Singapore Expats

True Fitness -- wired personal training for potential injury

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
JGzz

True Fitness -- wired personal training for potential injury

Post by JGzz » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:21 pm

At its Parkway gym, s personal trainer was performing a back press on a petite woman on the floor. He, near 200 pounds, pivoted his entire body weight on just his 2 knees. Guess which part of her body he pivoted his knees on? Top of the back thighs!!!

I could not believe my eyes on seeing what damage he could cause. That parts run the important sciatic nerve that descend from the buttock and into the thighs. The nerve branches supply nerve impulses to and from the muscles and skin in the hip joints and thighs, the lower legs, feet and most of the skin below the knee.

This Personal Trainer is at great risk of injuring her sciatic nerves, not to mention blocking the blood flow in the 2 arteries next to the sciatic nerves. The potential damage is unthinkable!!

As a reminder, last year another personal trainer also pivoted his entire weight thru his knees onto the back of someone's knees in performing a back press. Back of the knees are full of nerve branches and is a weak part.

My physiatherapist friend in TTS hospital was horrified when I told her.
What were the 'personal trainers' thinking? Did they know they could seriously injure people and affect their livelihood? Would they do the same to their own mum, brother, wife, husband?

Has True Fitness in-house training failed to train them edequately? Or was it a case of Personal Trainers applying their own misguided belief?

Why a trainer you trust engage in injury stunt on you?
Have you been told .. no pain no gain?
Why can't True Fitness personal trainer use only exercises based on sound exercise physiology?
Why do we believe them and let them do what they think, not knowing where their thinking come from?
Why pay to be injured?

I am worried what I may see everytime I do my workout.
Last edited by JGzz on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:58 pm

Personally, I wouldn't trust ANYBODY in this country who claims they are a "personal trainer". There are probably only a dozen in Singapore who actually know what their are doing and actually keep abreast of the industry and have a real concerns for their clients. And they wouldn't be caught dead in the commercial zoos in shopping centres. From what I've seen, most PT's here are more concerned with the depth of the client's wallet/purse and little else.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 1:55 pm

is it connected to True Yoga?

d.janz

Is causing pain part of getting fit?

Post by d.janz » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 5:25 am

You are not alone in seeing things in True Fitness. There was a middle age lady having her hand worked on by her personal trainer. Her face showed that she was in pain whenever the trainer squeezed her thumb inward. The lady almost stood up from her weight bench everytime she got a sqeeze, but still enduring the pain!!! :???: Looked like she had an injured thumb or hand treated in a questiionable manner by that trainer. I could not stand watching this. Should I say something... or watch her struggling in pain? Battling with my thought....

Then, a gym-goer had the gut to inquire on what the trainer was doing. I heard a ridiculous reply from the trainer. She said the lady client had complaint about the pain on the right wrist and felt sleepy for the workout, so she tried to, in her own words, "...helping her with her problem and energise her to wake her up a little bit." ....I was like, ...eh? What?

I heard the gym-goer said something about what the lady had was a medical issue, not a fitness issue. A fitness trainer should not try to treat a medical issue. Damp right it is. Or maybe she couldn't tell it was not a fitness issue? Impossible! The lady later said that she probably had Corpal Tunnel Syndrome injury or the like. This personal trainer, I was later told, has a qualification in physiotherapy. Eh...what? A physiotherapist should have known better.

I almost burst out laughing when the person asked if she would do this to her own mother, and the trainer hesitated and did not reply. I thought that meant NO. Wow.

I could not help thinking that both the qualification and competency are both questionable. Can you get a physio qualification by passing with all C's and D's? Or was it a correspondance qualification? Sorry to say where is the common sense care? Today, her client is a TCS actor. Good luck.

Not for me. Thank you. No, no.

JGzz

Who is responsible for the well-being of customers?

Post by JGzz » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 6:07 am

The personal trainers themselves are solely responsible OR the gym True Fitness should take charge of the responsibility?

It is an income generator and customer-lurer for the gym, if well administered.

Any fitness gym should manage the service in a way that at the very least, be competent in avoiding injury while improving fitness. These two should go hand-in-hand. Not one at the expense of the other.

Fitness First has managed these quite well over the years, best gym out of the big 3. Hope True Fitness can pull itself together on these.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Who is responsible for the well-being of customers?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 7:04 am

JGzz wrote:
Fitness First has managed these quite well over the years, best gym out of the big 3. Hope True Fitness can pull itself together on these.
You are, of course, assuming that that means they are good? :shock: or the best of a very, very bad deal.

The names Toyota & Enron spring to mind. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

WeightP

Post by WeightP » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 7:58 pm

excuse me, what is a back press?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 8:41 pm

Why do you need to be excused? It's just probably something one of the poor excuses for PT in this country told them. You should know, right? If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, you can try to baffle them with BS. :wink:

WeightP

Post by WeightP » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:14 pm

im sorry, you can say i stupid but i really never hear an exercise call back press before. i just wonder what is that.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:17 pm

eh? googling the term produces top results for an exercise.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

WeightP

Post by WeightP » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 8:10 am

i have googled, it comes out with multiple answer, one is a cat and camel stretch the other one is pose in thai stretch.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 9:52 am

So I guess that means you have a bad case of

Because there are at least two different exercises called the Back Press.' it would now appear that you have done this....

Remember, just because you haven't heard of something, especially if you are a Singapore PT, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It would just show the level of external research over and above that necessary to get the much maligned PT certification, you have actually done. Which tends to confirm what I mentioned in my earlier post about dazzling people with brilliance. :wink:

WeightP

Post by WeightP » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 7:14 pm

i know ur telling me im not good enough to be a sg PT. i know im not and i will keep on learning. doesn't it what life is all about, learn ur mistake. then from there i can be a better PT. sometimes there is alot of different name about every exercise that we do. u called it defferent and i may call it different. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 8:01 pm

A finer specimen of a true Singaporean I've never seen! Typical behaviour, never admit you made a mistake, instead try to change the direction it's going. Classic case. :P

But I am still watching......

tic....toc....tic....toc....
:devil: