Singapore Expats

Singapore PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
softwareengineer

Singapore PR Application

Post by softwareengineer » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:10 am

Hi,
I would need your advice and help before I submit my PR Application. I have a total working experience of 5 years in IT. I am a Senior Software Consultant working in SG for the past 1.4 Years. I have a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology(Engineering from a reputed university in India). I was on Q1 Pass for the first 10 months of my work here and then was given a P2 Pass during renewal of my EP. I have been married recently (3 months ago) and my wife is staying here with me on an Dependant pass. We have planned to settle down fully in SG. I am planning to apply for my PR ALONE after 3 months so that I would have been in SG for 1.7 years ...Would that be the right time for applying PR? I would want to get PR as a first step towards settling down fully in Singapore for both of us. Since we are recently married, we believe that there would be problems if we apply for PR together. Can I apply PR for myself alone after 3 months and may be after an year apply for my wife? (The only reason to delay her application is for her to have stayed long in Singapore). What are the chances of myself to obtain PR?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Waiting for your valuable suggestions

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 1:23 pm

Unless you have already been here over two years, I'd have to say, while not impossible, your chances are very slim at the moment. Most are being given letters after applying to reply again in two years. As you apparently don't qualify for a P1 pass, this may make it even harder (at the moment). I'm sure you have been reading the papers & watching the news on TV to know that right now is not the best timing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

softwareengineer

Post by softwareengineer » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks. Just want to know little more that at the end of my 2 years working exp at SG, my wife would have just completed 8 months at SG. So, at the end of 2 years should I apply for myself alone ?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 2:19 pm

softwareengineer wrote:Thanks. Just want to know little more that at the end of my 2 years working exp at SG, my wife would have just completed 8 months at SG. So, at the end of 2 years should I apply for myself alone ?
Your wife would lose her DP if you became a PR, would have to apply for a LTSVP for her. As SMS has mentioned, even applying after only being here for 2 years your chances wont be impossible but slim.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 6:41 pm

Got to agree with SMS and Saint, you are much better off just waiting, your wife is better off on DP, though finding a job is difficult for her, at least she has that opportunity to work on a Letter Of Consent from MOM.

LTVSP she will not have that choice. Leave your PR for a while, save up and apply for PR together after your wife has enjoyed 2 years here.

If thinking of buying HDB you need to browse the website to see if you are eligible. I think not until you are both PR

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:39 pm

ksl wrote:Got to agree with SMS and Saint, you are much better off just waiting, your wife is better off on DP, though finding a job is difficult for her, at least she has that opportunity to work on a Letter Of Consent from MOM.

LTVSP she will not have that choice. Leave your PR for a while, save up and apply for PR together after your wife has enjoyed 2 years here.

If thinking of buying HDB you need to browse the website to see if you are eligible. I think not until you are both PR
Hi Ksl,when is the right time to reapply for a spousal PR this yr.Your kind admonition will be appreciated.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:12 am

uc wrote:
ksl wrote:Got to agree with SMS and Saint, you are much better off just waiting, your wife is better off on DP, though finding a job is difficult for her, at least she has that opportunity to work on a Letter Of Consent from MOM.

Hi Ksl,when is the right time to reapply for a spousal PR this yr.Your kind admonition will be appreciated.
Really difficult question, though I would consider how long I have been married and how long as the other half been in Singapore.

The spouse would be on LTVSP until they decide your marriage is going to last, but at a guess i would say the spouse must be here 2 years minimum before they would consider PR, I could be wrong, because I'm sure other variables are used too in the process like education of the spouse and financial circumstances of the household, my thought is if they think you couldn't look after your wife financially for a year or two, you shouldn't have got married.

If you have been turned down once, I would leave it until the spouse has been here 2 years minimum, or appeal on the grounds you are wanting to start a family in Singapore as soon as possible, again they will have all the information especially financial to judge what your position is at the moment, or are you just pestering them, to get her out working.

They are testing you both I would believe to see if there is any staying power in the marriage. Though i am no expert in these matters, i think under the circumstances of the stringent tightening up, may be political with the election not far away.

Once the election is over maybe a better time, so many things are uncertain just now!

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:34 am

ksl wrote:
uc wrote:

Really difficult question, though I would consider how long I have been married and how long as the other half been in Singapore.

The spouse would be on LTVSP until they decide your marriage is going to last, but at a guess i would say the spouse must be here 2 years minimum before they would consider PR, I could be wrong, because I'm sure other variables are used too in the process like education of the spouse and financial circumstances of the household, my thought is if they think you couldn't look after your wife financially for a year or two, you shouldn't have got married.

