

I was approched by this person saying tht this person has a room to let out temporarily.

Do SMS to tht number immediately.

-Vineeth
vinzlife.blogspot.com
Who should he ask for?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RalphVR

Post by RalphVR » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 5:22 am

HurrDurr wrote:I SMSed, but I'm not sure if my cell plan permits overseas SMS-ing.

Any chance this guy has an email address?
Actually, i received an sms from this number couple of days ago saying he/she has a room to rent.
-The rental is jus $400. (good deal) near Yew Tee mrt.
-The good news is, it exactly matches with your schedule. He/She has the room for rental from 8th of may till 18th aug.

the name of the person / email addr, i dunno at the moment.. sorry.

-The person is the owner of the place and not an agent.. so its a good deal for you to get a room without an agent.

-You can just give a call on that number and say that u came to know there is a room for rental n ask if the room is still available.

Nevertheless, Ill give that person a call tomorrow and post further details including name, email address here in the forum.

Regards,
Vineeth
vinzlife.blogspot.com

HurrDurr

Post by HurrDurr » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:08 am

RalphVR wrote:near Yew Tee mrt.
Well that's gonna be a damn long commute (I'm working at the Siemens center on 60 MacPherson rd). Beggers can't be choosers, though.

Eagerly awaiting the further info.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:38 am

HurrDurr wrote:
Well that's gonna be a damn long commute (I'm working at the Siemens center on 60 MacPherson rd). Beggers can't be choosers, though.

if it's any consolation, the eastern half of the circle line's operational already
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

RalphVR

Post by RalphVR » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 2:59 pm

HurrDurr wrote:

Hey.! last time i also used to work at Siemens Mcphsn... in (IT command n control centre).....

The commuting is not a prob at all.. lik u can see above, the circle line has opened... it wil save u a lot of time.

The owner's name is Vijay. his email address is [email protected]
The rental he is asking is s$400 Excluding utility bills.. so it will cost you around 450-480 only.
Vinzlife.blogspot.com