Singapore Expats

Happening Places in S E Asia (Thai, Indo, M'sia, Php, Singapore)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
wineman

Happening Places in S E Asia (Thai, Indo, M'sia, Php, Singapore)

Post by wineman » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:54 pm

Singapore has some of the best known happening places in the world. But being small, we always consider the major cities near us to be our playground as well. Hope we can share some of the happening places which you went and will recommend.. Viva Vita!

Shortlisted places (not in ranking order):

1. St JAMES (Singapore)
2. RCA (Bangkok)
3. CM2 (Bangkok)
3. Zouk (Singapore)
4. Malioboro Disco (Jakarta)
5. Beach Club (KL)
6. The Pent (Bangkok)

Please add to this list.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Happening Places in S E Asia (Thai, Indo, M'sia, Php, Sg

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:19 am

wineman wrote:Singapore has some of the best known happening places in the world.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Nath21 » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:54 am

One man's treasure is another man's trash. If St James and Zouk were in a western country they would be empty. Terible music, poor layout, overpriced drinks, and no atmosphere. Infact I think singaporeans have woken up to the fact already as St James is nearly empty anyway. Zouk is always full because it has no competition with regards to a big dance club for youngsters.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 2:58 pm

<General> Bwahahaha :)

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 3:08 pm

wineman wrote:Singapore has some of the best known happening places in the world. But being small, we always consider the major cities near us to be our playground as well. Hope we can share some of the happening places which you went and will recommend.. Viva Vita!

Shortlisted places (not in ranking order):

1. St JAMES (Singapore)
2. RCA (Bangkok)
3. CM2 (Bangkok)
3. Zouk (Singapore)
4. Malioboro Disco (Jakarta)
5. Beach Club (KL)
6. The Pent (Bangkok)

Please add to this list.
St James? Are you having a laugh? Last time I was there an S Club 7 tribute band was on stage! :???:

Zouk only good for the top DJ's it attracts and cheap entrance fee. However it is nothing compared to the likes of Fabric in London.

Going to Jakarta next month so will test out this Malioboro perhaps.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 3:24 pm

Wellman wrote: St James? Are you having a laugh? Last time I was there an S Club 7 tribute band was on stage!
eeeewww....
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 4:33 pm

Wellman wrote:

Going to Jakarta next month so will test out this Malioboro perhaps.
check www.jakarta100bars.com

might give you reference on where to go..although...its pretty annoying checking this website..for me as a woman that is...

wineman

Post by wineman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:58 pm

Nath21 wrote:One man's treasure is another man's trash. If St James and Zouk were in a western country they would be empty. Terible music, poor layout, overpriced drinks, and no atmosphere. Infact I think singaporeans have woken up to the fact already as St James is nearly empty anyway. Zouk is always full because it has no competition with regards to a big dance club for youngsters.
Looks like we r leaving in a fish tank then. The reason I like St James is the "not-intimidating" feeling you get when u arrive there. I can start drinking at Peppermint bar from 6:30pm until 11. then go inside Boiler to see some Filipino gigs, get some good laugh... then heard to Movida to get drunk. Of course, if the govt allows naked dancers like in Jakarta or BKK, it will add to the atmosphere.... :shock:
haha

so what will you recommend to be a good one in Singapore? or take a 1.5hr flight to JKT to get the kick? 8-)
viva vita!

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:32 pm

wineman wrote:The reason I like St James is the "not-intimidating" feeling you get when u arrive there.
Where or how do you get the intimidating feeling from a nightclub in Singapore? :?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 6:02 am

Perhaps it goes hand in hand with a 6 hour drinking binge with the intent to get drunk?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:38 am

wineman wrote:so what will you recommend to be a good one in Singapore? or take a 1.5hr flight to JKT to get the kick? 8-)
I wouldn't fly 1,5hrs anywhere to go to a club... What's the big frigging deal? :) Never even been to Zouk and I live like 10 minutes away on foot.

You want a fun time, go to Orchard Towers on a Sunday afternoon (lunchtime onwards) for a crazy atmosphere that will make you think it's 2am. Naughty Girl is one such place. Definitely a must-do experience. :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:49 pm

+1 on Naughty Girl!

wineman

Post by wineman » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 1:10 am

Wellman wrote:
wineman wrote:The reason I like St James is the "not-intimidating" feeling you get when u arrive there.
Where or how do you get the intimidating feeling from a nightclub in Singapore? :?
when you see clubbers with hanging/swinging balls staring on your face either above the belt or below the belt... :P
viva vita!

Wellman
Regular
Regular

Post by Wellman » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 9:20 am

wineman wrote:
Wellman wrote:
when you see clubbers with hanging/swinging balls staring on your face either above the belt or below the belt... :P
Sorry I don't get it :???:

wineman

Post by wineman » Tue, 27 Apr 2010 1:24 am

As BKK is getting messy, i give a miss to visit the City of Angels for partying.

Visited Club Ratchada at Cainhill some months ago. Gave it a try as I missed the smiles of thai dancers.

I must admit that this is a nice joint to visit once a while, but not regularly! getting expensive if you start to buy garlands for the Singers....

I love the happy hours... SGD40 for one tower of Tiger beer! Even cheaper Peppermint Club at St James! 8-)
viva vita!