Singapore Expats

Boat Services for Marine Industry

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
chixchix
Editor
Editor

Boat Services for Marine Industry

Post by chixchix » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:04 pm

One of my friends would like to open up a company which will provide Launch ( boat ) services for ship crew or anyone else who needs to go to a ship that is in the outside waters. I mean out in the anchorage,etc.

Can anyone advise more information on what are the licenses needed to operate such boats ?
Also, where to advertise to get the boat drivers, their insurance,etc.

Your good advise is much appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:23 am

Do you think that they will be able to compete with the 100 year old lighters that are and have been doing that jobs for 50 or more years? There are probably a hundred of them working here now.

However, on the off chance your friend wants to lose his money, you could probably steer here to the Singpore Coast Guard, and they could probably tell him everything he's need to know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:02 pm

I dont think he will lose money as he is partnering up with another launch company that has been established for over 10 years but too much of demand but they dont want to spend money buying other boats. On the other hand, my friend, at the moment, is the middlemen of his current clients,and introduces them to another launch company.So he though why not venture on his own...he did ask me for suggestion whether should he partner with the established firm or go strike on his own..
Always have a smile on that face!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 8:55 am

Too much demand? Have you looked over the Singapore straits lately? Two years ago, packed with container ships and bulk carriers waiting to get into the port. Now, packed with empty ships riding high and oilers waiting for business. Singapore port is off more than 35 percent.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 10:16 pm

However, vessels will still need Marine Surveyors to go onboard to carry out Bunkering.Therefore,thats when they will need this launches to send them.
Always have a smile on that face!