Singapore Expats

Renounce Singapore Citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
papamama

Renounce Singapore Citizenship

Post by papamama » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:48 am

Hi Guys,

I need you guys opinion, suggestion & information on the renunciation of Singapore Citizenship.

My husband is Singapore Citizen, he had completed all his NS. He had dual citizenship (Canada & Singapore) for 15yrs. He decided to renounce his Singapore citizenship, will he facing any problem on his renunciation? Can he submit his renunciation application form to Singapore by his relative instead of submitting in person to Consulate of Singapore in New York?

Myself is Singapore PR, I'm considering to renounce my PR. Can I authorize my relative to submit the application form & documents to ICA instead of submitting to Consulate of Singapore New York?

Thanks for all the opinion & information given :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:34 pm

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

papamama

Post by papamama » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 9:32 pm

Hi MS, thank u for ur a advise... pls refer below:
Mad Scientist wrote:
papamama wrote:Hi Guys,

I need you guys opinion, suggestion & information on the renunciation of Singapore Citizenship.

My husband is Singapore Citizen, he had completed all his NS. He had dual citizenship (Canada & Singapore) for 15yrs. He decided to renounce his Singapore citizenship, will he facing any problem on his renunciation?
Q. 1. When he left for Canada did he apply for exit permit ?
A1: He left Singapore last yr Jun. He didn't get teh exit permit coz he had completed the reservist.
2. Is he an officer or other rank in the SAF?
A2: He is CPL is SAF
3. Has he completed his 13 year cycle reservist and receive a release letter from MINDEF that he is no longer required to serve NS?
A3: He had completed his 13yrs cycle of reservist, hi did received the release letter fr MINDEF but he lost it.
4. Do you have any son living with you in Canada and has a Exit Permit granted
A4: We had a son living with us but don't have the Exit Permit Granted coz, he is 5yr this year.
5. Are you a person of interest to SG Gahmen.
A5: no
Please answer this for me before I can assist you.

Can he submit his renunciation application form to Singapore by his relative instead of submitting in person to Consulate of Singapore in New York?
Incorrect and not a good idea.
If you can answer the top part and is all green light . Call ICA or e-mail www.ica.gov.sg to get the renunciation form from them. You cannot find it in their website. Alternatively call SG High Comm in New York to send you the form. They will asked your details that you have to forward to them b4 they can send it to you
The forms consist of several docs that has to be signed in front of the Public Notary NOT Justice of Peace
You need to send it by register mail or DHL and send it either to NY High Comm or ICA directly so that they can acknowledge receipt of document. A paper trail must be ensured for future complication
It takes a solid 2 months to process. NOT ONE DAY LATE OR EARLY

Myself is Singapore PR, I'm considering to renounce my PR. Can I authorize my relative to submit the application form & documents to ICA instead of submitting to Consulate of Singapore New York?
You need to call ICA on this at the same number. If you release your PR personally , you can go to CPF building to withdraw immediately your monies. It takes about 15 mins. CPF does not deal with power of attorney or authorise person

There is a thread about this

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 4:26 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 7:48 am

Hi MC,

Appreciated all the information given... I will call ICA to to get all the application forms..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:03 am

Isn't such withdrawal of the CPF contribution subject to the income tax?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:14 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:26 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
x9200 wrote:Isn't such withdrawal of the CPF contribution subject to the income tax?
Yes it is subject to income tax in SG.In some countries too based on income earned overseas.

When a Sger works overseas and one forgot to submit Income Tax return back to SG although you are paying tax in the foreign country, this person will be subjected to Estimated Income Tax by IRA SG.Failing so will result in complication situation and fines..
It is the responsiblity of one to report zero income earned in SG yearly even though that person is a PR in another country.
Or else IRA will chase you to the deepest hole in the face of the earth to recover that taxable income :lol:
So.... b4 renounce and you have paid all your Income Tax Due in SG, your CPF will be return in full amount.
CPF will pass this info when you apply for wihdrawal to IRA SG before releasing the money to you hence the one month process. :D
Hi MC,

We had cleared all the Income Tax issue with IRAS every year. Is the CPF withdraw due to our renounce of Citizen & SPR still subject to Income Taxes?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:34 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:36 am

Mad Scientist wrote:PPM

I have edited my previous post. Please read again as I realised you will ask this question.

Sorry for this "brain blockage" for a moment

Thinking too many things at one time.

MS :lol:
Oh ic... tks MC....

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:46 am

As per my previous thread.

I am not sure about Canada Tax Law. So it is always not "advisable" to wire the whole chunk from SG to your Canada bank account. This may or may not jolt a few eyes in Canada Inland Revenue.
So..... the money from CPF goes to your local bank in SG and from there you can decide how to go under the radar.
Some countries as long as you can prove this money from overseas is your saving , it will not be subjected to tax.

MS

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:47 am

ddd
Last edited by papamama on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:50 am

papamama wrote:Hi MS, thank u for ur a advise... pls refer below:
Mad Scientist wrote:
papamama wrote:Hi Guys,

You need to call ICA on this at the same number. If you release your PR personally , you can go to CPF building to withdraw immediately your monies. It takes about 15 mins. CPF does not deal with power of attorney or authorise person

There is a thread about this
I called ICA & Singapore High Commission in New York. ICA told me that the person have to go down in person to hand over all the documents that issued by ICA & a letter stated that want to renounce SPR. They told me the officer may issue the released letter to me immediately or maybe later by mail... But the New York Embassy give me 2 choices, 1st is go down personally & make appointment with consulate in order I can get my passport back on the same day. 2nd choice is mail all my original documents to them & they will redirect to ICA after that ICA will return my passport to me by self-paid postage envelope. The process may take 4-6weeks...So I think I may renounce it once I back to Singapore since it only take a day...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:54 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

papamama

Post by papamama » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:19 am

Yes, MC... thank u so much.....all ur information is really appreciated.