Singapore Expats

Is a pint a pint in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 4:57 pm

It's bull really. You buy a 'pint' you get 563ml, that is the contract you are entering into. Only SG's wafty trade standards would say otherwise.

It's like every other bar serving 'Dory fish' bar snacks, which means any damned kinda fish. LOL! They'd be proscuted in any other country.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:05 pm

Makes me laugh how the the local youngster will drink Hoegarden because they think they are getting more for their money because the glass looks bigger. One guy wouldn't believe me until i had to prove to it him!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aster wrote:No wonder people prefer bottled beer here...

Still, it can't possibly be legal to offer a pint and then serve a 400ml glass... :roll:
So that must mean when you tell your secretary to go xerox documents, they ain't legal unless it done on a Xerox copier, huh.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/xerox?view=uk

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Xerox

:P :wink:
Xerox has become a generic term, like the verb to hoover. :) Or a jeep.

But to call something a pint and serve a 40cl glass seems a bit weird, since there are two definitions for a pint and both have more volume than a 0.4L. I'm gonna try an Irish bar this Saturday for the F1 qualifications and see what I get. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:20 pm

Ha hahahahaha!!!! :)

ps @ Saint

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:33 pm

aster wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aster wrote:No wonder people prefer bottled beer here...

Still, it can't possibly be legal to offer a pint and then serve a 400ml glass... :roll:
So that must mean when you tell your secretary to go xerox documents, they ain't legal unless it done on a Xerox copier, huh.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/xerox?view=uk

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Xerox

:P :wink:
Xerox has become a generic term, like the verb to hoover. :) Or a jeep.

But to call something a pint and serve a 40cl glass seems a bit weird, since there are two definitions for a pint and both have more volume than a 0.4L. I'm gonna try an Irish bar this Saturday for the F1 qualifications and see what I get. :)
My whole point. Outside of the UK and "some" commonwealth countries, a pint is a generic term when talking about an open mug of beer. Now, I would agree with you if you were going to go to the store and buy a sealed bottle that has a label on it and it's supposed to hold a pint. But the last I looked I didn't see any labels on any of the mugs I lifted here for years.

Question: do you measure with or without the head?

Give someone an inch and they will take a mile? Do you measure that as well?

:wink: :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:45 pm

Yer didn't say yer were an engineer :-D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 6:25 pm

Just a cantankerous ole coot, that all! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 6:31 pm

SMS, gotcha now, wasn't aware that a pint had crept into common lingo as just a glass of beer.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 6:38 pm

Hahaha.

Pint glasses in the UK carry the Crown symbol. That means a pint is a pint. No mucking around.

http://www.camra-forth-valley.co.uk/ima ... 20pint.jpg

Yeah, you'll give the barman 1/3rd inch, if he wants to get dramatic with the head, otherwise it's a rip-off. Forget Guinness, that's a rip-off anyway (Ooh lets celebrate injecting a liquid with huge amounts of Nitrogen, and then - SURPRISE - it being frothy.... lol

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 3:58 pm

aster wrote:SMS, gotcha now, wasn't aware that a pint had crept into common lingo as just a glass of beer.

It hasn't.... SMS just thinks it has.

The fact is a pint is a pint, fixed. There is no p!ss @rsing around on this one, it is a legitamite unit of measurement and if the bar has "pint" in the menu, a bl@@dy pint is what you should expect.

Following the story from my IndoChine/Forbidden City moment, a year or so we went to Red Dot in Dempsey. Obviously the Foreign Worker behind the bar had been around Singapore a bit cause we ordered pints of something and both looked at the glass very strangely when it arrived. To be very fair the poor guy saw our faces and straight up said, "Yes it's a pint, really!"

We looked at him a bit cross eyed and he took out a small set of weighing scales, pulled out a glass and placed it on top, zero'd the scale then poured water into the glass. Whilst he had to fill the glass to overflowing point, it did in the end weight 560g. He's obviously done it a few times ;)

Okay with the head (though quite small) and some air in the end you'll definately not get a full pint but it's a full 25% closer to the truth than the 400ml glasses supplied in some pubs!

I don't go to any of the IndoChine places anymore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 5:13 pm

http:British SAS / US Special Forces at Mazar Sharif
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ixoOxg_Xk4

Send in the Specials. There is nothing worse than being short changed on a pint! :)