Singapore Expats

Filing US personal taxes

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
visitanamika

Filing US personal taxes

Post by visitanamika » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:51 pm

Folks..

1. I am having difficulty paying for tax software such as TurboTax since it does not take Non-US billing addresses.
2. Typical taxforms that I would download from web do not have fields for writing the country name or providing Singapore PIN codes

Any info on the best way to file the taxes from Singapore - my case is quite straight forward.

-Anamika

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 11:33 pm

Easy one mate,

Just go here:

http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/fo ... tions.html

Download the forms, instructions and/or publications that you require. Print them out using Adobe Acrobat (either reader or standard). Fill out the hardcopy. Sign 'em and get 'em postmarked BEFORE the 15th. Mine are going out tomorrow. Been filing standard 1040's with a Singapore address for 27 years now. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:36 am

Have you tried buying it at Amazon?

US embassy has a rack full of forms but SMS has the better idea.

visitanamika

Post by visitanamika » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 3:45 am

Thanks..

I tried Amazon - it does not allow you to download the Turbo Tax software if you give out a foreign address for the credit card payment. But I will do the SMS way - fill the forms manually. Couple of quick questions..

1. What are the mandatory docs to attach? IR8A etc.,? I will be in Singapore for next year or so - what are the receipts etc., that I need to keep record as a result of filing the 2555?

2. Any idea if children's school fees (not paid by employer) can be part of the housing and other costs that can be excluded as part for 2555? One of the US tax consultant had asked for this info on their website - not sure if this should be included then?

Thanks.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 5:31 pm

School fees paid by the employer are taxable income from a US tax standpoint. No, you can't exclude them as you do with housing. Even housing has a limit.