If you have been turned down once, I would leave it until the spouse has been here 2 years minimum, or appeal on the grounds you are wanting to start a family in Singapore as soon as possible, again they will have all the information especially financial to judge what your position is at the moment, or are you just pestering them, to get her out working.

They are testing you both I would believe to see if there is any staying power in the marriage. Though i am no expert in these matters, i think under the circumstances of the stringent tightening up, may be political with the election not far away.

Once the election is over maybe a better time, so many things are uncertain just now!
Thanks Ksl,but do you think they will renew her ltsvp after it expires while we wait?She's on 1yr ltsvp which they said is renwable...have u seen anyone they renewed for?Though they said we can renew it online,.bu we need that pr for her.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 6:48 am

uc wrote: Thanks Ksl,but do you think they will renew her ltsvp after it expires while we wait?She's on 1yr ltsvp which they said is renwable...have u seen anyone they renewed for?Though they said we can renew it online,.bu we need that pr for her.
UC

Question. I noticed you post same line of question on other thread. Are you holding any PR now while your wife is on 1 yr LTVSP. When is she going to have her renewed ?

MS

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:10 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
uc wrote: Thanks Ksl,but do you think they will renew her ltsvp after it expires while we wait?She's on 1yr ltsvp which they said is renwable...have u seen anyone they renewed for?Though they said we can renew it online,.bu we need that pr for her.
UC

Question. I noticed you post same line of question on other thread. Are you holding any PR now while your wife is on 1 yr LTVSP. When is she going to have her renewed ?

MS

in may ending 2010.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:24 pm

uc wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
UC

MS

in may ending 2010.
Yes I have seen a few PR get a LTVSP renewed for their wives, without a problem though I believe the financial sponsor must earn 2500$ a month, though not 100% sure.

Its not a problem at all if everything is authentic, it will be renewed, 1 year renewal is now done on line, and it can take up to 30 days, don't leave the application too late. Otherwise you will have to visit ICA and get an extention social visit pass until the LTVSP come through.

Ending in May 2010, I would apply now to be on the safe side, make sure your documents are all in order, there is a check list. How long has she been here now?

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:38 pm

ksl wrote:
uc wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: UC

MS

in may ending 2010.
Yes I have seen a few PR get a LTVSP renewed for their wives, without a problem though I believe the financial sponsor must earn 2500$ a month, though not 100% sure.

Its not a problem at all if everything is authentic, it will be renewed, 1 year renewal is now done on line, and it can take up to 30 days, don't leave the application too late. Otherwise you will have to visit ICA and get an extention social visit pass until the LTVSP come through.

Ending in May 2010, I would apply now to be on the safe side, make sure your documents are all in order, there is a check list. How long has she been here now?
She's been here since october2007,then n student pass,but got the lstvp last yr may.She just collected her MBA certificate..I dont think we need to submit any documents for the renewal cos its done online.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:45 pm

uc wrote:
ksl wrote:
uc wrote:
in may ending 2010.

She's been here since october2007,then n student pass,but got the lstvp last yr may.She just collected her MBA certificate..I dont think we need to submit any documents for the renewal cos its done online.
I think you maybe called in once again for finger printing for the new card and to update her education with a copy of the MBA. If you haven't applied for PR status yet, you could submit now its over 2 years too, and it takes 2 months to get an appointment online...

Renew now to give you time in case of any mistakes in the process.

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 1:54 pm

ksl wrote:
uc wrote:
ksl wrote:Yes I have seen a few PR get a LTVSP renewed for their wives, without a problem though I believe the financial sponsor must earn 2500$ a month, though not 100% sure.

I think you maybe called in once again for finger printing for the new card and to update her education with a copy of the MBA. If you haven't applied for PR status yet, you could submit now its over 2 years too, and it takes 2 months to get an appointment online
Ksl,her PR was rejected last year when she's A year and 10months old here and our marriage was just 6months old then.But bow she has her MBA certificate which she didnot have then and now our marriage is above 1yr old plus,i believe she can get it if we try again after 6months.

Should i go and update her MBA certificate with ICA before i renew her lstvp or wait until im asked to?
Please advise pal.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 2:25 pm

If I am not wrong, all changes in circumstances, must be updated and the MBA will now be her highest qualification, though lacking the experience.

You can phone and ask someone there, before you do the online application.

Problem is that ICA issue the LTVSP and not MOM, though you could go down to MOM and ask their advice, how you can get your wife employed. I would think they will say find a company that is prepared to submit an EP application and hope for the best.

Have you discussed setting up your own company? As a PR you are not subjected to the 50k in capital that foreigners living outside of Singapore have to pay. You could submit an application to employ your wife, though these questions you can discuss with MOM, they are very helpful, and will advise you of what you can and cannot do.