Singapore Expats

Dual PR??

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tess88

Dual PR??

Post by tess88 » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:07 pm

Hi all

I need advice.

Does Singapore allow people who has 2 PR status?

I'm a Malaysian, currently I'm holding SPR in Singapore more than 4 years and I'm planning to apply for citizenship; however, I'm not sure whether I can get it successfully or not. (I will submit my application this week)

In the other hand, I'll marry and move to Germany soon maybe 2 years and I think at that period I might apply the PR in Germany. If let's say I get the PR in Germany, do I need to inform Singapore government?

I actually intend to come back to SG after 2 years.

My annual income was just a bit over 25k, not sure if my application for citizenship will be successful or not...

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:41 pm

:mad: :-#
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Dual PR??

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 6:57 am

tess88 wrote:Hi all

I need advice.

I'm a Malaysian, currently I'm holding SPR in Singapore more than 4 years and I'm planning to apply for citizenship; however, I'm not sure whether I can get it successfully or not. (I will submit my application this week)

In the other hand, I'll marry and move to Germany soon maybe 2 years and I think at that period I might apply the PR in Germany. If let's say I get the PR in Germany, do I need to inform Singapore government?

My annual income was just a bit over 25k, not sure if my application for citizenship will be successful or not...

Thank you.
So you at the crossroad now.??
First of all you have the privilege of having SPR right now and chances of getting citizenship is there but you wanted to get PR in Germany as you getting married there hence the opportunity is there BUT you wanted to come back to SG.

So which is which ? You are the very type of person that ICA is closing their doors shut !!
Your passport will show if you have other PR hence the answer is quite straighforward
My advise is decide where you want to set your roots and go from there. Collecting PRs to fill up your passport pages is not the way to go and worse of all what you are doing is denying others who wishes to set their roots in SG and placing a bad rap among foreign expat. :x

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 9:38 am

There is no place on the PR application form that requires you to list other PR's held, and I am sure that people on a US green card have been granted PR.

Having said that, I have to ask... what do you want? If you want to live in Germany, then why SPR/citizenship?

I'd make real sure that I have a clear understanding of the kinds of documents I can get in Germany.

I hold three citizenships by luck of birth and naturalization... you know Singapore will not allow that.

Apply for citizenship... you should know in two years... then, if you get it, you can live in Germany under Singapore citizenship with a German PR.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 1:08 pm

Actually its nobodies business how many PR's you collect on your travels, though some run out automatically when you leave, especially in Europe, and it can also take many years to get PR in some European Countries...

This is not the same has Citizenship, and to be honest what has Singapore got to offer, where you decide to live is down to you. Though if you are from Malaysia, a Singapore passport is more favourable I would have thought for quality of life until you make your mind up what you want in life.

If you remain in Germany it will probably take more than 6 years for citizenship, UK used to be 3 years, Denmark is 7 years and you also have to meet the eligibility requirements, wherever you go!

PR for foreigner in Germany is more than 2 years, I think 3 years before PR is given, until then you get a temporary stay due to marriage but you do not qualify for state benefits has a spouse of a German. Its 3 years in UK, to qualify for all benefits that I do know the same in Europe I'm pretty sure and You cannot leave for longer than 3 years in Europe, without PR running out.

Collecting PR's is no real problem, though that can also take years, your first priority is to get Singapore citizenship. And don't give a damn what other remarks people make, it's none of their business what you do with your life or where your loyalties are.

My own personal experience of travel for 40 years has made me quite objective. :-| after all we pay tax no matter where we live.
sundaymorningstaple wrote::mad: :-#
:lol: 8-) That really does take effort!
My advise is decide where you want to set your roots and go from there. Collecting PRs to fill up your passport pages is not the way to go and worse of all what you are doing is denying others who wishes to set their roots in SG and placing a bad rap among foreign expat.
Who cares, its politics that are at fault and the citizens that refuse to work for the low pay. not the people arriving here to do the work, for those that refuse to work and its the same world wide and its really a problem for everyone.

Where peoples loyalties are on a PR or a Citizenship Passport holder is no one elses business, when they pay tax has a resident.

