Singapore Expats

Dermatologist for acne

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Dermatologist for acne

Post by Blue Sapphire » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 7:30 pm

Can anyone recommend a reputable dermatologist to treat acne in Singapore?

My teenage bro has a bad case of acne, he is here on a short holiday so need to send him somewhere we wont be wasting time and money at.

Any recommendations from anyone that has tried a clinic and has seen improvement would be most appreciated.

heikal

Post by heikal » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 2:21 pm

hi, i used to have my fair share of acne. was on meds from the polyclinics, erythamacin. was working, but each time i weaned off the meds, it'll pop out again. my friend had left overs of doxycycline so i took them (not recomended) and it kinda cleared? went over to this clinic and asked for more pills under her name and now my breakouts only occur if i sleep less than 4-5 hours per day.

went to DR-x at this tong building beside lucky plaza if im not wrong. they have a website, might want to buzz them. my friend said their consultation is abt ... $30-60 if im not wrong. not too bad for vanity's sake.

oonkoonbei

Post by oonkoonbei » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:49 am

loke skin clinic? dr georgia lee?

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 1:26 am

Before I saw any recommendations above I was recommended to go to Mallika's Clinic at Gleneagles Medical centre. I wont be going back there again! Her consultation fees are exorbitant. And with fees like that you'd expect excellent service instead of a rude lady! She has such a bad attitude. I almost fainted with the fee + meds. Or is it just standard to come out with over $500+ for acne consultation and meds in just one visit?

Have no choice but to allow my bro to try the stuff because they are so expensive.

Has anyone used Roaccutane?

Still on the lookout for good dermatologists that charge reasonably. I'm not saying I'm looking for cheap places but I don't want to get ripped off either.

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 5:49 pm

Tried the local GP? They usually treat the problem with antibiotics and a topical cream. Not that expensive.

If after a few months and still no improvements, get a referral to the National Skin Centre in Novena, cheaper option than private dermas. They may want to treat the problem with roccuatane, laser, more antibiotics.. it all depends.

Becareful of roccutane though. You need to do a liver function test first as it is very toxic. The side effects are pretty bad, dry itchy skin, can't be exposed to the sun for a long time.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 9:40 pm

Can try Dr Yeak at novena medical centre.

Been with her since i was 18 years old. 2 years already. Am taking acnotin now. Face is under control. Very nice place, staff and doc. :D

dandydandelion

Post by dandydandelion » Fri, 09 Apr 2010 8:33 pm

well, a single product might be able to help you guys battle nagging acne conditions. i've been using clearify from www.skinbasique.com over the past three months. all i can say is that it tames my skin and prevents acne infections even before i notice them.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Fri, 09 Apr 2010 9:44 pm

It sounds more like some of you trying to market certain products.

dandydandelion

Post by dandydandelion » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:52 am

hi, dont think its a fair comment if someone is sharing from her personal experience.

Blue Sapphire
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Blue Sapphire » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:44 pm

I apologize if you are heartily sharing from experience. Its just that you only had one post in the forum and right away recommending a product.

Well I hope you can elaborate and share more regarding the effects of this product. Where can buy etc?

Also my comment was not directly pointed at you, I did have other people send me messages about meeting up to discuss certain products.

king87

Post by king87 » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 5:50 pm

Not sure if that skinbasique works maybe you can advise us after using it.

But for serious acnes... like having more than 4-5 cysts all the time then it is best to go on accutane. it is not cheap but effective. not sure if polyclinics have them, some GP have, National skin centre will have too. Some major side effects to note too.

Anything less serious can try antibiotics (pill or cream) like what heikal said, think it is slightly cheaper too, whether acne comes back after medication is on individuals.

Another effective way is to use benzoyl peroxide BP. this u can read more on acne.org. Guardian etc. will be selling other brands.

I've taken accutane, now only using BP. minor breakouts ocassionally... but seldom see acne.

dandydandelion

Post by dandydandelion » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 9:37 am

i can understand where u are coming from, blue sapphire :)

i've personally had really bad breakouts and started to develop an oily complexion three months after i came to back singapore. i was contemplating to undergo a course of oral medication as a last resort but i have concerns over its sustainability and effects it would have on my body in the long run. i am unwilling to risk my well being for beauty.

i chanced on this product called clearify via facebook and found that two of my other friends have been using it as well. it seemed less invasive with plant extracts, and i purchased one online. my skin became visibly less oily and little bumps started to disappear in about 4 to 5 days. after a week, it was pretty obvious that my complexion was less blemished and i went easy on my foundation. the bigger bumps took a bit longer to go for me. close to 2 weeks? i find it rather fast acting in subsiding pimples which are just about to erupt and prevents those impending breakouts that i know that will soon ravage my skin.

i'm on my fourth bottle now and my application frequency is reduced from twice to mostly once daily. i find it pretty easy to use and my skin got progressively clearer. i dont really go out with make up these days. it's very light, like water and i apply it first before i slap on my moisturizer before bedtime. and i use a little of it only at concerned areas during the day. not sure if there is a physical store in singapore that sells it, but it seems like they can only be purchased at skinbasique.com

cynwyd

Post by cynwyd » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:34 pm

Try blue light phototherapy. dries up pimples fast, no orals, and maybe add creams if neccessary. I did that when I was trying to get pregnant and didn't want to take or apply any meds

paulchen83

Post by paulchen83 » Thu, 22 Apr 2010 3:08 am

hi
Last edited by paulchen83 on Mon, 15 Jun 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

miraj

Post by miraj » Sat, 24 Apr 2010 1:16 pm

i agree phototherapy works! my skin used to have terrible acnes. it's pretty uncomfy cause you tend to lose self confidence and you cant show your face much? and it looks horrible. then one of my friend recommend me to a clinic and then i tried it. its just a bright light shinning on your face for few minutes where your pimples are and then after awhile you'll instantly see that the pimple dries up. the effect is pretty impressive.its mainly for killing the bacteria that causes breakouts. though you have to do it like about once a month i think?, the pricing and how often? i cant remember. if anyone wants to try the clinic i went to? just search for Prive Clinic. hope it helps :)
Miraj