Singapore Expats

Services of Tiger Airways

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

How was your experience with Tiger Airways?

Good
53%
Bad
47%

Total votes: 19

wineman

Services of Tiger Airways

Post by wineman » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 7:56 pm

hi ALL,

I have the most horrendous experience during my very first time to use Tiger Airways to go to Krabi, Thailand. From Singapore to Krabi, Tiger Airways is the only direct flight available. Despite friends telling me not to take budget airlines, I thought it cannot be that bad since it is a Singapore owned company and SIA has shares in this airlines. Boy was I wrong!

On 15 March 2010, after boarding TR182 plane to Krabi at Singapore Budget Terminal, we found our seats occupied by other passengers. We nicely spoke to the CIC, and she told us there was nothing she can do. Didn't even bother to check with the passengers who took our seats! Then she ask the Ground Staff from APS (a subsidiary of Singapore SATS Company in charge of Changi Airport operations) to talk to us.

As soon as the Ground Staff from APS, came to us, the lady spoke to us loudly that either we find ourselves seats in the plane or she would want us to disembark the plane. Then she walked to the Pilot's door, gave the door a knock and started talking to the walkie-talkie. She gave us the "you deserve it using Tiger Airways and not other budget airlines" look!!!

Intimidated, we quietly find two seats to be seated ourselves. All this in front of all the passengers in the plane. How embarrassing.

Of course we wrote to the Tiger Airways after we returned from Krabi. BTW, Tiger Airways do not believe in ECO-FRIENDLY or emails. Hence no email address to write to them. Only a Fax number. So you have to print out your complaint letter and fax to them.

Until today, 2 weeks have passed, no reply from Tiger Airways.

So... I would like everyone to share their experience with Tiger Airways. Either good ones or bad ones...

I am planning to visit oriental Hainan Island for holiday this year. Again the only direct flight to Hainan Island is .. you name it.

Please refrain from naming individuals to protect their privacy and to avoid any possible legal action against Singaporeexpats. Thank you for your co-operation.

Moderator.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 1:05 am

I have not flown Tiger yet, but considered it for a flight to Bangkok.
But then I realized their very attractive-looking fares are before taxes, as with all budget airlines, but the taxes at Tiger are MORE THAN DOUBLE those of the others!
I suspected an error and tried to contact Tiger. As the OP said there is no email given anywhere, and my attempts to call any phone number were unsuccessful - it either ended in a recorded message telling me to send a letter or visit their office, or an endless waiting line for "the next operator" on which I hung up after 20 minutes.
I then flew Jetstar and, as many times before (mostly to Taiwan), the experience was adequate for the price (which was only slightly higher than Tiger) and there was no reason at all to complain or be unhappy.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Services of Tiger Airways

Post by Splatted » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 1:28 am

wineman wrote: Intimidated, we quietly find two seats to be seated ourselves. All this in front of all the passengers in the plane. How embarrassing.
If it were me, and I paid by credit card, I would call my CC provider and start a charge-back claim. You paid for reserved seats which you didn't receive and were forced to settle for alternative (inferior) seats.

Essentially, you didn't receive the product/service you paid for.

There are lots of people unhappy with Tiger. I watched one TV show where they showed a family have their flight cancelled by Tiger twice. The money they spent on hotel bookings etc was lost.

It's only because they featured this story on Australian TV that tiger paid for the 3rd booking, and covered the hotel costs. Have to save face on tv, ya know...

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:00 am

What about other airlines like Jetstar or Vigrin Blue? Are the ok?

The only carrier other than SQ that I have flown in the region was Silk Air, which is apparently just a subsidiary anyway. It was perfect to be honest, nice plane, nice service, on time.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:51 pm

aster wrote:What about other airlines like Jetstar or Vigrin Blue? Are the ok?

The only carrier other than SQ that I have flown in the region was Silk Air, which is apparently just a subsidiary anyway. It was perfect to be honest, nice plane, nice service, on time.
If you do a google, you can find the dirt on each airline.