There are many people with 2 or more passports, and only envious people, with one because their government doesn't allow it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you.
KSL

Yes I agree with you that it is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS how many PRs the Op is going and wanting to collect.
I, like yourself, has been on the road about 30 years approximately now, I do understand where you are coming from.
But read OP post, OP not sure, or if I can second guess , wants to have everything for himself. Just wanting an assurance from the forum on his next step
If OP has been living in SG for some time with a SPR hence it is a no brainer to get SG citizenship first b4 going to Germany
OP has all his hands on everything but not sure where to begin if I dare say.
Unlike many countries whereby collecting PR is a NON Issue, SG Gahmen micro manage everything right down to smallest teenie weenie bit for its citizen.
As such if OP forego his SPR , it is a ONE WAY TICKET OUT for all I can see.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 9:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:

Thank you.
KSL

Yes I agree with you that it is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS how many PRs the Op is going and wanting to collect.
I, like yourself, has been on the road about 30 years approximately now, I do understand where you are coming from.
But read OP post, OP not sure, or if I can second guess , wants to have everything for himself. Just wanting an assurance from the forum on his next step
If OP has been living in SG for some time with a SPR hence it is a no brainer to get SG citizenship first b4 going to Germany
Unlike many countries whereby collecting PR is a NON Issue, SG Gahmen micro manage everything right down to smallest teenie weenie bit for its citizen.

Yes I agree with you that Sg Gahmen will micro manage everything though and the person is probably just wondering how to make a better life for them-self and still not sure if they can adapt in a European Country, many Asians cannot, because of various factors that are sometimes racially made in jest (UK especially) Germany on the other hand is quite different.

Though family bonding is the biggest pyschological problem when away from home and culture shock. In Denmark a Chinese woman in her 30's married a Hong Kong Chinese, to escape China, sadly they divorced because she only wanted the passport and the good life, she lived in my apartment block, no work, speaks very bad Danish and very difficult to employ, because she isolated herself from society and ended up mentally ill, so that she can pick up welfare benefits and send home to her family. The lengths of what some people will do, to escape hardship is real.

So I would expect Singaporean citizenship would have been much preferred, becuase the person is Malaysian looking for a safety net, But it is highly unlikely if they are earning 25k a year to get Citizenship.

So Germany looks like the final ticket :) where they will have to adapt long enough to get Citizenship and most definately a step into the comfort zone, with less hrs worked unless they are conned.

Tragically much trafficking in women is still very common in Europe
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:04 pm

ksl wrote: So I would expect Singaporean citizenship would have been much preferred, becuase the person is Malaysian looking for a safety net, But it is highly unlikely if they are earning 25k a year to get Citizenship. So Germany looks like the final ticket :) where they will have to adapt long enough to get Citizenship and most definately a step into the comfort zone, with less hrs worked.
Sure would like to know where you get your 25K a year figure? I know heaps of Malaysians here who make a LOT more than 25K/year.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote: So I would expect Singaporean citizenship would have been much preferred, becuase the person is Malaysian looking for a safety net, But it is highly unlikely if they are earning 25k a year to get Citizenship. So Germany looks like the final ticket :) where they will have to adapt long enough to get Citizenship and most definately a step into the comfort zone, with less hrs worked.
Sure would like to know where you get your 25K a year figure? I know heaps of Malaysians here who make a LOT more than 25K/year.
Hey Wild Bill Hickok long time no see, you are still quick on the draw I see :P ! Addadude says its time for a pint, what do you say?

The OP says it not me. !
tess88:My annual income was just a bit over 25k, not sure if my application for citizenship will be successful or not...

tess88

Post by tess88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:47 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:

I need advice.

Thank you.
So you at the crossroad now.??
First of all you have the privilege of having SPR right now and chances of getting citizenship is there but you wanted to get PR in Germany as you getting married there hence the opportunity is there BUT you wanted to come back to SG.

So which is which ? You are the very type of person that ICA is closing their doors shut !!
Your passport will show if you have other PR hence the answer is quite straighforward
My advise is decide where you want to set your roots and go from there. Collecting PRs to fill up your passport pages is not the way to go and worse of all what you are doing is denying others who wishes to set their roots in SG and placing a bad rap among foreign expat. :x
You're right, I'm at a dilemma now and there are a lot of factors, which I need to consider, maybe it's not the right time for me to apply SG citizenship.
I so hope I can find out where I can set up my roots earlier but it's really not so easy....

I do appreciate the PR here; where it gave me much conveniences....

tess88

Post by tess88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:02 pm

ksl wrote:Actually its nobodies business how many PR's you collect on your travels, though some run out automatically when you leave, especially in Europe, and it can also take many years to get PR in some European Countries...

This is not the same has Citizenship, and to be honest what has Singapore got to offer, where you decide to live is down to you. Though if you are from Malaysia, a Singapore passport is more favourable I would have thought for quality of life until you make your mind up what you want in life.

If you remain in Germany it will probably take more than 6 years for citizenship, UK used to be 3 years, Denmark is 7 years and you also have to meet the eligibility requirements, wherever you go!

PR for foreigner in Germany is more than 2 years, I think 3 years before PR is given, until then you get a temporary stay due to marriage but you do not qualify for state benefits has a spouse of a German. Its 3 years in UK, to qualify for all benefits that I do know the same in Europe I'm pretty sure and You cannot leave for longer than 3 years in Europe, without PR running out.

Collecting PR's is no real problem, though that can also take years, your first priority is to get Singapore citizenship. And don't give a damn what other remarks people make, it's none of their business what you do with your life or where your loyalties are.

My own personal experience of travel for 40 years has made me quite objective. :-| after all we pay tax no matter where we live.
sundaymorningstaple wrote::mad: :-#
:lol: 8-) That really does take effort!
My advise is decide where you want to set your roots and go from there. Collecting PRs to fill up your passport pages is not the way to go and worse of all what you are doing is denying others who wishes to set their roots in SG and placing a bad rap among foreign expat.
Who cares, its politics that are at fault and the citizens that refuse to work for the low pay. not the people arriving here to do the work, for those that refuse to work and its the same world wide and its really a problem for everyone.

Where peoples loyalties are on a PR or a Citizenship Passport holder is no one elses business, when they pay tax has a resident.

There are many people with 2 or more passports, and only envious people, with one because their government doesn't allow it.
Hi ksl

Thank you so much.
But I got another thing needs to mention and that's making me crazy.
My hubby said let's see Singapore better Australia better or New Zealand better, then, we settle down there.
So, I got to try an error :x

I will give priority to my future family...I wish to get the SG citizenship since I got cpf contribution here and if got anything happen to me, my family here still can get the money I have here.

tess88

Post by tess88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:10 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:

Thank you.
KSL

Thanks.
Nope, it seemed that I'm so greedy to "collect" PR; but I just feel insecure but 1 thing for sure is I want to give up my malaysian citizenship..

tess88

Post by tess88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Ya, I have no degree but only a diploma...low income :-|

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:19 pm

If you are a diploma holder then I'd say if you are doing over 24K/pa then you are pretty on the ball. But yes, it could get rough.l

ksl, yeah, I'm up for a pint or three if you think your ticker can handle it! :P I'd say we are overdue! :lol:

tess88

Post by tess88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:22 pm

ksl wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

Thank you.
KSL

Yes I agree with you that Sg Gahmen will micro manage everything though and the person is probably just wondering how to make a better life for them-self and still not sure if they can adapt in a European Country, many Asians cannot, because of various factors that are sometimes racially made in jest (UK especially) Germany on the other hand is quite different.

Though family bonding is the biggest pyschological problem when away from home and culture shock. In Denmark a Chinese woman in her 30's married a Hong Kong Chinese, to escape China, sadly they divorced because she only wanted the passport and the good life, she lived in my apartment block, no work, speaks very bad Danish and very difficult to employ, because she isolated herself from society and ended up mentally ill, so that she can pick up welfare benefits and send home to her family. The lengths of what some people will do, to escape hardship is real.

So I would expect Singaporean citizenship would have been much preferred, becuase the person is Malaysian looking for a safety net, But it is highly unlikely if they are earning 25k a year to get Citizenship.

So Germany looks like the final ticket :) where they will have to adapt long enough to get Citizenship and most definately a step into the comfort zone, with less hrs worked unless they are conned.

Tragically much trafficking in women is still very common in Europe
Thank you. I really appreciate your advices and I think people's thinking will change from time to time. (I'm still young)

I just want to ensure that I will not offend the rule to get another PR if I fail to get the SG citizenship.