Singapore Expats

HELP Please. LTSVP / EP ??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
shameenali
Regular
Regular

HELP Please. LTSVP / EP ??

Post by shameenali » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 4:11 pm

HI,

Iam an Indian National currently working in Qatar for the last 3 years as a Fuso Sales Consultant for Mitsubishi Motors. Holding a university degree issued by Southern New Hampshire University - USA. (dont believe the university is on the MOM approved list). Iam getting married to a Sporean on the 1st of Jan 2011. Am looking for advice regarding my residential status in Singapore. Do I enter on a Long Term Social Visit Pass then apply for PR immediately or do i try to get a job first & enter on an EP then apply for PR saying after 2 years. I believe what with the new budget the situation is getting tougher with regards to EP/PR application.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 5:39 pm

Frankly speaking, you are going to have to try to find a job and go the EP route. The fact that you aren't even married yet and don't have a job here, means you cannot apply for PR anyway. And, once you get married to a local, they will probably make you wait 2 years before granting you a chance for PR as they will want to ensure that you didn't get married ONLY so that you could get PR without "Qualifying" for it by an Employment Pass.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 9:35 pm

Am just curious... I should be able to enter on a LTSVP (criteria for approval: wife being financially able to support me plus my qualifications) & then look out for a job convert to EP? Reason i'am asking this is because we have been applying for sometime now & haven't had much luck.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:07 pm

shameenali wrote:Am just curious... I should be able to enter on a LTSVP (criteria for approval: wife being financially able to support me plus my qualifications) & then look out for a job convert to EP? Reason i'am asking this is because we have been applying for sometime now & haven't had much luck.
Yes you can providing your wife is earning more than 2500$, you are entitled to a long term visit pass.

I would suggest you get your future wife to ensure that documentation is done, with the help of ICA, to clear any problems that may have been implemented since September 2009.

Once you have the LTSVP apply for PR status through your wifes sponsorship, there maybe the alternative to apply for landed PR, I do not know, though your wife will be able to ask about the alternatives that are open. You may also have to do NS once PR is given depending on your age.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:17 pm

ksl wrote:Yes you can providing your wife is earning more than 2500$, you are entitled to a long term visit pass.
Entitled? Pretty strong choice of a word I think. Elgible, I think, would be a better choice don't you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks GUYS/GURLS. Appreciate the info.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 7:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:Yes you can providing your wife is earning more than 2500$, you are entitled to a long term visit pass.
Entitled? Pretty strong choice of a word I think. Eligible, I think, would be a better choice don't you?
I'm a rebel don't forget and please note, that i did say to seek out the information before getting married, so entitled is in accordance with the eligibility :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:29 pm

You have to be eligible before you can be entitled. Don't put the cart before the horse. :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 2:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You have to be eligible before you can be entitled. Don't put the cart before the horse. :P
I would suggest you get your future wife to ensure that documentation is done, with the help of ICA, to clear any problems that may have been implemented since September 2009.
If the wife looks into the documentation before they get married, she will know if she is entitled, because as you say, eligible is before entitled, which I already took into account :lol: :cool: You missed the race horse, it was so fast the cart came long after :wink:

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 2:17 pm

Guys is the S pass in someway or the other inferior to the E pass with regards to ease in changing employment in the future...upgrading to a PR...

Ive secured an offer & the employer is going to apply for an E pass (keeping my fingers crossed on that) & lets say if the powers that be decide against givin me an E pass (even after appeal & me meetin them personally at the MOM wid originals docs) wud I be in some sort of disadvantage if i enter on an S pass?? I did the online assessment test = most likely to get an s pass.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Feb 2010 6:51 pm

Some disadvantage but better than no advantage at all.

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 1:43 pm

Hello PPl,

Just an update: Mom online tracker says that my application for EP has been recieved on the 17th of March. Status: PENDING :) I take it that normal processing time involved is 3-4 weeks? But i did read somewhere on the forum 4-6 weeks??? Am not in a hurry to get moving there but its the tension thts disconcerting....

Pending: Does that mean verification is done file in the hands of the decision makers for yes/no r is it jus PENDING hahaha I knw this is kinda dumb but humor me plz :) coz once again I did read somewhere that there was a PENDING VERIFICATION status shown which later changed to PENDING...

Have a nice day ppl :)

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 2:43 am

Just to close the chapter Got my EP approved today. 4 weeks processing time on the dot. :)

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 3:10 am

Congratulations :)

shameenali
Regular
Regular

Post by shameenali » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 5:42 pm

Thank You :)