Here's a tweet by the Qantas spokeswoman when flying jetstar (owned by qantas)
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel- ... -kim7.html

Generally, I tend to think, if you go in with the mindset "you get what you paid for" you will never be dissapointed.

phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:43 pm

Splatted wrote: Generally, I tend to think, if you go in with the mindset "you get what you paid for" you will never be dissapointed.
Agreed.

I've flown Tiger thrice and Jetstar once. All my flights with Tiger were good, no delays (I must be extremely lucky), good and prompt service, nothing like what you see on Airways. However my one time with Jetstar was less than smooth, we had delays after delays and even though we were standing right at the boarding gate, (this was Perth airport in oz) nobody informed us of the delays. When we approached the counter staff, all she could tell us was 'it's not ready yet' cuz she didn't know when herself. After some time the flight schedules were updated on the screen and our flight was scheduled to be delayed by 2 hours three times, or 6 hours if you add it all up, so I was prepared to take a little nap and all of a sudden the gate opened and everyone started boarding and we were off. At the end of the day, I was only inconvenienced by a little more than an hour, so I would say it's still a pleasant flight.

They are not called Budget for nothing, although I agree that basic services should maintain.

wineman

Post by wineman » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 1:30 am

Splatted wrote:
wineman wrote: Intimidated, we quietly find two seats to be seated ourselves. All this in front of all the passengers in the plane. How embarrassing.
If it were me, and I paid by credit card, I would call my CC provider and start a charge-back claim. You paid for reserved seats which you didn't receive and were forced to settle for alternative (inferior) seats.

Essentially, you didn't receive the product/service you paid for.

There are lots of people unhappy with Tiger. I watched one TV show where they showed a family have their flight cancelled by Tiger twice. The money they spent on hotel bookings etc was lost.

It's only because they featured this story on Australian TV that tiger paid for the 3rd booking, and covered the hotel costs. Have to save face on tv, ya know...
That is a good idea. never thought of that. So far I had sent 1 letter for refund and faxed the same letter a few days later to Tiger. ZERO response. Better try the CC way to find out if they will respond or not... thanks :wink:
viva vita!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 1:59 am

wineman wrote: That is a good idea. never thought of that. So far I had sent 1 letter for refund and faxed the same letter a few days later to Tiger. ZERO response. Better try the CC way to find out if they will respond or not... thanks :wink:
Well, in the case of AMEX charge-back, the money automatically gets frozen and you are not required to pay interest on it or repay the money to amex. (Haven't tried a charge-back with other CC companies, so not sure how they work)

The dispute forces the merchant to officially respond in order to get the funds released, though I think they have a time frame in which to gather their evidence (can't remember if it's 60 days or less). So you may not see your money refunded before that.

However, even if you fail, you are at least a thorn in their side for a short time frame, and if people had done similar charge-backs and had similar complaints before you to same credit card issuer, I'm guessing it adds a little more credibility to your story.

You've got absolutely nothing to lose, anyway, so go for it.

edit:
also, stick to the facts only
a) you did not get the seat you booked (what you paid for was not what was provided. They didn't keep their end of the booking)
b) you were threatened they would force you to get off if you didn't accept a different seat (forcing you to pay another $70 rebooking fee (per person) if this happened for a flight on a different date)

wineman

Post by wineman » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:28 pm

Splatted wrote:
wineman wrote: That is a good idea. never thought of that. So far I had sent 1 letter for refund and faxed the same letter a few days later to Tiger. ZERO response. Better try the CC way to find out if they will respond or not... thanks :wink:
Well, in the case of AMEX charge-back, the money automatically gets frozen and you are not required to pay interest on it or repay the money to amex. (Haven't tried a charge-back with other CC companies, so not sure how they work)

The dispute forces the merchant to officially respond in order to get the funds released, though I think they have a time frame in which to gather their evidence (can't remember if it's 60 days or less). So you may not see your money refunded before that.

However, even if you fail, you are at least a thorn in their side for a short time frame, and if people had done similar charge-backs and had similar complaints before you to same credit card issuer, I'm guessing it adds a little more credibility to your story.

You've got absolutely nothing to lose, anyway, so go for it.

edit:
also, stick to the facts only
a) you did not get the seat you booked (what you paid for was not what was provided. They didn't keep their end of the booking)
b) you were threatened they would force you to get off if you didn't accept a different seat (forcing you to pay another $70 rebooking fee (per person) if this happened for a flight on a different date)

wow thanks. will definitely give it a try. am using Citibank VISA. now downloading the form from the website. will keep everyone posted on the status...

:cool:
viva vita!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:01 am

Flown Jetstar to Bali twice in last few months (ie 4 flights). No problems, courteous staff. Only grumble was a late night flight taken recently and the seats were really uncomfortable - but then it was a 2 hr flight so could have been worse...
Have also had several experiences with Airasia - usually fine too though service on board not as good as Jetstar.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 1:10 pm

We never pay extra for a seat on Tiger. We turn up at the airport and they allocate us a seat. And we sit wherever they put us. Its cheap and gets you from point to point, :D
No delays, no extra charges that they hide from you.
Zeenit

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 4:15 pm

wineman wrote: , Tiger Airways do not believe in ECO-FRIENDLY or emails.
No, but they have something called a telephone . . .

http://www.tigerairways.com/sg/en/contact_us.php

Why would you just take that sort of treatment? Sorry, but your own fault for not standing your ground

Oh, or you could try this: [email protected]

Perhaps you could then extrapolate the e-mail for Tony Davis . . . umm, let's say something like [email protected] or tony.davis@tigerairways com or something similar . . . and use a creative title for yoruself so the PA doesn't chuck it.

Imagination!

'nuff said Image

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 9:58 pm

I always book my vacations on Tiger/Jetstar/Airsia when they have a promotion running during which you normally pay only taxes and 0$ fare.

I think most people do the same so with the kind of margins that they make I wouldnt really expect too much except for giving me a seat on the plane and dropping me safely to the destination.

So far I have taken about 5 flights from Tiger. During 1 occasion the seat would just not recline back. This flight was from Bangalore to Singapore duration: 4 and half hours. Quite long must say. Also it was a night flight and they kept the side lights ON during the whole journey and I just couldn't sleep.

But then do I have a choice? There is no other airline that operates Singapore to Bangalore at less than 200$ per trip.

On another trip to Langkawi, I had booked the flight 2 months in advance and the flight timing was 3:30 PM while retuning from Langkawi, when we went to board the flight we were told that we need to wait for an hour.

Then we looked at the ticket of our fellow passengers and were astonished to see that the ticket that they had booked had 4:30PM as departure time! They had booked their ticket more recently.

So Tiger had changed their departure time well in advance but never bothered to inform its passengers! I felt that was outrageous. I guess they dont inform passengers for delays like an hour fearing that passengers may backlash at them. But I think thats not always the case, had they informed us earlier, we could have spent 1 hr more in Langakawi instead on waiting in the airport :x

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Post by vozzie » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 9:36 am

Well, this is funny ... I was on the very flight that the original poster talked of.

It appeared to us ( and we couldn't see eveything) that some people were not sseated next to others in their party, and that was the problem. Not special seats. The issue dragged on for ages and we were late departing because of it. In the end, the Operations people had to be called to restore order. The people, in the end, only had to move 2 seats away from where they were.

But, I guess it didn't happen to me, so it's easy to be critical.

Anyway, we've flown Tiger a few times and it's always been drama free.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:49 am

vozzie wrote:Well, this is funny ... I was on the very flight that the original poster talked of.
Either that, or it's happening more frequently than first thought..